“Dirtannia Wigan Hotel”

Britannia Wigan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Standish
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on a Coach Tour ,Monday 2nd of June. Staff very pleasant, but very inexperienced. We stayed in room 163, which was good size, however, TV and remote had seen better days, room was never vacuumed
during the entire stay, and looked as if it hadn't been done for a while. the same with the bathroom floor, the bathroom had various areas of mould(reported), specially on the ceiling, over the bath, about 1 metre long and 5cm wide. The hot water was almost boiling, we had a problem with the shower control knob (reported),etc. Towels were fine, supplied clean every day.
Food was fine, apart from the first night, which wasn't very hot, not much info about the food, in case of allergies, very inexperienced staff. The whole place is in need of a good refurbishment. No, I would not stay there again, mainly because of the room.

Room Tip: Check room first, and complain straight away if need be ! unless you are with someone like my wife w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mick S
There are newer reviews for Britannia Wigan Hotel

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Room grubby, patchy paintwork, threadbare grubby carpets, chairs in room thick with dust in corners. Spillage marks on walls and floor in bathroom, grout discoloured. I would not stay here again! There is a premier Inn across the road and I wish I had paid the extra £20 to stay there!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here as he had an interview nearby & pics online looked great... arriving at the place it looked completely different from anything I had seen online. The reception area completely grubby. The receptionist not that friendly just there to do her job and that's it.. no welcome or smile.. The room was the worst. Dust everywhere, Spider squished into the wall and left there. Disgusting decor falling off walls and rock hard curtains. The next morning I got woke up twice by cleaning staff coming into my room and it not even check out time. When checking out I went to submit my comment card to find there was no box, of course the 2 receptionists were too busy to even ask what i was looking for. Disgraceful hotel should not be 3 stars! Lucky to have 1 in my eyes!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura H
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Arrived at around 4pm on Monday 2nd June, 2014. Friendly staff in abundance to greet, although no portering service.Were allocated room 164 - twin and 166 - double, as adjoining rooms, even though I'd only expected singles, so was delighted. Rooms were clean, fresh, well supplied. Evening meal, serve yourself buffet, was hot and plentiful. Stewing steak,fish strips and gammon, on Monday, with selection of potatoes and veg. Soup was brocoli and cheese, with soft , white bread. Cheese cake and gateau for desert, with ice cream or pouring cream. Comfy beds, bathroom warm, bath taps ran quickly. Breakfast,each morning the same, serve yourself, with full English, Danish pastries, fruit juice,fruits and yoghurt, and cornflakes,rice crispies and porridge. Toaster was very slow, bread to toast, took over five minutes, which was an issue for other guests. Tuesday evening meal - pork joint,carved while you wait,chicken curry,cumberland sausage, again eat all you wish, with chips,jacket potatoes, veg,sauce, Wednesday dinner, beef join, chicken kiev,fried fish, again with fried potatoes, roasts, mash or boiled, peas,sweetcorn, sauces and the nicest onion gravy I have ever tasted.Comfortable seating in communual areas, well lit, tidy areas and external grounds. No entertainment, but I selected this trip as I am an early to bed person. Excellant prices. Would suggest to everyone I know. 100% ideal. Thankyou all staff.

Room Tip: 164 and 166 - ground floor, spacious, tidy, comfy beds.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carol C
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel over night (31/5/2014). When my Wife and myself walked into the reception area, we noticed torn carpets, and wall paper. Spent cigarettes lined the entrance.
We where given our key, and proceeded to our room (113). On inspection we found our room to be in a poor state of repair and very dirty. Under the bed had never seen a vacuum cleaner, the windowsill was a disgrace and the net curtain don't let me go there. The bathroom was not much better.
We appreciate that this hotel is a budget hotel, but that is no excuse for filthy conditions, thank heavens we where only stopping the one night.
You have been warned.

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Roy S
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have been taking school trips to this hotel for the past 15 years. Food is absolutely gorgeous with choice of full English breakfast, cereales, toast, fruit juices, yoghurts, fruit salad etc. and the evening meal selections are great with yummy desserts! Rooms are nice and warm with tea and coffee making facilities, hair dryer, ensuite and great use of pool, jacuizzi, sauna and steam room. Great foyer with full size tv, pool table and darts in bar/reception area. Staff were outstanding and very accommodating especially the years when I have had to remain behind all day with a pupil who was unwell. Just beside the hotel there is a hairdressers, beauticians and a petrol station/shop just opposite. Thanks Britannia for making our stay a great one to remember and for future ones to come :-)

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel are closer to restaurant but there is a lift to access all floors.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Receptionist on arrival was miserable - annoyed that we interrupted her phone conversation.
It is difficult to find words to describe this place - breakfast was inedible and this is the only place where I have been unable to drink the coffee - how can any one do coffee badly?
Rooms were tired, bathroom was not cleaned, coffee rings on bedside table, cigarette ash on the windowsill!
We left on the second day without going anywhere near restaurant for breakfast. So disappointing.

Room Tip: don't bother
Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank upsetw13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Brocket Arms Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
Coaching Inn Hotel
#8 of 12 in Wigan

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!