“Fantastic Wedding Venue for Quality and Price!!”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We had our Wedding Reception at the Royal Hotel and we couldn't have asked for more. We had heard bad things but Im glad we didn't listen to the rumours! Some rooms are a little dated, but clean and comfortable and fit in with the period surroundings.
John 'Master of Ceremonies' was fabulous in arranging the Wedding to the last detail and all his staff were equally helpful. Our guests were impressed by how family friendly the staff were and their accomodation of people's needs. There are also wonderful gardens - a brilliant setting for photos. The Master of Ceremonies had personally tidied the garden and planted flowers for the wedding (what I call putting in 110%). The food at our reception was 5 star and there were many compliments both from day and evening guests. I personally found the chocolate heart dessert fantastic in taste and presentation. We were not ripped off, as many wedding venues seemed to charge for every little extra! We got seat covers and table lining, all included in the price per person, which I thought was fabulous and the room looked great. Timing of serving ran like clockwork and nobody was rushed. We truly had a wonderful day and night in the honeymoon suite. We were very comfortable and everything was clean, what more can you ask for??? I would definitely recommend this as a Wedding Venue!

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank AdvisorMidlands

Reviewed 8 June 2009

after reading reviews on here about the hotel i was in two minds about staying here but on arrival to our room we was on the second floor on the front of the hotel. which was located on the main road as many of the reviews of the noisy busy road well it wasn't noisy and we had the window open most of the night. it was nice to see the rooms had been refurbished and were modern looking on the next day we went down for breakfast the food was great and so was the service. we had stayed at this hotel as my friends were getting married, we can recommend the hotel for these events the staff on the day were excellent and made sure every detail was taken care of. in all a great weekend was spent in the hotel. shame about the weather

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2009

An impressive looking building both outside and inside with an interesting history however it could do with maintenance as it is well past it's sell by date.

If you are staying in Ashby you don't have a great choice to be honest.

Unfortunately it is let down by being on a main road. There is also a pub attached and in my room I could here all the goings on! The noise from the busy road outside also prevented a good night’s sleep.

The room was on the front of the hotel and was very spacious; every floorboard seemed to creak when you moved about. The decor was also in dire need of modernisation.

Breakfast, both food and service, was fine.

Checking out took about 10 minutes as there was only one person dealing with front desk.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 12 August 2007

When booking this hotel I asked for a room overlooking the garden as I thought it would be quieter than one overlooking the road. We have stayed in Ashby several times before (not at this hotel) and there is quite a lot of traffic noise. Thought we would try the Royal to see what it was like.

First impressions – we thought the room was great: spacious, on a corner of the hotel with windows on two sides. Maybe a bit green and chintzy (as we had expected from the website) but lots of storage space and a pretty garden view.

It was fine on Thursday but when we got back on Friday evening it turned out that the room we had been given was directly over the disco where a 21st birthday party was being held. The music would not have been such a problem had it not been so loud that the room was literally shaking and the floor actually vibrating. When I phoned reception about it the receptionist said that it would finish at midnight and pointed out that I had asked for a view of the garden, the implication being that I had only myself to blame.

The following morning when we asked, dreading, that there would be the same level of noise that evening, the same receptionist told us rather gleefully us that there was indeed going to be a wedding reception and repeated “Well, you did ask for a room overlooking the garden!”. Eventually she grudgingly offered to move us to a different room “but it won’t overlook the garden” (got the strong impression we would be put in the pokiest, second noisiest room available) but we could not face gathering up all our stuff as we were only staying one more night. On the Saturday night there was indeed a wedding reception – more music until midnight thumping underneath.

I don’t understand why they didn’t warn me when booking that this particular room was going to be above a noisy function on two out of the three nights we were staying. I can’t believe there haven’t been similar complaints before, and surely they should have reserved this particular room for people involved in the event. There are clearly rooms overlooking the gardens that are not directly above the disco.

On a more positive side, as I said above, it was a very nice room. Breakfast was really good and the restaurant staff very pleasant and helpful, as were the cleaners. The gardens would have been nice to wander round if we hadn’t have had to barge through the various celebrations (we couldn’t work out how to get to them otherwise).

Ashby is a weird sort of town which has shops selling nothing but irons and kettles. There is hardly anywhere to eat except teashops. It seems to be a place where people don’t go out. If they do, they go out to the pub to watch football, or they go out once a year on their wedding anniversary to a staid, over-priced restaurant. Or, if they get to be married or 21, they celebrate loudly at the Royal Hotel.

One year when we stayed in Ashby, there was quite a nice wine bar. Next year, it had closed.

I emailed the manager of the Royal when we got back who said that “if” we had not been told that there would be loud music underneath then she must apologise – it would have been more gracious if she had acknowledged that the person taking the booking had obviously fallen down on this occasion because there was certainly no “if” about it - there is no way I wouldn’t have run away screaming from the suggestion of horrible disco music till midnight!

In the past we have stayed at the Fallen Knight which is strangely quiet, at least at weekends, and a bit boring, but at the moment it seems preferable to the Royal as we experienced it.

So, be warned, if you want to stay at the weekend and are not keen on noise, be quite fussy about the room you are offered!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank rachelg62
Reviewed 6 August 2007

I too was impressed with the website (lush gardens etc) and didn't realise the hotel was directly on a main road, so that was a bit of a shock. We had also arrived slap bang in the middle of a wedding and had to shamfacedly push our way through the glamourous throng in our shorts and t-shirts and struggle up the stairs aware that the photographer on the landing was waiting for us to hurry so she could take some photos!
Yes, I agree with the other reviewers - its a hotel that seems to be THE place for weddings and not for guests who want a quiet weekend away. We were out that night and returned at 12.15 just as the disco stopped - however we were kept away until after 1.00am as the guests went to their rooms still calling out to each other!
The room was okay - rather dated 70's decor, window too high up for a view but had what you'd expect in terms of trouser press, telly etc. Both my partner and I thought the bed was rather short? (accentuated by the use of sheets and blankets!)
Breakfast was fine (we made sure we got down before the wedding party!) and freshly cooked; I'd also mention that the staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful
Like the other reviewer I wonder if this hotel fares better during the week for business guests - its not a relaxing weekend venue though.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank londonlady2
Reviewed 5 August 2007

The breakfast at the Royal Hotel was fantastic. Plentiful, hot, delicious, served by courteous and considerate staff, who thought nothing of offering to warm milk for a baby's breakfast, or getting a high chair.

Unfortunately this was the best thing about our stay, and the breakfast would have tasted a lot better if we had come to it on a full nights' sleep. However the live band and wedding disco between them put paid to that. And although the hotel bills itself as "family friendly" we were struggling to think how. Apart from the offer of a cot, the pounding music and lack of changing facilities or proper nappy disposal made it less than ideal for families with young children.

The staff seem to be more concerned with getting revenue from their wedding parties/pub ventures than from paying guests, and this was evident when i asked for some sheets for our travel cot, and was told, "Well we do have a wedding on." Not exactly the response you'd expect from a £65 a night hotel. Actually, it's not the response i'd expect from a £5 a night hotel either.

Overall impression - the Royal Hotel is enough to turn anyone republican!

2  Thank EmilyDyad
Reviewed 30 July 2007

We chose this hotel because it looked quite posh and said it was set in acres of its own grounds. What it didn't say was that it was on a main road and under the flight path of East Midlands airport. What it also didn't say was that there would be loud (and I mean LOUD) music till well after midnight.

We came as a family (mum, dad, son and wife, daughter, husband and baby) for a birthday party. We shared the hotel with 200 wedding guests and a separate live disco. We were on the second floor and so it was not too bad, apart from the shrieking of the wedding guests and the background drumming, but son and daughter in law were right above one of the live music events and really suffered.

The family with the baby were initially put on the first floor but were moved to the second floor where the music was still too loud for the baby to go to sleep.

My breakfast was fine and the staff attentive, but my husband said he was not overly impressed.

I could not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank liesbeth56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Hotel
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Ho...
#1 of 3 in Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Champneys Springs Health Resort
Smithy Studio Bed & Breakfast
Smithy Studio Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Ashby-de-la-Zouch

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!