“2nd Visit to Scalford Hall”

Scalford Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is our second visit to Scalford Hall and both times it has been via a Wowcher. Our Wowcher was for 2 nights with a meal included on the evening of the second night.

Scalford hall is an impressive building located 10 minutes drive from the centre of Melton Mowbray and has ample parking and perfectly manicured grounds (many of the shrubs/trees were in bloom during our stay). It is also a perfect location for visiting many areas like Melton Mowbray, Rutland water, Oakham, Grantham ... the list goes on.

On arrival we were allocated a room but on entering the room it was clear housekeeping hadn't finished and had left the room in a real state! We reported this to the Duty Manager who rectified the situation immediately and moved us to a room a few doors down. The Duty manager was impeccably efficient, very professional and apologetic for what was clearly an honest mistake. Our stay wasn't inconvenienced at all by this because of his swift action.

The rooms are a little tired in decor and fittings but for the price we paid we were very happy with the standard and size. We have paid more for less in many places across the country. The bathroom & bedroom were both clean and a comfortable ambient temperature. We were fortunate enough to get a room with a large window overlooking the gardens and while the weather wasn't the best it was nice to look out onto all that greenery in the morning and hear the numerous birds.

As mentioned the deal we had included a meal on the second night. You get a choice of 3 or 4 starters, mains and puds. The only supplement was an extra £3 for the higher priced items such as king prawns etc. The food is all of a high standard and prepared, presented & served in good time by very polite & chatty (without being intrusive) waitresses. I particularly enjoyed the belly pork and the obscenely decadent chocolate fondant dessert.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Scalford Hall and will definitely go back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DrWorm79

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We bought our deal off Wowcher we were meant to stay for 2 nights (Friday & Saturday) but left on Saturday morning. To say we were bitterly disappointed is an understatement, we'd been looking forward to our weekend away for weeks as it looked such a lovely place. We checked in & the place smelt very damp & musty, the radiators didn't work in the whole building & our room was freezing cold (found a heater in the wardrobe luckily which wasn't very good), the bed was rock hard (could have played table tennis on it), the shower you couldn't get the right temperature either too cold or hot & it was very small couldn't bend down in it if needed to get anything. Downstairs in the lounge/Lobby was like an old peoples home (as someone has previously said), the only good thing was breakfast which was very nice & the staff were pleasant. I'd Definetly not recommend this hotel to anyone! Went into Melton Mowbray & the nightlife is non existent it's like a ghost town (if anyone has ever watched Hot Fuzz & how 'weird' the people are in it will understand what I mean?) will be sending a complaint email/letter of complaint not worth £119 of anyone's money!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights over the bank holiday and had such a FANTASTIC time. The hotel is located in its grounds but not to far away from the town centre.
The room was comfortable clean and tidy, but most importantly very good value for money.
The staff were very helpful and welcoming. Compliments to the chef, breakfast was great.
I will definately recommend this hotel to friends and family and I will visit again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ch3ryl_t
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was first assigned a room that was already occupied, when I pointed this out I got no apology. The new room assigned was the kind of thing you expect in a seedy hotel, dirty shower, couldn't get temperature to work. No courtesy shampoo. Couldn't find courtesy tray at first (it was in a drawer) there was no tea or coffee on tray, so had to borrow a tea bag.

The television turned itself on twice in the night, searched around at 2am to find plug (back of desk) to unplug. Only free socket for kettle was at floor level so had to kneel on floor to boil. Sink was in bedroom. None to clean bed covers. Supposed to be half price £59, who in there right minds would pay £118 for a poor quality single room? Didn't stay for breakfast.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank George R
Reviewed 1 May 2014

From the facade of Scalford Hall, you would expect a beautiful country hotel offering suburb accommodation and good food. Sadly neither were present during our stay. We stayed luckily only the one evening with family. I checked in and had been allocated a single room as per my booking, when I arrived the room resembled a cell, there was no room for me to remove my chair from under my desk and there was a foul smell (which I later found to be a surprise from a previous guest which housekeeping clearly forgot) the receptionist was very pleasant and immediately relocated my room. I was then moved to another room which was even worse, the bedspread was stained and looked as though it had not been washed in weeks, the radiators did not work at all, so I resorted to using a portable heater- this combined with the kitchen extractor fan located below my bedroom window and the uncomfortable mattress sadly I managed to only get two hours sleep. The bathroom was clean (no surprises) and the shower was pleasent. The overall decor is very outdated I had two pictures on my wall one underneath the other- the lounges resemble a nursing home, the dining room was nothing speacial and the guest information is inaccurate (i.e. there were no extra blankets in my wardrobe or even a bedside light). The ''Games Room'' and ''Gym'' were located in the basement and resemble something from a horror movie and clearly hadn't been cleaned or used in a while , the gym floor was coming loose and there was a distinct smell of damp throughout the corridors, the games room was split between two rooms one with a pool table (that you had to pay to use) and an old table tennis table with a bunch of battered rackets and a football table with no ball! The dining room was overpriced and the food was very disappointing as a three course meal was in the region of £27 and it was very bland.

The only positives were that the staff were pleasant and friendly (especially the lovely Portuguese waitress who was very attentive) and the grounds and facade are impeccabley presented). But sadly the basics are not quite right, the bedrooms are very average and not what you would expect, the bedding resembles a thin blanket with a sheet (similar to hospitals) and the cleanliness is well below par.

If anyone from Scalford Hall does happen to read this review please see these constructive reasons for improvement:

1) Make sure that your rooms are fit for use (i.e. make sure there is enough space for all of the furniture! Your website after all promises amble seating space in rooms!).

2)Spot check rooms to ensure the cleaning basics are there! I.E make sure previous guests have not left any unsuspecting presents in the toilet bowl. Also check the bedspreads as in both rooms they were stained!

3) Basics, basics, basics......Bedside lights, adequate heating, alarm clocks and extra blankets, all promised in the guest information but nowhere to be seen in either room! Also consider using plain white covers and duvets instead of the hospital blankets it's 2014 after all!

4) Guest facilities- Both the Gym and Games room need a major refurbishment and cleaning once in awhile. The floor is disgusting and the equipment needs replacing! On a positive the grounds are beautiful!

5) Food- seriously either lower the price or change quality of the food as it's not worth the money! It's insulting to a paying guest! On a positive the waitresses were lovely and the service impeccable!

6) I didn't see any quest questionnaires or comments cards in either room, it might be worth adding and monitoring them so that you can see areas for improvement.

Overall I was very happy with the service but the basics need a lot of work!

Room Tip: Top Tip- do a thorough inspection of your bathroom and bedding cleanliness, if you do not find it ac...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank StarBoy1990
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Fantastic location, great grounds. Breakfast good. Staff very friendly. We have stayed here a couple of times and at non peak times the rooms are really cheap. Loads of parking. Enjoyed coffee sitting out in the grounds.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gee G
Reviewed 28 April 2014

What a great way to spend my Aunt's 90th Birthday! Seated in a lovely lounge full of comfy sofa's and chairs, we were brought a selection of sandwiches on excellent quality bread, a selection of home made cakes (the lemon drizzle cup cake was to die for!), and then some wonderful scones with huge bowls of preserve and cream. Thank goodness for the big pot of tea to wash it all down! Scalford Hall Hotel is a hidden gem, set in lovely grounds. My 3yr old Grandaughter loved running around the large gardens when she got bored. The staff were all very attentive and professional and made my Aunt's day very special indeed. We'll be back for more!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)
Harboro Hotel
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth
Stoke Rochford Hall
Stoke Rochford Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Rochford

Been to Scalford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!