“Wedding Reception”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Darwen
Lancashire
“Wedding Reception”
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We had held our wedding and reception at the beautiful Whitehall Hotel in Darwen after looking around at several other venues in the area and I was not to be disappointed. The whole experience was delightful and I will always look back fondly on a very special day for us. The staff and in particular the manager Nick went out of their way to make our day one for us and our guests to remember for a life time. In the weeks and months leading up to the big day they carefully helped us plan every single detail, nothing was too much trouble, even when we changed our plans a few times! The day itself went like a dream, the atmosphere was amazing , the surroundings are to die for, the food was first class. We wanted a special day and that's what we got. It was our day surrounded by family and friends. I've always hated the way at larger venues where we have been to weddings there have been boards up with the names of several happy newly weds who were all celebrating at the same hotel. Here we were made to feel special...........very special ! The only sad part was the day had to end at all and the staff in charge were very strict about serving our non resident guests after the music had finished which was a little bit sad as some of our guests had travelled quite a distance. In a way I did feel like Cinderella who had been to the ball as everything stopped at midnight but I got to stay with my Prince Charming !! Overall I would recommend it to anyone wanting a personal, well planned wedding in glorious surroundings. We will certainly be going back to stay again (even though we only live down the road) to bring all those happy memories back. It was fantastic. Thank you to everyone at the Whitehall you made my dreams come true

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — It was all liked
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
UK
Reviewed 21 August 2008

This was really promising, a nice old building in nice surroundings. On entering the building it looked nice though my bubble was soon burst by the smell, it smelled like an old people's home. The staff at reception were fine and we let them know we'd come down for breakfast rather than have it in the room.

The room was large but again smelled and while the decor was newish it jarred and seemed cheap. The hairdryer had a dangerous loose cable and the kettle worked but was totally scaled up inside and grubby outside. I made some tea and was disgusted to find the crockery was actually sticky and looked like it still had residue of lipstick on it, as if it hadn't been washed properly.

The bed linen was stained - I think I might have got the same "dried blood" sheet as a previous review!

After experiencing the room I wondered what the hygiene in the kitchen was like and so we left without even a cup of tea in the morning.

• Liked — It had wifi
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EthanAdam
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I thought it was about time I posted a review as I have been staying here regularly for 12 months now. The staff and atmosphere make this small hotel really special. The care and attention guests recieve is second to none. The food is always good and if you want something different this is always accomodated. Overall I would recommend the WhiteHall as a super place to stay, where you will always be looked after.
Thanks to you all.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reviewed 29 February 2008

Stayed on a business trip and would stay again. Lovely old manor house with 16 bedrooms. Its been updated over the years so rather eclectic decor. The old part of the hotel is the reception area, lounge and bedrooms with a lovely feel. The lounge had a lovely fire with big leather couches which made for a not chill before dinner (or you can go into the funky bar area if so inclined) There is a brand new restaurant that is the complete opposite (called MJs) with blond wood, cafe style setting and paintings of bubbles and gold fish tanks. Hip! I had a very spacious bedroom with a view over the valley. Some parts of the room decor are old. The door handles and locks are basic and you get given an enormous key, so its a bit quirky. I liked the four poster bed. Good work desk. TV (with DVD player) only has 5 channels however I think you can pay for SKY.. For £65 - £80 b&b and £15 set dinner menu or al a carte choice I was surprised how good everything was. £80 is for the bridal suite if you are so inclined. The staff really care about guests and go out of their way to assist. I ate in restaurant both nights and enjoyed my meal immensely. The breakfast is in the rose room (old part of the hotel) in the mornings and had a fairly usual hot selection which you ordered. Nice fruit salad. There is wireless internet in the lounge. I was able to use it in my room but apparently not all rooms are covered. There are no leisure facilities and the venue is used for weddings on weekends. I would definitely recommend it for the business traveler during the week, home away from home. Darwen is a teeny village near Blackburn and Bury / Boltonis about 20 minutes drive away. There is a Thai restaurant in Darwen called the Little Elephant and also an Italian restaurant. Great value and lovely staff.

• Liked — Lovely lounge with fire and leather couches, newspapers
  • Disliked — door handles in room
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
Islay
Reviewed 22 January 2008

I have just had the most wondeful customer care experience in this fantastic hotel .
Well done all the staff ,with special mention of Janet who deserves top marks for her attention to detail .Celebrations of a birthday party were made very special .
This is how hotels should be run .Congratulations to one and all , and thank you so much .

Stayed January 2008
Lancashire
Reviewed 9 November 2007

Our group of 40 friends have been visiting the Whitehall for many years, using it as a venue for our 'Dinner/Lectures'. We have always been very satisfied with the food and service, but our latest visit there surpassed the previous visits with the food, presentation and service.
We had a set meal chosen by me from their table d'hote menu and every one of the four courses was perfectly cooked, served and presented.
I would recomend the Whitehall to anyone wanting good food, good value and good service.

Stayed November 2007
blackburn, lancashire
Reviewed 9 November 2007

After many a visit to various locations to choose our venue for our wedding reception, we finally chose Whitehall. What a great decision! We both couldn't have asked for anything more. Fantastic food, great service and stunning surroundings.
We also had a lot of family traveling a long way who wanted to stay at the venue too. Everyone loved it and will be going back! All the rooms where perfect and even the breakfast the morning after was superb.
So a big thankyou to All the staff at Whitehall for making it such a memorable day.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone thinking of just stopping over or even having a wedding there!

• Liked — Staff and of course the food! Also fantastic Fish tanks in the restaurant
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darwen
Astley Bank Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!