“Extra special ”
Review of Backfold Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waddington
Backfold Cottage
Ranked #3 of 3 Waddington B&B and Inns
“Extra special ”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

From our initial phone call to book a 2 night stay at Backfold Cottage, we were made to feel welcome. Patricia was friendly and professional from the outset and nothing was too much trouble. We didn't have a dinner reservation for our first evening which was Valentine's Day. Patricia sorted everything for us and booked us a table at the Waddington Arms. It was no more than 100 yards away and we had an excellent evening.
Backfold Cottage is lovely. It's warm, welcoming, spotlessly clean, a real home from home. There were bowls of fresh fruit. Ample supplies of tea and coffee with a selection of biscuits and chocolates. The bedroom was not the largest we have had but it was totally adequate for our needs. All rooms had en suite showers, toilet and washing facilities plus complimentary shampoo and shower gel. There were many extra "nice touch" features such as shoe shine kits etc. The beds were very comfortable and we were plenty warm enough which for February was a bonus.
Patricia really starred with her breakfast menu and the quality and quantity were second to none.
I spend half my life in hotels up and down the Country. I wish Patricia had a chain of B&Bs. I would stay there every time. My overall summing up of Backfold Cottage is "WONDERFUL".

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Garth458

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Teddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here in January and previously stayed when it was owned by someone else. There have certainly been some improvements made and it remains very homely. The rooms have everything you could need and the option of fresh milk is rare these days. We slept well even though the rooms & beds are quite small but you would expect this of a cottage. The food was good and breakfast times were flexible too and the owner Trish was accommodating over our arrival & departure times. The only slight disappointments were that the rooms were very cold; the shower was more like a dripping tap and offered no strength to it. The shower adjustment was impossible too; it would fluctuate between cold and hot on it's own which was quite dangerous and frustrating! There were also hairs in the shower from the previous person. So overall a lovely little place but spoilt singuarly by the shower facilites. We do hope to return again as in general it was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dom T
469Matahari, Manager at Backfold Cottage, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
I am so sorry that you found the shower to be unsatisfactory. I only wish you had drawn my attention to it during you stay. As for the hairs- I personally do all the cleaning and cannot THINK how I missed them - please accept my profound apology. The room temperature was resolved the week after your stay with a new radiator !!
Thank you for taking time to comment - I shall get the shower checked out !!
I hope to see you again in the future.
Anglet, France
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

A very beautiful and spotless cottage in a nice little village in the Ribble Valley.
A five star but yet so personal and helpful service.
Although rooms are certainly little, all the comfort you could expect is there.
Breakfast to order is an unforgotten experience with tasty and local food on a beautiful table prepared carefully by the owner.
Wood fire and comfortable beds make the rest.
We were even offered with an interesting lesson of how a poached egg should be made!
Karle Arpajou

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karle A
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Five of us stayed here in November for a night and took up all three rooms. It was cosy, warm and welcoming with attention to detail for all our needs. A jar of home made biscuits were in each room with a flask of fresh milk (topped up later) which was very welcome after a long journey. As we took up the entire cottage, it was like home from home and I have to say, the breakfast was one of the best I've had. Trish is a wonderful host and makes cooking breakfast with varied orders look so easy! We will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Damsel8
Derbyshire
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We visited this cottage last weekend. With our two children and dog, we had the warmest welcome from Trish on our late arrival. It is a small old fashioned cottage, decorated as such, comfortable and scrupulously clean. Our two girls loved their rooms as did we. We had two of the rooms and the third was vacant. Trish doesn't live in the cottage but just a few doors away and so it was like a really lovely self catering place - but with breakfast thrown in and extra warm hospitality thrown in. Breakfast was great. For such a small place to have the selection of fruit, cereals and the traditional hot breakfast is great. Freshly brewed coffee and home made preserves to boot.

We were also recommended by the Waddington Arms (which was fully booked) and I am glad it was. It is also about three minutes walk to that pub.. I read Tripadvisor a lot but this is the first time, I have felt it was important to add my review. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: There is a larger double, a twin and a smaller double. The cottage is on a narrow cobbled street (no...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We recently stayed at this lovely village cottage for one night. Trish is a fantastic host and gave us a very warm welcome. The rooms are traditionally decorated, perfect for the style and location of the cottage. All are spotlessly clean and all bedrooms are ensuite. There are lovely homemade biscuits in the bedroom and tea and coffee making facilities with fresh milk. The cottage is decorated beautifully. This is really the quintessential historic village cottage experience in a wonderful Ribble Valley village with so much to see and do nearby - lots of gastronomic experiences and wonderful walks to be had! Trish welcomed us into the lounge as well and we really felt very comfortable - it was like staying in our own little holiday cottage - we will definitely return when we are next in the area to visit family. The breakfast was delicious and Trish could not be more helpful - many thanks to you for a wonderful stay! We would highly recommend and we look forward to staying again -hopefully in the near future!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Visited this B & B last Friday for a 2 night stay - wished I had had longer. Amazing cottage with 3 bedrooms all with en suite which surprised me. Quirky spotless clean rooms with amazing bed linen tea coffee in all rooms. Trish's breakfast in the morning great.

If you are looking for a fab wee village with a great B & B - look no further. Best I have been to.

Room Tip: The small room I had is fine for solo but probably small for a couple but other 2 are fine for coupl...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SheenaM60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waddington
The Old Posthouse Hotel
The Red Pump Inn
The Red Pump Inn
#1 of 1 in Bashall Eaves
Fifty One and a Half Boutique B&B

Been to Backfold Cottage? Share your experiences!