“Wonderful Return Visit”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melton Mowbray
Ragdale Hall Health Hydro & Thermal Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Return Visit”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've been going to Ragdale Hall for 17 years and it never fails to impress me. I've just retuned from yet another return visit and I'm planning my next visit.

Firstly the staff are all very friendly and attentive, from the moment you arrive to when you leave. I never take advantage for the porter parking my car, but it's always there is you want it.

I find the food wonderful and plenty of it. Last year I had one disappointing meal but this year it was back up to, and maybe even exceeding, the the usual standard. Everything cooked to perfection and tasty. We changed some of our meal times with no fuss whatsoever.

Reading the reviews I know some people are not keen on the breakfast tray served in your room but I love it. I just need to be able to open the door, no getting dressed to go to a dining room. I noticed this year you could choose when your breakfast was delivered, I liked this new option because I like my breakfast early so I can make use of all the facilities without having to worry about exercising on a full stomach.

Lunch was plentiful. I was surprised by the review food ran out at lunchtime, in all my time visiting the food always looks as plentiful at 1.30 as it does on the 11.30 sitting! I love the soups too.

The Spa area is to die for, I spend many relaxing hours going from one spa room to another and dipping in the pool, especially the one that goes outdoors.

I had a swimming lesson with Jon which was fantastic. I'm a mature swimmer trying to get more confidence. He was very patient and I can't believe how much my technique and confidence grew over an hour!

The fitness timetable is very comprehensive and caters to all abilities. I did XCO walking which I really enjoyed, an aqua class and sunset stretch. All the instructors were knowledgeable and friendly.

I just had the inclusive treatments. They had changed the choice this time and I opted for the Soft Touch massage and a back and neck massage. Although I enjoyed the Soft Touch massage it did seem a little pointless, however I fell asleep so maybe not so pointless! The massage was brilliant and the therapist was very interested in my areas I had a problem with and concentrated on those. My friend did feel a bit rushed on her treatment, but as it was the first magically poor thing that had happened over all our visits so didn't say anything.

I do like the new Express Treatment area, as you don't always know how many treatments you want before you go. My friend used it and loved her treatment.

I've always had the same room on most of my visits. It's a single, that is well decorated and very clean. It's not that large, but really what do you need? I sleep in it and that's really it.

All facilities are spotlessly clean. Staff are constantly collecting empty cups and tidying the lounges and seating areas.

The Hall was full when we were there, but you wouldn't know. Thanks to the number of lounges available everyone is spread out and there is plenty of outdoor space with lovely gardens too. The Retreat is one of my favourite places.

The ambience is just perfect and is so relaxing. I am not a fan of hotels with a spa, I much prefer a dedicated spa where I can wear my robe all day, yes even to dinner. I don't want to have to dress for dinner, so Ragdale is perfect for me. I also like the fact you can lounge out on any sofa or chair and no one blinks an eye if you fall asleep. Surely that's the point of this type of break?

My only slight gripe is they do tend to pack in the day guests and sometimes I find they can be much nosier than those staying there. However I don't think this is unique to Ragdale and happens in most spas. Maybe when you are totally immersed in the ambiance all day you want more calm. It's not the fault of RH but people still insist on talking in the Candle Pool even though there are numerous "Silence Please' notices. One group walked in very loud, saw me apologised and then continued to talk. I find it very annoying but I'm not sure what else can be done.

I have tried other Spas but I never find anywhere that matches Ragdale for relaxation and the customer care. I will be going back for many years to come.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alison S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Reading TripAdvisor reviews we expected luxury at every corner so whilst the spa facilities, staff, food and treatments were excellent, we were very surprised that our room (for an anniversary overnight stay at full price) was two beds pushed together in a small, slightly musty room in the main hall. There had clearly been no investment for twenty plus years in this wing. No air con, worn carpet and creaky floorboards. For one night it was too much bother to ask to be moved as we assumed all rooms were the same. Now, having read other reviews I wish we had, as there may have been better rooms available.

The staff were lovely, the therapists were excellent and I would return for a day visit but completely put off by the "old people's home" style rooms. Needs investment. Especially as we had paid over £400 for the experience and had explained that it was a special occasion.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NinjaDetective
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just had our second visit to Ragdale and it was as perfect an experience as the first. My wife likes to get the full pampering, whilst I must admit I am not usually one for all the skincare stuff, we both had a fantastic few days relaxing in a peaceful setting. I enjoy a gym session in the morning before joining Claire and going for a dip in the pool and time hydro therapy spa. Afternoons were spent having various treatments, the sports therapy message was excellent, and generally relaxing reading magazines. The food at Ragdale is excellent too. Neither Claire or I wanted to leave.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This place is absolutely amazing,just perfect.The staff without exception were polite,friendly and welcoming,from the time we arrived to the time we left we could not fault them or the service provided.Ragdale is run very efficiently,it is spotlessly clean throughout,the food excellent and the facilities are excellent.Our room was a twin superior and was lovely,breakfast served in room was a real treat.The spa area and pool is stunning and again spotlessly clean.The meals ,particularly the lunch time buffet are very good and the variety is excellent and there are indulgent desserts for any one who wants them!The grounds are very pretty and there is a lovely outdoor pool as well.
Ragdale has a very relaxed and informal atmosphere,you can just wear your robe all day even in the restaurant if you choose to and many guests do.
This was my first visit and I am already planning my next,cannot wait to return.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have never wrote a review (or felt the need too) ever in my life, but I was that impressed with the high quality of everything at Ragdale Hall that I feel the need to share.

As soon as we pulled into the drive and got out of the car a gentleman came to take our luggage into the building, we were greeted by the reception and straight away taken to a gorgeous lounge area were she kindly ordered drinks for us. Another lady then came and took all our details etc and explained where our room/plans etc where and we were ready to go all within 10-15 minutes! Excellent!

The second thing I noticed and loved about Ragdale was the decor it is absolutely stunning, a complete mix of old, new, bright, light, modern, traditional. There are that many rooms all decorated differently that you would be stuck to not find somewhere to your taste. I really am a sucker for detail but they nail it in every single area.

Thirdly the staff! They are all so polite, no matter your age or the age of the member of staff they are so well mannered and greet your in a very professional and friendly manner.

Everywhere was spotlessly clean I have never seen anything like it and the food was amazing! All the food on the menu was cooked in a healthier way so you knew you were getting something you could savour and enjoy but you weren't piling on the pounds while eating it!

All in all it is just a really lovely place to visit, my mother loved it and we shall both be returning. There is such a lot I could say about this place but basically YOU MUST GO!!

Room Tip: The suites are lovely!
1 Thank MaryFairy93
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My mum and I visit Ragdale Hall one a year as a treat for ourselves and as usual we were not disappointed.

Our room this year was in the Lodge house just off the side of Ragdale Hall. It has four bedrooms, private parking space and a small garden. It was the first time we had stayed in the lodge and I would certainly stay there again. The bedroom was beautiful, great views, spacious, well decorated with a large bathroom. It only takes a minute to walk from the lodge to the actual hall itself, and we were lucky the weather was so lovely - perhaps not such a nice stroll in the middle of winter. The staff did say however that if we did get caught out in bad weather they would replace our robes if they got wet! There were also umbrellas by the doors.

The spa facilities, staff, food and overall hospitality were great. We had two treatments each which were absolutely lovely. Everywhere was clean and tidy and well looked after.

Looking forward to our trip back there again next year!

Room Tip: In all the years I have been (nearly 10) I can honestly say I've never experienced a bad room.
Bishopsteignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

First time visit to Ragdale and it was a memorable experience.

We were greeted by one of the many, but friendly, staff and provided with a useful induction tour.

The food was fabulous, so much choice, I actually put on weight over 4 days stay here.

Everything very clean and to a high standard.

Therapists could be a little burks, but the treatments themselves were very relaxing.

The facilities were amazing, there are many things to see and do, even if it rains you won't be bored.

Can't wait to revisit sometime in the future.

First class, exactly what other spas should aspire to be like!

(If you try one thing, try the atholl brose at breakfast - divine!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beth M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
Kilworth House Hotel
Kilworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Kilworth
Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)
Stapleford Park
Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Rothley Court
Rothley Court
#1 of 1 in Rothley

Been to Ragdale Hall Health Hydro & Thermal Spa? Share your experiences!