“Pleasant hotel, but starting to get a little tired”

Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed here with my family for a friends wedding, and stayed in one of their four-poster rooms with a pull-down bed for our two little children. The room itself was quite comfortable, althought you might need to turn the temperature down as it was ridiculously hot - still, rather too hot and controllable then too cold and not.

The bathroom, given the room rate, was quite disappointing - a bath with basic overhead shower is not what I'd expect. If this was refurbished then the room quality would hit 4+.

We didn't have dinner there but did have breakfast - it was fairly straightforward, being just continental style or full English. Well, I say "full", but there were no mushrooms, and the bacon and sausage was disappointing in quality.

So overall it was a pleasant enough stay, but it could do with some work on the bathrooms and better quality (and choice) of food in order to justify the four-poster room rate.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Andrew K
Sysonby_Knoll, Owner at Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western), responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Many thanks for your review and your constructive comments. We have an active rolling refurbishment programme and since your stay the bathroom you refer to has now received a new shower, new flooring and other improvements.

We try to use local ingedients wherever possible and always source with quality in mind, so this should not be an issue, but thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I would recommend this hotel to anyone but with the advice of avoiding room no10. For 2 reasons one there is a boiler outside the room that can be heard firing up every 10 minuites or so .Two the room is too hot with the thermostat turned down. We had the thermostat turned down all night and in the morning to get the heat to come on i had to turn the stat to 24deg c . So there may be heating pipes that run under the floor. We could not have the windows open because of the noise from the boiler. We only stopped for two nights and did not really notice this untill the morning after our first night so i did not complain but did put it on the review form.Its a shame because the hotel was not full and the owners must be aware of the issues so should have put us in another room. One final complaint is the gates to the car park are closed of a weekend at 11.30 pm at night as stated on the signs leading to the car park. On Sunday night i had left some bottled water in my car because it was cooler than the room. I went to get it on Sunday night at 10.50 pm and the gates were closed so there was no access to my car whatsoever as there is no night reception.
The staff are really helpul and friendly and nothing is too much trouble.I liked the decor which is part of the character of the place. And i liked reading about the history of Sysonby Knoll.Breakfast was fine as was the afternoon tea. Its ideal if you are a fisherman as there is a river that runs at the back and the hotel has the fishing rights.i would stop there again but not in room 10

Room Tip: Avoid room 10
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and would stay with us again.

Room 10 is always a popular room and tends to be let preferentially as it is a large, comfortable room and is close to Reception. We are sorry that you were disturbed on your second night by noise and are investigating the issue with the heating.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Great value for money. Friendly staff, and great food!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I normally work from home, but generally visit my company HQ in Melton Mowbray between once a week and once a fortnight; and so I am a frequent guest at Sysonby Knoll Hotel. Over the past couple of years I have come to know both the owners and staff.
The hotel is situated around 15 minutes walk from the town centre of Melton, so if one chose, it is possible to seek to dine outside the hotel. However, the food in Sysonby Knoll is invariably excellent, so I mostly eat in the restaurant where there is an A La Carte menu supplemented with a daily set menu. I can recommend Sue's Steak & Ale pie - one if the best I have ever had. Also, the full English breakfast is substantial and sets you up for the day.
The bar has a good selection of drinks, and for the beer drinkers like myself, there is usually a draught beer from the Belvoir Brewery available. I personally like Star as it is a bit more heavily hopped.
The staff are friendly and helpful, and the rooms are traditionally furnished and comfortable.
The owner, Gavin, is a bee-keeper, and he has a number of hives placed close by, but away from the hotel. It is possible to purchase home made honey and/or honeycomb.
Finally, for frequent stayers, the hotel operates a loyalty card scheme. Stay 9 nights and get the 10th free; have 9 meals & get the 10th free. Since I have been a frequent stayer in the past, I have several full loyalty cards that I shall enjoy when I shall stay with my wife now that I have retired. I would recommend the Sysonby Knoll Hotel to anyone wishing to stay in the Melton or surrounding area.

Room Tip: Rooms 2 & 3 both contain enormous 4 poster beds, one of which has mounting blocks to enable you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed here recently for 1 night as part of the Leicestershire Tourist Information food event. We had a disabled twin room on the ground floor, although we did have to go outside to get into the room. This was very comfortable, clean, well furnished & warm. Part of the package was an evening meal up to a certain value, we could pay extra if if we exceeded this. The menu was fairly extensive, reasonably priced & our choice was made in the comfortable bar. We were advised that there would be a lengthy wait for our meal.This threw up a problem as I need to eat within an hour of an injection & we only just about made it, which made me rather anxious. The dining room was the only room in the hotel which didn't seem to reflect the comfort of the rest of the hotel. In the morning we were able to see the lovely views from the windows but somehow the uncarpeted floor & furniture didn't make me feel that I was relaxing in a top class hotel. The food was well cooked but huge portions were served which seemed to us to suit the mainly male rep clientele so consequently there was a fair bit of waste. However the staff were at all times friendly & obliging.In fact I left some earrings behind & they kindly 'phoned our next destination & left a message for us about them. We liked the fact that our car was behind locked gates over night.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2011

A family weekend - 20 of us stayed here. We had a great weekend and felt that the hotel staff tried very hard to make this weekend a successful one. The dinner (included in the nightly rate) was very good with service equally good. There are a range of rooms - in price and quality/size. The room we had could have done with a face lift but others felt their rooms were fine. I think they only have one family room, but do have 4 poster bedrooms for those who wish to indulge!

Our stay in November didn't encourage us to make best use of their garden, but I feel that in summer, it would further enhance the guests' experience.

Would we stay again? Yes, value for money with very good service. We can forgive the slightly dated furnishings.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are probably the best ones.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversay........... We loved it ! The lady who checked us in and took us to our room was very friendly . The room was lovely with a huge bed that was so comfy possibly the nicest bed we have ever slept in we were trying to decide how we could fit it in our bedroom, the room had everything we needed and the bathroom had a nice deep bath .
We ate in the restaurant in the evening, The waiting staff were very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble and our meal was very very nice, Breakfast in the morning was first class and much to my amazement there was toffee yoghurt and I love toffee yoghurt could not believe my luck ! Can't wait to return .

Room Tip: Room 3 was lovely
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Sysonby_Knoll, Owner at Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western), responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your kind comments about Room 3 and particularly those about the staff, who will be delighted to know their efforts are being recognised.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
11 mi away
Rothley Court
Rothley Court
#1 of 1 in Rothley

Been to Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)? Share your experiences!