“My fave carvery place.”

Dining options: Reservations
derbyshire
“My fave carvery place.”
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

I love coming here for a carvery every now and then. Not frozen or packaged like most others I've been to, pudding good too. Amazing food. Great atmosphere. Park, marquee beer garden. Often has beer fests or bands. Great country pub.

• Visited April 2013

East Midlands, United Kingdom
“A bit of a disappointment”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We visited The Tap House for a meal on a Monday evening, as it had come highly recommended by a friend some months previously. On a positive note, they had four real ales on hand pump (three from their own brewery and one from a guest brewery) and the two that I tried were very nice indeed and very well kept. The welcome was also warm and the staff very pleasant and courteous throughout our visit.

The food was quite expensive for ‘pub grub’, so we were expecting something quite good. We both ordered the baked field mushroom as a starter (£5.60 per person), which was described as being “filled with salami, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes slow baked until crispy golden”. When the starter arrived, it was very nicely presented, but was unfortunately only warm around the edges and cold in the middle. If I’m paying £5.60 for a starter that is “slow baked until crispy golden” I expect it to be hot. This was no more hot than it was baked, and was therefore quite a disappointment. Although our main courses was hot enough, they were nothing special and we have had pub food just as good many times before in more local establishments with lower prices than The Tap House.

In summary then, the food at The Tap House did not live up to its billing and, bearing in mind the prices, was not good value for money either. We will probably go again for a drink one evening, but I doubt we would bother eating there again.

• Visited March 2013