“One of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in”
Review of Stirk House Hotel

Stirk House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gisburn
Reviewed 30 May 2014

When I booked this hotel I had hoped it would be another charming and friendly Yorkshire experience. WRONG - The property is old, tired and desperately needs a revamp. The staff are unfriendly, obtrusive and arrogant. I found the food extremely over rated. The hotel is an old house so you hear everything that goes on from all rooms in the house. If you walk on the floor, the reception can hear you downstairs. I had my room checked up on several times. If you are looking for a quiet undisturbed time of it, do not pick this hotel. With all its faults, the staff are pretty much oblivious and I was told that this was a very well respected hotel. Perhaps it may have been at one point, however those days have gone. Overall the staff were rude and impolite and I would recommend anyone wishing to stay in this hotel should look elsewhere. It would be my worst nightmare to get married in this place. Unless you are between ages of 65 - 85, stay clear of this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Wandered_back

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed in the Gisburn Suite after a wedding. The room was absolutely lovely and I cannot fault it. Views across the valley, huge bed, seperate lounge, jacuzzi bath. Breakfast was very good, more than we could eat and served beautifully , we were even asked if we would like extra bacon , tomatoes, sausage etc. Denise and her team have transformed this hotel. You must stay here if in this area.

Room Tip: rooms and suites in the main building
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CathyandCrew
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Staff were very helpful, breakfast was delicious and I liked the idea of bringing extra portions round for those of us who appr helpful and friendly. eciate a cooked breakfast. We did not have evening meal in the restaurant.

Our suite was large and full of country house character but needed refurbishment. I would stay here again as the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank John W
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Our son had his wedding here on Easter Sunday and what a fantastic time was had by all. The staff were so helpful and welcoming nothing was to much trouble, the food was excellent the venue could not have been better and everything went without a hitch even Max the dog had the staff throwing balls for him .
Thanks to all for making this special day such a wonderful time

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank smithiekid
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Just had a two night mini break and we could not have wished for more. Set in its own grounds its the ideal place to relax and unwind. Excellent service provide by friendly helpful staff. We paid a little bit extra for an upgrade and I can assure you this was worth every Penny. Great food and wine what more could you want. The only downside was having to check out, could easily retire here fantastic place try it and see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I booked a special weekend at Stirk House to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. This was a fact that we didn't share with the hotel but I don't think the service and the food could have been any better even if we had. The staff were excellent throughout and this is probably the greatest level of service we have received in any hotel in the UK that we have stayed in. The dinner on both evenings were outstanding and prepared by a Head Chef who understands food, wine, and his guests. Breakfast is just as superb. My recommendation is try it for yourself....you will not be disappointed. Expensive but justifiably so.
A stunning location for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: If your budget can stretch go for a Manor House Suite....the height of luxury.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stay in this award winning Hotel a country Manor House in Gisburn near Clitheroe well worth a visit excellent service with friendly staff. Food of the highest quality relaxing background music while chilling out in this 16th century Manor House set in its own grounds. Award winning breakfast. Will stay again, great place to get away from it all. Beautiful room and quite with comfortable king size bed.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gisburn
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 6 in Lancaster
Old Stone Trough Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook

Been to Stirk House Hotel? Share your experiences!