“Could Do Better”

Macdonald Kilhey Court
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Standish
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Having been regulars in MacDonald Hotels over a number of years, we opted for the Kilhey Court as it lay in a good position for a stopover on our drive from Ayrshire to Oxfordshire and we knew what to expect, especially as it held a 4 star rating. To cut a long story, the Pros were: a decent sized bedroom with a well fitted and clean en-suite; a good sized attractive restaurant; very efficient and friendly waiting staff and really delicious and well presented food (both at dinner and at breakfast). However the Cons were: two nearly finished (but neatly sealed) toilet rolls (OK you CAN ask for more, but come on, why should you need to just after you have arrived); plenty tea and coffee, but only three small cartons of milk for two people (OK, you CAN ask......but why....... just after you have arrived). Then there was the bedroom heating. ...there wasn't any and it didn't come on, no matter which way you turned the control! Nor was the "heated" towel rail working in the en-suite. However, stuck to the (cold) wall heater was a dog-eared label which on close inspection read something about contacting reception if you needed the heating on. (This is in March in Lancashire, when you might just expect a 4 star hotel to provide heating without having to be asked). Anyway, nothing ventured....! Three calls later to reception, we did have a hot towel rail, but we still had no bedroom heating. (When we returned to our still cold bedroom after dinner, the receptionist did admit that she had sent the "engineer" to the wrong room...??). Finally a member of the restaurant staff did arrive with an electric heater (marked "The Spa") so presumably the health suite guests were warm enough. Final Con: having been asked at check-in if we wanted a morning newspaper, we had said yes please, but in the morning, no paper outside the bedroom door. When we called in at reception to report the missing paper, the receptionist asked, "Was it not outside your bedroom door?" "No", we said (through gritted teeth) "that's why we are here!" After a brief phone call, the receptionist reported back that the rogue paper was in fact waiting for us in the breakfast room. (Well, if we had been told that........!). Fortunately on this visit, the pros outweighed the cons, but most of the cons smacked of penny-pinching, which you do NOT expect from a 4 star establishment!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mossgiel
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Thank you for your feed back. I am very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations entirely during your recent visit to our hotel. Your constructive feed back has been shared with our Senior Management Team in order for us to continually improve on our existing service and standards. This is most certainly not the high standard of service that we strive to achieve at our hotel.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and I do hope that overall you were satisfied. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Kilhey Court

Reviewed 4 March 2012

there was parts of the day that was amazing ! but the attention to detail lacked deeply! the spa treatments was amazing we had the winter offer that was on and their was 5 of us !... you expect to be together but all day we hardly saw each other and mainly my auntie has been on her own all day ! she had to do the best things on her own and the only time we saw her was at the end and when we went for lunch ...Don't get me wrong it was good but lacking in alot of the things that make the day special i mean when you book something with other's you expect to be with them ... beverages all day ( rubbish) this is so not true the only thing that is available is water ! and if you like cold tea and coffee it will be fine :) If you go to the this one the people are so arrogant! i mean we did not money on us as we had left it in the lockers because after all drinks are free! and we asked for a drink in the restaurant were we was having FREE lunch! and they basically said no , because you would have to pay for them .. and the only thing that they was reluctant to give us anyway was water! They was very rude! and the thing that topped off this terrible day was the fact that we paid for a file and polish and then they turned round and said that they had not got time and they have over booked so no was no refund! after some very hard complaining ! we got a ticket to go back but i was looking for a nice wedding venue ! and throught it would be their as it has some amazing grounds ! but if they paid me to go back I would atterally say no !!! take my advice And DO not go to Kilhey court and go to bannatyne's They are so much more friendly and they are really good at making your day perfect
Only solo because if you go as friends you will just spend the day on your own anyway !
It makes me mad that i have spend £55 and this has mad me really angry

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your review that you posted on Trip Advisor following your recent Spa Day spent at our hotel. I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with certain aspects of your day, but I was equally disappointed to read the content of your review as this is most certainly not the high standard of service that we strive to achieve at our Spa. We have continuously worked hard to improve the service we provide our spa guests as can clearly be seen in previous trip advisor feed back.

Your feed back has been shared with the team in order for us to continually strive to improve on our existing standards and service.

Should you wish to discuss your experience with me in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.kilheycourt@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to our Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Visited for a Spa Day. We had a wonderful relaxing day. The staff were exceptional, very friendly and professional a really great buzz to the place. The treatments were great value as part of the Spa day and again the staff were great. The lunch was served in the main restaurant and was healthy and very tasty with a number of choices for starters and main course.
A wonderful relaxing experience we are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I have just spent a night at the Kilhey Court Hotel. We had a brilliant time and would highly recommend a visit. A fantastic Victorian house overlooking lovely gardens and 3 resevoirs. We stayed in the Kipling Suite which looked out onto the gardens and water. It was fabulous, big, nicely decorated and with a huge bathroom with a window (almost unheard of in modern hotels!)
The food was excellent and the dining room and other reception rooms fantastic with the best ceilings I have seen for a while. My husband said it was the 'the best breakfast ever' which is high praise from him.
As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel staff are exceptional. Jen and Sheena deserve a special mention. They were in charge of breakfast and made us so wlecome. They are so proud of their hotel and the Madonald brand and went the extra mile to ensure we had a great visit even suggesting places to visit in the area on our way home. The girl on reception was similarly helpful, friendly and pleasant to deal with. The gentleman who checked us in was adaquate but not up to the standard of the rest of the staff
A minor negative point - Although the gym, leisure reception and treatment rooms are of a high standard, the pool is tiny so dont expect to spend long doing lenghts! There are however 2 steam rooms, 2 saunas (sadly closed when we were there) and a jaccuzzi.

Room Tip: A room in the original house
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy W
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Many thanks Judy W for your review regarding your recent stay at The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your feedback both positive and negative. I will certainly share your glowing comments with our breakfast team. Macdonald Hotels pride ourselves in our quality breakfast and it is so good of you to share your favourable experience.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to the Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel just after Christmas this year, the hotel was lovely and the food was even better. We stayed on a Saturday evening had a delicious afternoon tea by the fire and a leisurely stroll around the lake and finished the afternoon in the pool area. (Which was just what we needed)
The bedroom was spacious and over looked the grounds and Worthington Lake (I think it is called) - this was a surprise from my husband for Christmas so driving through the gate I was more than impressed!!!!
All in all a lovely hotel and one not to be missed. Defiantly recommend to others!!!!

Room Tip: Go to the spa!!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you Mary 1234545676 for your review you posted on trip advisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased that you had a lovely stay and that your expectations were exceeded. I will most certainly share this with my team.

If you are planning on visiting again Mary 1234545676, feel free to contact me and I would be happy to make the arrangements for you.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have recently returned from a trip to this hotel. I went with a little bit of trepidation as there were mixed reviews, however I need not have worried as after a three night stay, I did not want to leave. Why? The main reason is the staff. Everyone who we dealt with was polite, enthusiastic and keen to help and ensure that every need was taken care of. The main reception staff were amazing, the waiting/restaurant staff were a joy to be served by and were very attentive. The food here I felt was better than the 4 stars of the hotel and the chef is to be commended. The spa was very good - maybe a little tired, but the quality of treatment was very good and again the staff were very helpful. I experienced here something that I have not witnessed before, and this is a team of people with the deepest of respect for the Manager. He certainly manages a tight ship and the staff seem to flourish under his management. He has a strong presence in the hotel and is always to be seen around and about and was extremely approachable. I think that the hotel - though a little tired in places, has strongly benefitted from having the right manager at the helm and one who is clearly an inspiration to the staff. I have stayed in more plush hotels, yet never have I felt that I have had a team of people care for me the way the staff did here. I would definately return and would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks toby2012 for leaving a review regarding your recent stay at The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for your feedback. Thank you for your glowing feedback regarding all the staff and management of the hotel. I know that they will be very pleased that their efforts were appreciated. I will also pass on your very positive comments about the food to our Head Chef and kitchen brigade and make sure that they are commended for continually producing a high standard and quality of food. Thank you also for your constructive feed back about the tiredness of certain parts of the hotel. We take these comments very seriously and are currently in the process of a rolling maintenance programme in order to improve these areas of the hotel.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back toby2012 to The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Our expectactions of this hotel were not too great after reading some of the previous comments, but we were looking for somewhere to use our Clubcard tokens and got such a good deal here we thought it was worth a punt.

Yes the bedroom decor is quite dated and tired looking as others have mentioned but I understand they are having a full refurbishment this year so that will solve that problem.

Overall our experience was a very positive one, we stayed 2 nights and had breakfast and dinner at the hotel on both days. Having stayed in many other MacDonald hotels we were pleased to find that this one pretty much lived up to their usual high standard. The food was very good as we've come to expect and the staff are extremely helpful and polite.

We had a very enjoyable weekend break and would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time TheFairy to review The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa on trip advisor following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am so glad that overall you had a positive and enjoyable experience and thank you for your feedback which has been shared with the team. We are continuously looking at improving our hotel product and are currently in the process of a rolling maintenance programme.

If you are planning to return TheFairy, please do contact me and I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

Jonathan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!