“A good effort but improvements needed”

Scalford Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
Bovingdon, United Kingdom
“A good effort but improvements needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

This hotel has great potential but it lets itself down with minor issues. Set in the middle of the countryside with pleasant views it had great potential. We booked at a very reasonable rate for the weekend and were allocated room 30. When we entered our room we were surprised how cold it was even though the radiator was full on and then how small the bed was for a double. This room was quite large compared to the average, but very poorly laid out. The desk dressing table at one end the mirror at the other, the bed central with only one table lamp, and a wardrobe that was not deep enough to hang your clothes straight.on the rail. Our bed was very small and the minimum width for a double and unbelievable spongy.so much so that we found ourselves meeting in the middle for more reasons than space ! Why have such a small bed when the room could easily accommodate a king or a queen size. On the plus side, the room was very clean, tidy and of a reasonable decor.
Breakfast was super, full english available with great bacon, but let down by the poor quality sausages. Finally the foyer area was sparse and uninviting and there was no information available on the local area, attractions etc.
So to conclude, a clean hotel, good value for money but let down by the bed and the poor room planning,

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large bed if you need a double!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just back from a lovely weekend break at Scalford Hall. A beautiful old building, fantastic staff and a lovely good sized room with a beautiful view of the gardens! Would highly recommend a stay here, granted its not the Ritz but its historic building, the grounds and staff more than make up for this! We would definitely stay again.

2 Thank Michelle T
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Michelle T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at our hotel.

It is always pleasing to receive such a positive review of Scalford Hall, and I am glad that you had a lovely weekend.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall again soon!

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed one night but could easily have stayed longer thanks to the wonderful setting and lovely features of this historic building. Yes it is a bit tired in places and the shower cubicle was tiny and bordering on dangerous due to the high step but the rooms are clean and well presented overall.
I have never stayed in a room so HOT!!! but to be fair the radiators doe have thermostats so you can turn it down if you want.
The roaring log fire is great and a walk around the grounds is a nice way to unwind after a busy week. Breakfast was superb, a good quality full English based on a buffet so you could eat as much as you liked.
Overall, I would thoroughly recommend a stay here, although the new owner has big plans so it can only get even better!

Dear NBD1966,

Thank you for your review following your stay at our hotel.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my hubby needed a break away - we didn't want to go too far and found Scalford Hall. The hotel is lovely and in fabulous grounds. Melton Mowbray is a 10 minute journey with great parking and a lovely market - is a lovely place to visit.

We heard Scalford Hall had gone into administration which we were really sorry to hear about as the staff and food was excellent. Thanks again for a great stay and we will be coming back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SarahM,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and had a great stay. Melton Mowbray is well known for it's market, along with the Pork Pie Shoppe, and Stilton Cheese!

Unfortunately Scalford did enter administration in October last year, however we are close to announcing a new owner, and an exciting future for Scalford Hall, and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Scalford Hall - Fantastic value - We couldn't have purchased an evening meal for the price it cost for a three course evening meal (excellent) and breakfast. The staff were as always, friendly, polite and helpful. I believe that they should advertise their special offers and feel that if they re-opened their web bookings there would be a full house! Scalford hall is set in a beautiful location with a stunning entrance, wonderful staff. I do have to mention that the room we stayed in, although it had all the requirements and was clean, did require a little bit of titivation in the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JandM T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay and you found it to be great value. We do offer great value stays throughout the year, and regularly e-mail special offers to our database, which do offer great value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here recently for 4 nights on a business trip and found my experience of the hotel disappointing to say the least. On arrival the room was cold and I didn't have a bath in the room which these days is usually provided as well as a shower in most hotels. Also the bathroom was freezing and the bedroom wasn't much better, I asked for an extra blanket and was told there was one in my wardrobe, I said there wasn't and was told there should be and after much deliberation one was brought to my room that looked like it hadn't been washed for some time! I also asked for an ironing board/iron to be brought to the room and was provided with a small travel like iron that spat water out over my clothes and wasn't really ideal for the job! On the first morning I went down for breakfast and was given sausages that were off - I was asked why I hadn't eaten them and I said I think they are on the turn. They were taken back to the kitchen and whilst the waitress was lovely she came back out and didn't offer any kind of explanation or apology for them but the following morning I was greeted by "we've got some fresh sausages today"!!!! surely they should be fresh everyday ! I also ordered room service on two evenings the first time it was a turkey sandwich that was served on bread that wasn't as fresh as I would have expected and the turkey was very fatty and grey and didn't taste nice at all, with this I'd asked for a bowl of chips which weren't all cooked properly. On the next evening I ordered the Ham, Egg and Chips - again the chips weren't all cooked properly, and the Ham was very fatty - I didn't enjoy this experience at all and on both nights I placed the tray outside my room as instructed only to find that it was still there in the morning when I left the room. Also in the room there were cobwebs and spiders and also 2 flies buzzing about (in January!) where does one get flies from in January? Finally, when I went back to the room on my last evening I found that my door had been left open for anyone to walk in and there was a bag of rubbish on my bed, also the linens weren't changed at all during my stay, overall my stay here was very unsatisfactory and I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone at all and I will also be reporting the sausages to the Food Standards Agency.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank hollyhock2014
Dear hollyhock2014,

I am disappointed to read your review following your stay at our hotel. I do apologise for the poor standard of housekeeping you mention, and I have shared your feedback with the head housekeeper and assure you that this is not our usual standard.

I am most disturbed to read that you believe the sausages served at breakfast were off and food poorly cooked. We operate to a high standard with our kitchens, and it is noteworthy to mention that we have been awarded 5 stars in regards to our hygiene and food storage/preparation, and we have a strong and longstanding co-operation with the local authorities to ensure we operate at the highest standards regarding this.

Having investigated your comments, the sausages served both days were indeed fresh, however the comment by the waitress related to the fact we had received a delivery that morning. I have however discussed you feedback with the kitchen brigade and reminded them of the importance of correct food hygiene procedures at all times.

Travellers are raving about these Melton Mowbray hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed on an overnight DB/B break and were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent both for dinner and breakfast and the staff were nice, especially Branca in the restaurant made us feel welcome although we were the only ones eating. It is true that the bedroom was a bit old fashioned but it was clean and warm and had everything we might need. The bathroom was small and chilly but again clean and complete with all amenities. The setting is very pretty too. Overall it was a good hotel for a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Jagate01,

I am pleased to note that you found us good value for money, with the food being excellent, and Branca delivering great service throughout.

We do pride ourselves on the levels of food and service we offer, and I am delighted to read that you found this to be the case.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
#5 of 7 in Melton Mowbray
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to Scalford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!