“Sunday Mothering Sunday”
Review of Whitehall Hotel

Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Darwen
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We went there for a Sunday Lunch. From the moment we arrived we were treated as if we were the most important people of the day.
The service was fantastic and the food superb. The way that the staff looked after us made us want to return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Whitehall1, General Manager at Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Maurice R - thank you for taking time to review The Whitehall Hotel

I am delighted that you enjoyed our Mothers Day offering and that you where made to feel like the most important people of the day.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Whitehall Hotel

Reviewed 29 March 2014

After a slight rocky start slight mix up over booking I requested a ground floor which was not a problem. First impressions lovely faded grandeur of a country house hotel, although you first drive through a busy street of terraced houses then the hotel is up a drive it emerges and looks impressive. It is very quiet. My room was quite funky and modern which was a surprise after walking through the traditional lounge . I looked at the bistro style table and chairs in my room with suspicion anyone reading my reviews in the past will know how important it is to me to have comfortable chair as I hate having to sit on the bed. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they were. The room was a generous size and well appointed with bath shower over. Lots of hot water. My heating had developed a fault so I was given a heater although I could have moved but on my return the next evening it had be repaired and the room cosy. Only negative was the height of the shelf with the hospitality tray it was level with the top of my head. I also banged my head on it a couple of times as the space for your suitcase was directly below. The food was amazing in the five days every meal was exceptional in the cooking and presentation. Staff first rate very attentive and professional. Would certainly stay again if in the area in the future.

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room 25 which was very modern but I believe the rooms upstairs are more traditi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank janetjohn001

Dear Janetjohn001

Thank you for taking time to review The Whitehall Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with ourselves after the slight confusion upon arrival, it is particularly pleasing to hear that the problem with heating was dealt with very quickly with minimal disruption to your stay.

I will pass your comments onto both the staff who made your stay pleasant and to our Chef's who will be delighted by your comments.

I will have a discussion with our maintenance team to see if we can improve the location of the hospitality try in the ground floor rooms.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I booked a night at the Whitehall for my husband's birthday last weekend and didn't regret it. We got married here 5 years ago and haven't been back since then, until now. We stayed in the huge bridal suite (room 31) which was so comfortable. It has chairs, a chaise-longue, a four poster bed, a massive shower, a bath and loads of room. We ate in the restaurant which was very nice (but I must say I missed MJ's... - that restaurant was fantastic!). A lovely touch was offering my husband a free dessert with "Happy Birthday" in chocolate piping on the plate - the little extras make a hotel stand out. Because it was quiet we had one gentlemen tend to us for the whole stay and he was brilliant - courteous, helpful, cheerful and professional. Breakfast was hearty and tasty with quality ingredients. The wedding room has had a revamp and looks great but the heart of the place is still there - warm, cosy, clean and welcoming, and we thoroughly enjoyed being back.

Room Tip: Room 31 the bridal suite is beautiful. They also have another large suite available.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bolton2013

Thank you for taking time to review The Whitehall Hotel.

We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your husbands birthday with ourselves and that you enjoyed your stay.

I will pass your kind words onto our Assistant Manager Peter who I believe was the gentleman on duty during your stay and also to our Head Chef Simon who prepared the birthday message for your husband.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My friend got married here and we was all day guests. We found the hotel hard to find we took the wrong road and ended up on someones drive way haha. when we finally arrived we thought wow it was a well looked after old building and we expected nothing but the best for my friend. I arrived early in the morning to do the bridesmaids hair they came and greeted me and walked through the restaurant to their rooms and I was wowed with the funky modern colours, flat screen televisions to the wall I couldn't wait to see mine. The hotel staff was very polite and let us check in early and directed us to our room. we went up the stairs and through the doors and opened our door I was gutted with our old fashioned room it was like we was in a totally different hotel to our friends. We got ready and went down to the ceremony it was beautiful and the room was gorgeous. when that was over we was able to go and sit in the bar or out in the gardens whilst waiting for the sit down meal room to be set up and when it was ready it was another gorgeous set up I couldn't quite believe it was the same room as the one she had her ceremony in the food was delicious the lamb was so lean best lamb iv ever tasted to be fair. Then on for the evening do again just as good and just as quick each time to get ready. the drinks were expensive but they always are at weddings. when the bar shut and the party was over we sat in the bar room whilst the staff cleaned up and they offered us a lock in we could have any drink and get the bill to our room which we paid on the check out. Brilliant. The breakfast in the morning was great you could have any fruit cereals yoghurts you could ask for and the cooked breakfast was made per order delicious. they did my friend justice thank u whitehall

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Haven't been to the Whitehall for a few years. We booked in the restaurant at short notice for a Valentines meal. The staff were excellent & couldn't do enough for us. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant had been updated & now has a lovely modern feel. We were greeted with a complimentary drink & canapés & a free caricaturist, which was a nice touch & had all the guests interacting comparing & laughing at their pictures. The food & service was excellent & comparable with Astley Bank, which has usually been our preferred venue for special occasions. One small gripe, the fire had been allowed to go out in the lounge & even though the staff soon relit it, the lounge itself was rather chilly. That said, we will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JEM3333
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The staff were very helpful but did not like the decor in the bedroom, definitely not the black curtains. The extractor fan in the bathroom was not working and there were a couple of holes in the towels. The breakfast area was not a bit warm or inviting and the poached eggs I ordered were hard in the middle, the worst poached eggs I have ever tried to eat. On the second night we decided to eat at the Astley Bank Hotel just down the road and the food there was marvellous and not expensive. If I had to book a stay in Darwen again I would definitely opt for Astley Bank.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria D
Reviewed 3 February 2014

There are not many choices and although we initially chose no.1 in Darwen, we ended up in the Whitehall due to lack of availability in the other and there is no regret.

The staff is very nice and welcoming. The hotel is a bit old-fashioned in its decor and apart from the modern flat-screen TV, this could have been a hotel in the 80s. That may sound too negative, it is all comfortable and very clean. In fact I had my longest sleep in a few years in that room, I slept for 10 hours!

My only critcism is that I had no wi-fi connection in my room and on raising that the response was "i know, internet is a bit hit-and-miss. It depends on which room you have". This could probably be solved with a few signal repeaters. For me that is a big challenge as it was a work trip and I need to send out a few emails.

Dinner was lovely. We had a few drinks by the fireplace after which we were escorted to the dining room where we enjoyed a nice steak. The options on the menu were limited but from what we had and what we could observe it was all fresh and a decent quality. Service was again great and the value of the food was good.

Breakfast the next day was in the dining room again and breakfast was included in our rate. This included a number of options for cooked breakfast such as kippers, full english and other options.

Next time I'd love to stay there again, but I will remember to ask for the right room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good wifi signal
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darwen
Astley Bank Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Ferrari's Country House Hotel
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!