“Really great stay at Scalford Hall”

Scalford Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
Derby, United Kingdom
“Really great stay at Scalford Hall”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my hubby needed a break away - we didn't want to go too far and found Scalford Hall. The hotel is lovely and in fabulous grounds. Melton Mowbray is a 10 minute journey with great parking and a lovely market - is a lovely place to visit.

We heard Scalford Hall had gone into administration which we were really sorry to hear about as the staff and food was excellent. Thanks again for a great stay and we will be coming back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear SarahM,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and had a great stay. Melton Mowbray is well known for it's market, along with the Pork Pie Shoppe, and Stilton Cheese!

Unfortunately Scalford did enter administration in October last year, however we are close to announcing a new owner, and an exciting future for Scalford Hall, and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon!

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Scalford Hall - Fantastic value - We couldn't have purchased an evening meal for the price it cost for a three course evening meal (excellent) and breakfast. The staff were as always, friendly, polite and helpful. I believe that they should advertise their special offers and feel that if they re-opened their web bookings there would be a full house! Scalford hall is set in a beautiful location with a stunning entrance, wonderful staff. I do have to mention that the room we stayed in, although it had all the requirements and was clean, did require a little bit of titivation in the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JandM T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay and you found it to be great value. We do offer great value stays throughout the year, and regularly e-mail special offers to our database, which do offer great value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here recently for 4 nights on a business trip and found my experience of the hotel disappointing to say the least. On arrival the room was cold and I didn't have a bath in the room which these days is usually provided as well as a shower in most hotels. Also the bathroom was freezing and the bedroom wasn't much better, I asked for an extra blanket and was told there was one in my wardrobe, I said there wasn't and was told there should be and after much deliberation one was brought to my room that looked like it hadn't been washed for some time! I also asked for an ironing board/iron to be brought to the room and was provided with a small travel like iron that spat water out over my clothes and wasn't really ideal for the job! On the first morning I went down for breakfast and was given sausages that were off - I was asked why I hadn't eaten them and I said I think they are on the turn. They were taken back to the kitchen and whilst the waitress was lovely she came back out and didn't offer any kind of explanation or apology for them but the following morning I was greeted by "we've got some fresh sausages today"!!!! surely they should be fresh everyday ! I also ordered room service on two evenings the first time it was a turkey sandwich that was served on bread that wasn't as fresh as I would have expected and the turkey was very fatty and grey and didn't taste nice at all, with this I'd asked for a bowl of chips which weren't all cooked properly. On the next evening I ordered the Ham, Egg and Chips - again the chips weren't all cooked properly, and the Ham was very fatty - I didn't enjoy this experience at all and on both nights I placed the tray outside my room as instructed only to find that it was still there in the morning when I left the room. Also in the room there were cobwebs and spiders and also 2 flies buzzing about (in January!) where does one get flies from in January? Finally, when I went back to the room on my last evening I found that my door had been left open for anyone to walk in and there was a bag of rubbish on my bed, also the linens weren't changed at all during my stay, overall my stay here was very unsatisfactory and I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone at all and I will also be reporting the sausages to the Food Standards Agency.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank hollyhock2014
Dear hollyhock2014,

I am disappointed to read your review following your stay at our hotel. I do apologise for the poor standard of housekeeping you mention, and I have shared your feedback with the head housekeeper and assure you that this is not our usual standard.

I am most disturbed to read that you believe the sausages served at breakfast were off and food poorly cooked. We operate to a high standard with our kitchens, and it is noteworthy to mention that we have been awarded 5 stars in regards to our hygiene and food storage/preparation, and we have a strong and longstanding co-operation with the local authorities to ensure we operate at the highest standards regarding this.

Having investigated your comments, the sausages served both days were indeed fresh, however the comment by the waitress related to the fact we had received a delivery that morning. I have however discussed you feedback with the kitchen brigade and reminded them of the importance of correct food hygiene procedures at all times.

Travellers are raving about these Melton Mowbray hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed on an overnight DB/B break and were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent both for dinner and breakfast and the staff were nice, especially Branca in the restaurant made us feel welcome although we were the only ones eating. It is true that the bedroom was a bit old fashioned but it was clean and warm and had everything we might need. The bathroom was small and chilly but again clean and complete with all amenities. The setting is very pretty too. Overall it was a good hotel for a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Jagate01,

I am pleased to note that you found us good value for money, with the food being excellent, and Branca delivering great service throughout.

We do pride ourselves on the levels of food and service we offer, and I am delighted to read that you found this to be the case.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here in-between Christmas and New Year. The price was fantastic and included breakfast. One evening we indulged in a stunning meal. The views were stunning and the architecture was interesting. Parking was free and close to the hotel. the wifi was fine. Most of the staff were great - see below

The room was chilly and the bedding was not up to the job especially when the heating went of overnight. Although not the fault of the hotel but the room was noisy with door slammers, loud tv and loud phone calls. Housekeeping made a real racket chatting laughing and being loud. My wife asked them to keep it down in the end.

The room was dated and could do with an upgrade. But it was very clean I have paid a lot more money for far worse places than this.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for your review following your stay at Scalford Hall.

I am disappointed to note that you found the room chilly and you experienced some noise issues. Whilst it is difficult to control other guests behaviour, I have taken the time to speak with the housekeeping team regarding the 'racket' you mention, and do apologise accordingly.

I am however pleased to note that you enjoyed the building and views, and the price was fantastic. We do offer great value stays throughout the year, and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall again.

Leicester
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with great scenery albeit a little too far away from town to walk, a short taxi ride sorts that out!
Lovely room, very comfy and nice big bathroom. They had a wedding there the night we stayed however, the room
was nice and quiet.
Melton mowbray is lovely sampled a few of the local pubs ;)
but also went to the newly refurbished cinema - which is a must! Im in my 30s but this took me back to when i was a child going to flicks with the smell of popcorn as you climb the stairs and velour seats just lovely.
Great nights kip and lovely buffet breakfast in the morning. Friendly staff too.
Great stay in melton mowbray even stopped off at the sunday market on the way home :0)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Ehuggy
Dear Ehuggy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and managed to enjoy the delights Melton Mowbray has to offer.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here as a family, we had 2 rooms, the rooms were clean but needs updating, the bathroom was in salmon pink and falling apart, cupboard door hanging off and the shower was old and scaled up.
The chair in the bedroom was broken and there were a lot of stains over the bed covers and sheets.the bed was hard as rock, there was tea and coffee in the bedroom but only biscuits for one. The main areas of the hotel are lovely but the rooms do need attention as are letting down the experience of staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David H
Dear David H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at our hotel. I do regret the bedroom was not to the standard I would expect and do apologise for this matter and assure you I have addressed this with the relevant departmental managers.

We do operate an on-going preventative and decorative maintenance programme throughout the hotel and bedrooms, and following your review I have asked our maintenance to prioritise your bedroom.

We do appreciate all constructive feedback received, as without this we are unable to continue developing the standards to which we aspire.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)
Harboro Hotel
#4 of 7 in Grantham
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to Scalford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!