“Needs refurbishment but would recommend it. ”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
“Needs refurbishment but would recommend it. ”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week. Free car parking. Free wifi. But doesn't reach all rooms. Very helpful and friendly staff.
Rooms are old and tired but good nights sleep. The food is hot and tasty.
Great location too. Plenty of place to eat on the town which is a 2 minute walk

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel on approach, looks tired and whilst the internal has the potential to be very grand with its double staircase, it is in need of a refurbishment. I stopped here for one night on business, the room I was given was also very tired and in need of an upgrade. On walking into the hallway on the approach to my room there was an awful smell of drains, which was still present in my room. On checking in I enquired about the food serving times and was told that they served food until 20.45, they had a large private function in but that was fine and I could eat in the bar or restaurant as it was the same menu. There was a large stag party in the bar so I chose to eat in the restaurant. At 20.10 I went through to the restaurant to get a table to be told that they had closed the kitchen early and were taking no more orders. I questioned this based on the information I was given on checking in. To be fair to them they did say they would check with the Chef to see if they could accommodate me, however I was so disgusted that I went into Ashby itself and found a restaurant. All in all not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shacks14

Travellers are raving about these Ashby-de-la-Zouch hotels

Minety, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked a couple of double rooms at the Royal before I checked their bonefides on Tripadvisor. When I did check the reviews were not that good. However our stay was very good. Reception (and staff in general) were very helpful and efficient; the place was clean, neat and tidy; our room was warm and well furnished. The lounge bar was comfortable with a decent range of drinks. I was very glad that I did nor cancel our original bookings. Perhaps the Royal is 'on the up'.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the air conditioning fans - although not too intrusive they might disrupt th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
North East Wales. UK
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Two nights, bar area, wifi, pleasant staff, free plentiful parking (pay and display voucher), close to town and restaurants (hotel restaurant closed Sunday).

Hotel restaurant is a gem. Good prices, stimulating and different menu, excellently cooked and served, wonderful flavour but also beautifully presented (and my second visit so its consistent)

One negative- I wasn't struck by the coffee

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Coalville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were due to have our wedding at the Royal in spring 2014. After having a visit and reading the brochure we could see the hotel was dilapidated but the brochure stated the hotel was to undergo extensive refurbishment in 2013. This never happened and on subsequent visits the hotels state of repair worsened, increasing damp patches, shabby furniture and generally dirty. The hotel management team were unaccommodating to the menu for the wedding breakfast and we were told there is no menu sampling available which is standard practice for most wedding venues. Also, we did not sign a contract but the hotel felt it was in their power to with hold £200 deposit which we still have not got back. Ultimately we felt we were paying top price for a hotel and service which falls well below expectations, there are much nicer venues in the surrounding area, so brides and grooms be aware of this hotel, I would not recommend you book.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charlie R
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We eat at the Royal Hotel regularly and it never disappoints!! All the staff are warm, friendly and nothing is too much trouble even when we request food/drinks to have in the garden whether or not they are busy with functions etc....A big thank you once again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank June D
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was booked in for two nights through work and after reading the reviews, I was dubious.
I was greeted with friendly attentive staff. Who explained the car parking procedure. The receptionist directed me to my room and explained where and when breakfast would be.
Although my room was not refurbished, it was newly decorated and clean. As was my shower ensuite.
Not knowing the area i ate in the restaurant. I was told it was a new menu with a variety of dishes. The food was hot, tasty and very enjoyable. The breakfast didn't disappoint either and was cooked to order and delicious.

Will definately stay again next time I am in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Best Western Appleby Park Hotel
#2 of 7 in Castle Donington
The Unicorn Inn
The Unicorn Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton Solney

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!