I stay at this hotel several times a year as it is one of the better places in the area. I grit my teeth about doing so for a variety of reasons:
The MacDonald policy of not offering free wifi is abysmal, penny pinching and mean spirited to your guests!
The restaurant menu is not seasonal; there has been the horrible Pumpkin Ravioli with revolting Sage Butter as the restaurant vegetarian option for well over a year, no chef can do anything with it, I do not blame the chef at all, I blame the cheap catering deal MacDonald must have struck to have this vile, cloying, nauseating mess as the veggie option.
Thankfully the Kilhey bar is lovely and has the better option of chickpea curry; the newly improved wine list with the addition of a very nice NZ Sauvignon blanc is also good. I must put out a special mention of your bartender (Peter?), a natural host and total asset to you, generally all staff I have dealt with during all my stays have been delightful.
It is pot luck whether you get one of the slightly better rooms or not. If you are unlucky your room will look tired and the tricky bit at the back of the bath taps will be grubby, as will the grouting, there may also be the odd tile missing/cracked. The bedroom furniture is uniformly cheap and nasty looking and your room may well be dark and gloomy. You are unlikely to be staying in the attractive main building; I have only ever been put in the hall of residence style block round to the side.
The hotel guest carpark had a unique stench when I last stayed, some sort of effluent from the bins had leaked into the flower beds and had snaked its way across the tarmac. I hope the has been disinfected away.
Generally my irritation is more with the MacDonald group as a whole; this is a real shame as MacDonald hotels used to be exceptional. Once the Kilhey is refurbed a bit it will be fine, best of a poor lot in the area at the moment, just don't expect a 4* room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel, a perfectly accessible place to do business and to unwind, just 10 minutes drive from the M6 and M61 motorways directly between Manchester and Liverpool. Take advantage of unlimited, free WiFi throughout the hotel, a comfortable night's sleep and relax in the spa at the hotel. The hotel has completed a refurbishment programme to upgrade 14 bedrooms, rejuvenate the bar, restaurant and reception. Following a day on the road or in the meeting room, there's plenty of ways to unwind at Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel. We're passionate about the quality of food that we offer, sourcing fresh, quality ingredients to craft simple but flavoursome dishes. Try our award-winning food in the Laureate Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Kilhey Court reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Kilhey Court Standish
- Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel Standish