“The staff made our wedding day perfect with nothing too much trouble.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Whitehall Hotel

Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Darwen
Bolton, United Kingdom
“The staff made our wedding day perfect with nothing too much trouble.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

We had our wedding breakfast and evening reception at the Whitehall Hotel on the 21st August 09. The meal was served with military precision and nobody was kept waiting for their food. The three course meal was delicious, especially the sticky toffee pudding which was served to ourselves (the bride and groom) on plates specially decorated in piped toffee sauce with our names and the date of our wedding - a lovely touch. The portions were ample, as was the evening buffet wich went down very well. Special mention goes to Nick for his attention to detail and professional, customer focussed attitude. He was always on hand to ensure the smooth running of the day. The resident DJ was excellent and played just the kind of music we wanted to get people up dancing. Rooms were lovely and all our guests were pleased with their stay. Some of the military precision was lost the following day when we waited a while for our breakfast but when it did arrive it was delicious and cooked to order, again nothing too much trouble.
Overall we would reccommend this hotel as a wedding venue which is good value for money and offers excellent customer service. Thank you to all the staff who made our day so special.

• Stayed August 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Little Hulton, Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

We choose this hotel for our civil partnership, for the ceremony, reception and evening reception. It was fantastic. All the staff could not do enough to ensure our day went without a hitch. From the initial meetings to the final planning. We had family traveling and staying for several nights and they all had a great time. Everyone commented on how lovely the hotel was from the welcoming reception rooms to the modern and stylish restaurant. The room setups for each part of the day were excellent and exactly what we wanted. I would recommend you give the Whitehall serious consideration for your special occasion, real value for money, if you get the chance definitely go to one of the wedding fares they hold.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Gateshead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

What a lovely friendly hotel. The wedding went of without a hitch, the food was excellent and plentiful. The staff were very customer orientated with no faulseness about them, if you wanted somthing they got it, okay it took a little time but what doesn't these days. A really big thank you to Paul the Deputy Manager, also Ryan and Katie. A big thank you from the Cole/Sott families to you all. Ryan your friendly and warm manner was excellent, and a thank you for the very late/early morning refreshments etc. The kids are still going on about the size of the chips, and Katie keep smiling like you do and thank you for the service you provided every time I collared you. All in all a really very pleasant relaxing three days.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

Stayed there for one night following my Niece's wedding at the same venue. The hotel is some way off the nearest motorway (M65) but is in a pleasant location among houses on the way out of Darwen. The grounds are very nice, lots of trees, a stream at the back and if you look out of your wondow with Darwen hill behind, you could almost be in the lake district.

It has a country hotel feel about it. With old fashioned stairs and panelled rooms downstairs. The bedrooms are very clean, and the paintwork, walls and carpets were in good condition. The bathroom was in good condition with a good shower and water jets in the bath. The rooms were very spacious, although this made them feel less cozy. My only gripe with the rooms was that they lacked any colour. They could have done with a couple of paintings or decorations. The floorboards was also very creaky.

The breakfast was typical english style, in a nicely decorated room. Cereal, fruit juice, croissants etc. BUT I had to ask for many things, the orange juice jug was constantly left empty, there was no butter, I had to ask for a spoon for my cereal, brown sauce, coffee. Often there would be no one around so I ended up stood around waiting. The quality of food was good though.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009
Merseyside
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

I attended my nieces wedding last September and enjoyed a beautiful civil ceremony, however, the treatment by the hotel staff was less than civil.
I spoke with the senior member of staff on the day after the wedding and was instructed to take my 'concerns' to the owner who could only be contacted via letter or e-mail. Several e-mails and recorded delivery letters since then and I am still waiting for
Mr Bullows to contact me.

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank AnnMerseyside
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

We recently decided to get married and chose The Whitehall over getting married abroad or Scotland, and boy was it the right choice! The whole event was managed by the Hotel management and their staff and went brilliantly. We had the full ceremony and reception there including the sit down meal, which was among the best meals I've enjoyed, and the staff could not do enough for us [THANKS]. Rooms where beautiful and clean and I think everyone who managed to get up for breakfast knows, it was one of the nicest served [as appose to buffet style] I've ever eaten, and having stayed at many hotels, this is a big compliment to the chef! Both my new wife and I would highly recommend this hotel not only as a wedding venue, but it would also make a great stay for business and leisure breaks.

• Stayed March 2009
dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

My fiance and I booked into the hotel for the New Years Eve Party and stopped at the hotel for the night. When we entered the bedroom there was a chilled bottle of champagne with 2 glasses and the bathroom (which had a jacuzzi) had little lit candles scattered around the room. The setting was romantic to say the least. When we went down for dinner and read the menu I was a little concerned to see Haggis with neeps and tats, not my favourite. However, when it arrived it was done in layers almost like a lasagne and was absolutely delightful as was the rest of the food. After dinner the atmosphere was excellent and my partner even managed to get me up to dance. We had a wonderful evening but unfortunately didn't get up in time for breakfast as I'm sure that would have been as good as the night before. Summarising, on the strength of our evening at the Whitehall my fiance and I have decided to book our wedding at the hotel for next year - we can't wait !!!

• Liked — Personal Touch
  • Disliked — Having to go home
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darwen
Astley Bank Hotel
Premier Inn Blackburn South (M65, J4) Hotel
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club

Been to Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!