“Excellent value Sunday carvery @ £6.95”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Restaurant at The Royal Hotel
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
“Excellent value Sunday carvery @ £6.95”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I'd never really thought to go to the Royal for Sunday lunch and would usually go for a Toby carvery (£9.99pp) However I saw an advertisement for Sunday carvery and decided to give it a try. It is a lovely restaurant, almost felt like a wedding reception dinner. The staff were very polite and helpful and the carvery selection was excellent. All seasonal vegetables a plenty and a good selection of meat(s). Excellent quality and absolute value for money.

• Visited January 2014

Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Don't Waste Your Money”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Having been to a few other carvery's I was looking forward to a good meal at the Royal Hotel, unfortunately this was never to be. At the restruants i have been to before you are often allowed to return to get more veg/ potato's... I assumed this was with the royal hotel and nobody told us otherwise so I assumed everything would be ok. I also purposely didn't put very much on my first plate so I could go back up for another.... After getting up for my second round a waitress came up to me and was incredibly rude. She said "You know this isn't a buffet it's a carvery, A CARVERY NOT A BUFFET. If I catch you doing this again I will charge twice. " Unbelievable! I was so shocked and have never been spoken to like a 12 year old at a restaurant. Baring in mind that I only had 2 potatoes and one pigs in blanket with some gravy I was incredible shocked. I Mentioned that I didn't realise, and apologised. She walked off without responding. Disgusting customer service, there were so many ways that this could have been dealt with more professionally, there was absolutely no need to jump to a conclusion that i was getting more food on the sly!

Up until this point the meal was going well and the small issues with it and the venue didn't bother me, but after this everything bothered me, The Yorkshires were completely overdone, the food was set out a 12PM, we ate at 12:30, the same food was still being served at 2:30pm when we left. No rotation in the dishes what so ever. All staff seemed to have a lacklustre approach to their work, no one wanted to be there. Two waitresses even came up to the table with a black bin liner to clear things into, WHAT?!?!? We were not informed of the December price increase, instead of the usual £6.95 advertised it was £9.95. The place is disgusting- dirty, old, and in need of desperate renovations!

Such a shame that a lovely village like Ashby has such an awful hotel. A real insult to the area! Won't be re visiting and wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank w1lz
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
“Tired bar in a hotel of former glory”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Expensive drinks, quite nice decor but not very. Worth a visit - if you have been everywhere else first. Unbelievably average. Could be the best place in Ashby to go for a drink but sadly needs some money spent on it.

Visited December 2013
Ibstock
“Two for £10.00 deal”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The royal offers a two for £10.00 every week night and you would have to go a very long way to find a better value meal. All meals are freshly cooked to order, so you might have to wait for a short time but sitting in the smart well furnished restaurant with full table service the time passes quickly. My wife had turkey and sage pie which was cooked to perfection with chips and peas, and I had a home made beef burger with all the trimmings and chips, which was also perfection. Excellent waitress service and also on reception. If you have the full 3 course meal you also get a free drink each, which is what we had on our previous visit there. Again it was very very good.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John L
“Sunday carvery”
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Sunday carvery in a party of thirty people was very good. Good choice of meats, plenty of vegetables and good range of desserts or cheese and biscuits. Good value in a relaxed environment. No complaints at all and will be back again.

Visited June 2013