Sykeside Country House Hotel
US$56
Travelodge
US$70
US$68
All reviewsgood sizebiscuitsexcellent foodtoastrossendale valleystayed for one nightsunday lunchnext morningroom was largeblack puddingspa bathvisiting family in the areafantastic stayfamily membersgreat value for moneywould stay againcouldn't fault
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed for one night as we were guests at a wedding and the wedding reception was being held here. Our double standard room and en suite was lovely. Well equipped with tea making facilities and toiletries. Much better than some more expensive hotels we gave stayed in recently. The wedding meal and breakfast were both very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When we have overseas visitors come to see us on business here in the Rossendale Valley they choose to stay at the Sykeside Country House Hotel.

Everyone who has stayed there has been happy with the cost and the service and have alway's asked to stay at this hotel whenever they visit us again.

As well as business guests we have also had friends and family that have chosen to stay at the Sykeside and they have also been more than happy to stay there.

The close proximity to the motorway network and the 24 hour Tesco store opposite are a positive bonus, and the elevated position and grounds of the hotel prevent any intrusive traffic noise becoming a problem.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Anyone with walking problems can choose a downstairs room where a reserved handicapped parking space is also available in very close proximity.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank zooma49
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a wedding party to go to in Haslingden on Valentine's night so we asked the groom to recommend a place to stay, he suggested here. We booked on a room only basis as my husband was working the next morning & would have to leave early.

I decided to arrive in the afternoon as the forecast was not great, high winds & lots of rain & as I had an hour's drive to make along the motorway I thought I would get there before it got too bad. I parked up & walked up to the house. The smell from the restaurant was lovely as it was lunchtime. The young lady came out & said that it was just up the stairs, I said my husband would be along later after he had finished work. She said that there was main door key on key too which was useful as we obviously were going to a wedding party.

I walked into our room & what a surprise, a four poster bed & chaise lounge (I have always wanted one of these in my own bedroom but never got a room big enough!), a fire place & large flat screen TV. Lovely high ceilings & still kept with original features which is lovely. I went through to the end suite which was also huge with lovely big bath. I thought, I can't wait to have a lovely soak in that bath followed by watching a bit of TV on the chaise lounge, what a treat, shame my hubby is at work until later and it is valentine's day! Plenty selection of hot drinks, hot chocolate, Horlicks & tea & coffee & biscuits too. Just lovely touches that just makes it personal & a lovely experience in a hotel.

My husband arrived & loved it too & said shame we have this wedding party to go to on such an awful night as it lovely here. We agreed that we definitely would like to come back to have breakfast & evening meal as we just knew that it would be delicious as obviously the restaurant is very well attended by people. We intend to come back for his birthday in April & we can't wait!

Room Tip: They have 8 rooms, 3 of which are executive & it says are the original bedrooms of the house therefore larger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MerseysideTinkerbell
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

A wonderful family New Year's Eve spent at this hotel.
From the spotlessly clean room, to tasty pre dinner drinks followed by a beautiful 4 course dinner, this was a great way to enjoy a relaxing and entertaining New Year's Eve.
Fellow guests seemed to be regular diners at the restaurant and I can understand why.
With friendly and pleasant staff, there is every chance we will spend our next new year at this lovely hotel

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank graham h
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for 1 night... (as part of our travels)
The car park is down a short drive overlooking the traffic island and Tesco. As such you have to carry all your luggage a short distance uphill. (There was several women right outside the front door chatting, (however they did stand aside for us to drive past) so we were unable to stop right outside prior to parking car and drop bags off.
...after struggling to reception we were met swiftly by a young lady, she smiled, asked our name, handed us a key while saying "breakfast is served til 9.30am through there ( she pointed at a door) and your room is upstairs, ok". (End of conversation i assume as she turned and walked back the way she came)

There was no offer of a hand with our luggage up the long flight of stairs, despite the hefty £70 price tag (£80 if we had choosen to have breakfast) i can only assume there was not a lift as we were not told if there was. Poor welcome from staff to paying customers!

I might add that we were not told there was a bar area, this was not evident upon our arrival either as the entrance just had doors which were shut...no signs to indicate what they were....rooms,
kitchen, so we went out for the evening instead. I did observe in one of the drawers in our room the menu for the restaurent, although no mention of seperate bar area.

When we struggled up the stairs we found our room was right at the front facing Tesco and roundabout, it was very noisy from car traffic. After experiencing this only the night before at another bed and breakfast i swiftly returned to reception for a change of rooms.

I was pleased that she had an alternative room, the young receptionist said " you can change rooms but its a much smaller room". I agreed that a smaller room in a quieter location was preferable.
However i found that the room was still much bigger than most hotels i know with high ceilings, elegant decor, very impressive to look at, large comfy ( sqeeky) bed. Good Tea & coffee facilites with one packet of biscuits....i assume half a biscuit each? I advise Either a packet each or dont bother.
The room was freezing cold if im honest, however there was an additional portable radiater which after being on for an hour did heat up the room lovely. But then when you leave the room and turn it off it goes cold again....
Bathroom was very modern with a lovely hot shower. Complimentry Toiletries were a nice touch however they were placed on top of the toilet cistern on a small tray..... nice
and clean fresh towels available. There were no shelves to place your toilet bag on, so you had to place on the floor...

There was no heater in the bathroom nor a radiator and boy was it freezing.

Large amounts of Greyish/Brown Grouting remains on the wall tiles in the bathroom perhaps evidence that this is a new contempery bathroom but needs finishing off, we took photos.

We were not told about the "window cleaners" coming that day either when we checked in. As such i absolutely jumped out of my skin when a large bang and splosh on our window, added by a dog barking for the next half hour....bye bye afternoon nap after our long journey!

There was also a lot of t.v or talking coming from below our room or somewhere below. This infact which led me to ask the other receptionist the next morning,
(however i am unsure if this was where the noise was coming from. It could have been kitchen noise or a t.v)
"what is behind the closed doors", she then explained it was the bar area....oh you have a bar?
We didnt know....still she allowed us to take photos but no apology or polite conversation or smile. Again poor customer service for the price.

I would not stay again even if the issues were addressed due to the lack of customer service, nor would i recommend to my family back home in Wales.
I am simply shocked as the previous reviews for the restaurant state the positive and cheery staff.

bar....