Having been regulars in MacDonald Hotels over a number of years, we opted for the Kilhey Court as it lay in a good position for a stopover on our drive from Ayrshire to Oxfordshire and we knew what to expect, especially as it held a 4 star rating. To cut a long story, the Pros were: a decent sized bedroom with a well fitted and clean en-suite; a good sized attractive restaurant; very efficient and friendly waiting staff and really delicious and well presented food (both at dinner and at breakfast). However the Cons were: two nearly finished (but neatly sealed) toilet rolls (OK you CAN ask for more, but come on, why should you need to just after you have arrived); plenty tea and coffee, but only three small cartons of milk for two people (OK, you CAN ask......but why....... just after you have arrived). Then there was the bedroom heating. ...there wasn't any and it didn't come on, no matter which way you turned the control! Nor was the "heated" towel rail working in the en-suite. However, stuck to the (cold) wall heater was a dog-eared label which on close inspection read something about contacting reception if you needed the heating on. (This is in March in Lancashire, when you might just expect a 4 star hotel to provide heating without having to be asked). Anyway, nothing ventured....! Three calls later to reception, we did have a hot towel rail, but we still had no bedroom heating. (When we returned to our still cold bedroom after dinner, the receptionist did admit that she had sent the "engineer" to the wrong room...??). Finally a member of the restaurant staff did arrive with an electric heater (marked "The Spa") so presumably the health suite guests were warm enough. Final Con: having been asked at check-in if we wanted a morning newspaper, we had said yes please, but in the morning, no paper outside the bedroom door. When we called in at reception to report the missing paper, the receptionist asked, "Was it not outside your bedroom door?" "No", we said (through gritted teeth) "that's why we are here!" After a brief phone call, the receptionist reported back that the rogue paper was in fact waiting for us in the breakfast room. (Well, if we had been told that........!). Fortunately on this visit, the pros outweighed the cons, but most of the cons smacked of penny-pinching, which you do NOT expect from a 4 star establishment!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel, a perfectly accessible place to do business and to unwind, just 10 minutes drive from the M6 and M61 motorways directly between Manchester and Liverpool. Take advantage of unlimited, free WiFi throughout the hotel, a comfortable night's sleep and relax in the spa at the hotel. The hotel has completed a refurbishment programme to upgrade 14 bedrooms, rejuvenate the bar, restaurant and reception. Following a day on the road or in the meeting room, there's plenty of ways to unwind at Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel. We're passionate about the quality of food that we offer, sourcing fresh, quality ingredients to craft simple but flavoursome dishes. Try our award-winning food in the Laureate Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Kilhey Court reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Kilhey Court Standish
- Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel Standish