“after work with a friend”

The Vine Restaurant & Cocktail Bar
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Seasonal food served daily, offering breakfast, lunch, tapas, afternoon tea & dinner in a luxurious and welcoming atmosphere
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Met up after work to sit in the courtyard with a glass of wine and a meal. Special offer price for 2 courses tempted. Pate starter was yummy, my sea bass with fine but will order the chicken next time. Lovely staff and great service.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

This is a lovely place to go for a girlie night out, great food and delicious cocktails have enjoyed all our visits so far ... Also go for lunch occasionally in the week can whole heartedly recommend the Fish and Chips !

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I attended the same evening meal where raw chicken was served, apparently this was due to the waitress kindly informing us that she has lost a piece on the way to the table due to being served on the slate plates that were playing havoc with her nails.
We had chosen the Vine as we had indulged in exceptional bar meals at the Cricketts on several occasions.
The service was unnoticeable, it seemed as there was only one member of the front staff managing the bar and the separated dining room. It was a very warm night and we could have consumed a large amount of drink but was unable to as waiting for serving staff to appear.
For a very humid evening there appeared to be no air-conditioning for this apparently boutique restaurant, therefore they had one window open to which a member of the staff kindly closed so he could sit outside the restaurant and smoke.
I think possible I will try early doors and go for the bar meal.

1  Thank nicci_ritchie
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Visited The Vine tonight and felt a bit disappointed. I had read all the glowing reviews so was expecting something good.

I got to our table and found a flyer advertising trip adviser and a free meal prize draw if you comment on line. Call me a cynic but I can't help but wonder if that has anything to do with the good reviews.

Service was a bit slow, there was only one lady serving the bar and the restaurant. The menu looked good. A really good choice of fish and meat and a lovely looking veggie option.

I have a real thing about slate plates, I hate them, and most of our food was served on slate plates.

My friends chicken was raw in the middle, and I mean just out of the fridge raw, I don't mean slightly pink. It did kind of put me off. The price of her main course was taken off the bill.

My dessert was disappointing. It was served on a wooden chopping board. The pastry was too thick and soggy on the tart. The meringue to go with it was very nice.

Overall the presentation, apart from the slate, was good but the raw meat and soggy pastry spoilt it for me. In my opinion there is a much better restaurant in Ashby, although more expensive, and I will go there next time

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Went here with my girlfriend as was told how nice it was, food was amazing and service was great, really looked after us, def will be going back again.