“Just as I remember”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Upholland
Southport
“Just as I remember”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband have stayed here on a few occasions as our friends live locally and recently returned for a friends Wedding. Everytime we have felt welcome. Great food, friendly staff, lovely settings

• Stayed August 2014
hollandhallhotel, Front Office Manager at Holland Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holland Hall Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I arranged a private room for my son's 18th birthday, I was assured that this room would be for our sole use. The room was also guaranteed to be ready for 10am on the day of the event so that flowers and place names could be set up. Arrived to find room partially ready with each member of staff I spoke to saying it was not their fault as the coordinator had not passed on this information. I was advised that she was away that day due to personal reasons, the manager said that she solely set up the room and that due to health and safety reasons they did not set up the room the day before and said that I was being harsh. He was unable explain why the room was partially set up if his comments were correct. The menu was preordered three weeks in advance however most of the guests had to wait eat as they had to wait for others as the order to the kitchen was incorrect. The meals served were with the wrong side dishes and the starter soup and prawn cocktail were tasteless. The cheeses served were not those advertised on the menu. The waitress shouted at the top of the table whether everyone had finished between courses, not the standard of service we expected. Staff were unable to be found once each course had been served in order to make any complaint or comments during the meal. The "private" room was used as a thoroughfare for the wedding taking place in the adjacent wedding.

When I came to pay the bill staff were difficult to find and errors made on the bill which the manager accused me if causing saying that I had two unexpected guests which was not the case. My receipt was handed to me in an envelope which I did not view until I got home when I found that the payment had been made to another company rather than to the hotel, until the next day I was unable to clarity why this had happened and therefore caused unnecessary worry.

On speaking to the manager I received a £100 refund however no apology regarding his comments about my "harsh character". My Son is only 18 once and wished this to be a perfect occasion which I do not feel is asking too much given the assurances made at the time of booking.

My nephew was considering the hotel for his wedding but after this experience of bad food, incorrect orders and bad service had decided against it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan_SE8125NG
After reading your review I would like to take this opportunity to respond in full as I was directly involved with your booking.

As Mrs Saunders points out, the hotel staff where very much in the process of setting up one table for nineteen guests for her sons birthday party. Unfortunately due to the death of my father I was unable to attend work on that day. However the hotel team immediately organised their time to set up the room as quickly as possible for 10am even though they were aware that guests were not due to arrive until 7pm.

I would like to point out that I have thoroughly interviewed all three members of staff who worked on that day along with the head chef and found there were no delays with the order of service.

Obviously the meals are down to personal taste, however we feel as though we offer tasty and wholesome food cooked by one of the best chefs in the North West.

I am glad to hear that one of our waitresses acknowledged your party saying " excuse me ladies and gentlemen has everyone finished their meals, was everything ok for you?" This is called 'table checking' in the catering industry and is usually very much appreciated by most. If we had been made aware of a problem we would have dealt with any complaints, giving us the opportunity to rectify the situation immediately.

We do not wish to interfere with small parties and whilst we oversee them we stay in the background, however a member of our team is always on hand for any assistance.

I would like to clarify that payment was made to Holland Hall Hotel and apologies were personally made to Mrs Sanders by the owner of the hotel himself who generously refunded Mrs Sanders £100 as a good will gesture.

I cannot help but feel that your review has been blown out of all proportion and that the hotel did everything possible on the night to ensure your enjoyment, however if in your opinin we have made errors we again sincerely apologise.

I personally have answered all of Mrs Sanders emails and the hotel owner has spoken directly to Mrs Sanders. I find it extremely distressing that Mrs Sanders inital threats of going viral have come to fruition.

Holland Hall Hotel prides itself on the high standard of customer care and service and this review leaves me suprise and disappointed.

Deborah Riley
Function Coordinator
Hampshire
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel was recommended by a colleague who had used it many times a few years ago.

Positive bits:
Comfortable bed, lots of hot water, helpful staff, good wifi

Negative bits:
Shower was either too hot or cold, no towelling bath mat, window latch missing, generally tatty

The hotel was undergoing some renovations so maybe the above will be solved as part of that process.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NJS707
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our staff and facillities here at Holland Hall Hotel. Constructive comments such as yours are extremely useful in the progression of our business and as you correctly point out we are currently following a programme of ongoing refurbishment. We have taken your comments and ensured our maintenance manager has fixed the shower and window latch. We pride ourselves in offering a clean and comfortable environment for our guests and we will continue to make improvements both internally and externally to ensure this. We do hope you will return to Holland Hall Hotel in the near future.
Liverpool
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked one night on our way home from the Lake District. I only rang to inquire on the morning of our arrival and the young woman on reception who took the booking was very helpful. We chose a superior suite which actually wasn't a suite as such, but a room with a leather sofa in front of a huge wall mounted flat screen television.

There is no lift in the hotel and the stairs and corridors leading to the rooms are narrow.As a couple in our late fifties we laughed out loud when we entered the room as it was very Katy Price and definitely designed for twenty somethings. There was a television in the bathroom but this didn't work when we were there and the shower was very weak even though it looked state of the art.Apart from that the bed was very very comfy and the room was spotlessly clean. The room had air conditioning which was a godsend as it was so hot on the night we stayed.

There is nowhere in the immediate vicinity of the hotel to eat so we decided to eat in and we were glad we did. The service and the food were excellent and as it was a hot evening we enjoyed sitting outside with our drinks.

Breakfast the next morning was really very very good and the staff were wonderful. The young woman who had been on reception the night before very kindly went out of her way to buy in our Sunday newspapers on her way in to work at the crack of dawn the next day and this was much appreciated.

I suspect that this hotel normally attracts a young clientele and wedding parties but we really enjoyed our stay nevertheless. It is professionally run with the young staff being a credit to the place. If we were looking to stay in the area again we wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: book directly with the hotel and discuss your specific room requirements.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DingleDaisy
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay here with us at Holland Hall Hotel and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. We have placed your review on our staff noticeboard for the staff to read as I am sure they will feel proud at the lovely words you have written about them.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at the Holland Hall Hotel on Friday 30th May had the best day and night that I can remember everything was perfect from our arrival to our departure . The set up of the room for the wedding ceremony was beautiful ,the wedding breakfast was fantastic beautifully presented and served the staff work very hard and nothing is to much trouble .the evening reception was the same ,again the room set up was beautiful and evening buffet very tasty .The hotel is set in lovely surroundings and nice and quiet .If anyone was looking for a wedding venue I would highly recommend they have a look around the Holland Hall Hotel .Thanks for a lovely day .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank barry m
Thank you so much for all your kind words, we were delighted to read your fantastic review. We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Holand Hall Hotel soon.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I would recommend their valantines night meal and stay over we were very well looked after champange, strawberrys, chocolate in the room (bridal suite) the meal was fantastic.
Bed soft just like your grandma's
Room big roomy bigger then normal
Bathroom sunken bath with TV on the wall, also seperate show
Music, TV ipod docker

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan C
Thank you so much for your fantastic review, we are delighted you had a fabulous Valentines Day with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holland Hall Hotel soon
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here when in the area for business. The hotel is set off the main road and is nice and quiet. However there are a few restaurants and pubs within a 10 to 15 minute walk away although I never went myself. The staff were all very friendly, breakfast there is a fairly limited selection but more than adequate to chose from and although would appear only cooked option is full English, they will cater for other similar orders.

The rooms are fairly basic but again do the job.

Overall for the B and B rate this hotel is excellent value and I have stayed in more expensive hotels which aren't as good. I would definitely consider staying again if in area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upholland
Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Wigan West (M6,Jct 26) Hotel
Macdonald Kilhey Court
The Brocket Arms Hotel
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Holland Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!