“My Best Friends Wedding”
Review of Whitehall Hotel

Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Darwen
Bolton, United Kingdom
“My Best Friends Wedding”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My friend got married here and we was all day guests. We found the hotel hard to find we took the wrong road and ended up on someones drive way haha. when we finally arrived we thought wow it was a well looked after old building and we expected nothing but the best for my friend. I arrived early in the morning to do the bridesmaids hair they came and greeted me and walked through the restaurant to their rooms and I was wowed with the funky modern colours, flat screen televisions to the wall I couldn't wait to see mine. The hotel staff was very polite and let us check in early and directed us to our room. we went up the stairs and through the doors and opened our door I was gutted with our old fashioned room it was like we was in a totally different hotel to our friends. We got ready and went down to the ceremony it was beautiful and the room was gorgeous. when that was over we was able to go and sit in the bar or out in the gardens whilst waiting for the sit down meal room to be set up and when it was ready it was another gorgeous set up I couldn't quite believe it was the same room as the one she had her ceremony in the food was delicious the lamb was so lean best lamb iv ever tasted to be fair. Then on for the evening do again just as good and just as quick each time to get ready. the drinks were expensive but they always are at weddings. when the bar shut and the party was over we sat in the bar room whilst the staff cleaned up and they offered us a lock in we could have any drink and get the bill to our room which we paid on the check out. Brilliant. The breakfast in the morning was great you could have any fruit cereals yoghurts you could ask for and the cooked breakfast was made per order delicious. they did my friend justice thank u whitehall

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Haven't been to the Whitehall for a few years. We booked in the restaurant at short notice for a Valentines meal. The staff were excellent & couldn't do enough for us. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant had been updated & now has a lovely modern feel. We were greeted with a complimentary drink & canapés & a free caricaturist, which was a nice touch & had all the guests interacting comparing & laughing at their pictures. The food & service was excellent & comparable with Astley Bank, which has usually been our preferred venue for special occasions. One small gripe, the fire had been allowed to go out in the lounge & even though the staff soon relit it, the lounge itself was rather chilly. That said, we will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JEM3333
Cambridge
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The staff were very helpful but did not like the decor in the bedroom, definitely not the black curtains. The extractor fan in the bathroom was not working and there were a couple of holes in the towels. The breakfast area was not a bit warm or inviting and the poached eggs I ordered were hard in the middle, the worst poached eggs I have ever tried to eat. On the second night we decided to eat at the Astley Bank Hotel just down the road and the food there was marvellous and not expensive. If I had to book a stay in Darwen again I would definitely opt for Astley Bank.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Maria D
Reviewed 3 February 2014

There are not many choices and although we initially chose no.1 in Darwen, we ended up in the Whitehall due to lack of availability in the other and there is no regret.

The staff is very nice and welcoming. The hotel is a bit old-fashioned in its decor and apart from the modern flat-screen TV, this could have been a hotel in the 80s. That may sound too negative, it is all comfortable and very clean. In fact I had my longest sleep in a few years in that room, I slept for 10 hours!

My only critcism is that I had no wi-fi connection in my room and on raising that the response was "i know, internet is a bit hit-and-miss. It depends on which room you have". This could probably be solved with a few signal repeaters. For me that is a big challenge as it was a work trip and I need to send out a few emails.

Dinner was lovely. We had a few drinks by the fireplace after which we were escorted to the dining room where we enjoyed a nice steak. The options on the menu were limited but from what we had and what we could observe it was all fresh and a decent quality. Service was again great and the value of the food was good.

Breakfast the next day was in the dining room again and breakfast was included in our rate. This included a number of options for cooked breakfast such as kippers, full english and other options.

Next time I'd love to stay there again, but I will remember to ask for the right room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good wifi signal
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here on Friday night (24/01/14) for one night, as soon as we arrived the staff could not do enough for us....We booked in then up to our very nice room only to find a beautiful aqua box of flowers that my partner had arranged with the hotel to surprise me with (thank you to whoever got them, they are lovely). We decided to go to bar for a few drinks and we couldn't even get to the bar because staff were so quick in offering to get our drinks and even carried them through whilst we had dinner which I must say was beautiful. I have worked in hotels for years and I think I'm very picky about food and service, well no picking here because the staff were wonderful, friendly and very fast to ensure you have all that you need for a wonderful stay in this little jem of a hotel. I have no doubt in the world that we will be back to this wonderful Hotel again very soon, I can honestly say that I would recommend anyone to stay at the Whitehall Hotel, its well worth the money and you will have a fantastic stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool _ England
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I came here with 3 other friends to celebrate New Years Eve.
It was superb.
A warm and friendly welcome, followed by great food and superb entertainment.
The food, service and overall ambience was excellent.
If you are in Darwen, i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tonyr1
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I was to have an early meeting in Darwen the following morning so stayed here overnight to make sure I was not late. I was not expecting to stay in such a warm & friendly place.

The room was modern, warm & clean, bathroom was just about right.

I decided to eat here and was surprised to find such a good menu, steak was my order and was cooked to my specification, blue, its difficult to find anyone that knows what a blue steak is these days let alone find someone that knows how to cook one 10/10 for this alone. Wine was very good and complimented my meal.

The staff were all excellent, the receptionist even put an additional heater in the restaurant as she felt it was a little chilly.

I shall definitely stay here again.

Many thanks

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Neil-Bullows, Owner at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear IRW1968,
Thank your comments regarding your last visit to the Whitehall. We are all delighted that both you felt that the staff, our receptionist and food to be all excellent. I have passed on your comments to both the chef and all of the team and hope we welcome you back in the not so distant future.
Best wishes
Neil Bullows
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darwen
Astley Bank Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!