“Best contryside Hotel! :)”

Scalford Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
London, United Kingdom
“Best contryside Hotel! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We spent 2 nights in Scalford Hall, and we just loved is. The Hotel is a very old building with a lovely athmosphere, so quiet. The room was averagely decorated, nothing special. We tried the bar and the living room and we really enjoyed the silence with a glass of wine each, was very cosy. The breakfast and dinner was also good, cant really complaint. We tried the gym, the darts and the billiard as well,it was so much fun, nobody bothered us downstairs. Quiet area, lovely environment, good food and drinsk, games, what else do you need to relax? It was a perfect, enjoyable weekend. We will definitely come bak!

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the garden for a good night sleep.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank London-Sunshine8228
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear London-Sunshine,

Thank your for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at our hotel.

We do have a fantastic, peaceful location on the outskirts on Melton Mowbray, and many people do comment on the tranquil setting.

I have taken the time to share your feedback with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall Hotel again soon.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Bedford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Booking a room at very short notice via the internet we were very pleased by the competitive price we paid, especially as it included a full English breakfast too.
One of only a few couples staying on a quiet Sunday evening, we had a very relaxing and peaceful night, staying on the ground floor of the annex.
The room was clean, and all the usual hotel extras were provided as standard, even a good strong internet signal.
The few staff we came across were very helpful and we enjoyed having the place practically to ourselves.
Taking the opportunity to walk around the beautiful grounds as well as a good look around the place, were we rather disappointed to find plenty of evidence of a recent wedding event, in the form of used ashtrays full of cigarette butts and empty beer glasses scattered around the grounds outside.
Going downstairs to visit the gym, we noticed the strong damp smell, despite the dehumidifier, and even noticed a large lump of fungus growing on the woodwork !
The venue would benefit from a little more attention to detail, but to be really honest I felt we only got what we paid for.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sims Z
Dear Sims Z,

Thank you for your review following your stay at Scalford Hall Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and I have shared your comments with the team regarding attention to detail, and this matter has been addressed.

We look forward to welcoming back again in the near future.
Old Colwyn, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked a 2 night stay in Scalford Hall for 2nd & 3rd May. This booking included a 3 course evening meal on Saturday. As we were out for the day, we reserved a table on Saturday morning for 8.30 pm. Arriving in the dining room at 8.20 pm we were informed no table was available for us as other guests (who had not reserved a table) had been given our table. We were then shown to the lounge and were told that our only option was to eat our meal in there. This meant eating our 3 course meal bent over a coffee table.

I expressed my dissatisfaction with this and wanted to know what the point was of booking a table when it had not been reserved? A member of staff offered to discount our 2 main meals to compensate for our discomfort. We accepted this gesture of good will.

Unfortunately, when checking out the next morning, the Duty Manager, said she had not been given this information and was unable to reimburse us as our payment for the stay (inclusive of the evening meal) had been made in advance.

I e-mailed the Owner and Manager of Scalford Hall when I arrived home, requesting that the agreement of a reimbursement be honoured but found that the Manager was not prepared to do this. I was offered a 20% discount off my next stay but this will not be used as I would not consider returning to stay at Scalford Hall.

Apart from the way we were treated in regard to this matter, if you are staying in a room in the annex, expect to hear every footstep from the room above.

In summary, I would not consider using this venue for an occasion as I was not at all happy with the response to my complaint and would be apprehensive of encountering any problems and expecting them to be dealt with in an acceptable way.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank alison411
Dear Alison411,

I am disappointed to read your review following your stay at our hotel, however we have corresponded separately regarding your stay with us and problem with your dinner reservation, and this matter has been dealt with accordingly, however it is disappointing that you were not satisfied with the outcome of our correspondence.

The offer made does still stand, and I do hope that you will reconsider and come back for another stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Melton Mowbray hotels

Sudbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Scalford Hall is quite an impressive House, the grounds are a delight. Comfortable beds, although the rooms are in need of some refurbishment. Very quiet location, with a morning chorus from the birds. We enjoyed a couple of days with friends exploring the local countryside and towns. The staff were all very friendly, and we enjoyed the stories about the house , if only the walls could talk! Teresa Roger, Margaret &Len

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Teresa A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and enjoyed the facilities and the grounds. We do have plans in place for improvements over the next 18 months, following the hotel recently being purchased, with one of these improvements notably being the purchase of 35 new beds already being made, along with some remodelling of the public areas, and the creation of two brand new suites which should be complete by the end of June.

We do have extensive grounds, and I am delighted that you had the time to enjoy these, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall Hotel in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My partner and I had looked at 16 wedding venues and we had narrowed it down to Scalford Hall and another venue. We tried to arrange a meeting with their business director (who is also the wedding planner) to discuss arrangements/cost and going forward. We were very surprised that the wedding planner does not work weekends but she organised a time to meet us in the evening (no later than 6.30pm) which we had to give her 2 weeks notice for and ensure we arrived on time.

When we arrived to meet her at the hotel she left us waiting for over 15 minutes, despite her being insistent that we arrived on time, and we weren't even offered a tea/coffee or even guven an opportunity to buy a drink. She sat down to discuss the package we required which we had already emailed to her in advance of the meeting.

We wanted to book the hotel exclusively which she clearly wasn't happy about and was insistent that we should just hire the room as new doors had been installed which would ensure hotel guests did not join in. As we were intending to have an open bar, we wanted our own guests only in the room, not hotel guests. When we asked her if this system had worked, she told us that they hadn't had a wedding since the doors had been installed. A bit confusing why she didn't want us to book the hotel exclusively which was more expensive too!

To our surprise, she had also INCREASED the room rate for our guest from £49 to £79 per night which she was unwilling to explain why which did not seem right to us, especially when we went online and saw that they rooms were already advertised online at £49 for the same night.

We also asked if we could swap a meal from the a la carte menu into the planned menu which cost exactly the same price, which she rudely said no to, again no explanation.

We asked her who was in charge of organising the day and she said she was, although as she didn't work weekend so a duty manager would organise our wedding day. When we asked if we could meet them before, she said as long as they had time.

The managing director/wedding planner seemed as though she didn't want our wedding business and was unwilling to answer our questions. When you are spending thousands of pounds, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for the packae to be clarified. the managing director/wedding planner even rudely said to us that 'we wouldn't be happy celebrating our wedding at Scalford Hall'.

An absolutely shocking service offered by Scalford Hall. We went with the other venue even though they were more expensive and the staff have been amazing and so welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank supershiv4
Scalford_GM, General Manager at Scalford Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear supershiv,

I am most disappointed to read your review following your wedding enquiry for Scalford Hall Hotel.

Firstly, I should note that we do offer appointments at various times to suit brides, including weekends where required, however we do require appointments for the details meetings.

In regard to the exclusive use of Scalford Hall Hotel, this is something that we gladly offer, however we are also aware that in the current economic climate, price is a sensitive matter, and for the budget available, exclusive use was not possible, and the Business Development Manager was trying to offer alternatives to match your budget while not affecting exclusivity of the area the event is held.

It is noteworthy to mention that while the Sales Team do not attend all the weddings held at Scalford Hall Hotel, full handovers to the Operations Team are held, and if a direct meeting is required, this is always gladly arranged, however the Banqueting Manager on the day can vary depending on rota's, all of our Duty Managers are fully trained and capable of running a wedding or event to the high standards we demand.

Our rates do change daily, and I can confirm the rate of £79 Bed & Breakfast quoted for your guests, is an agreed rate for wedding parties at the hotel, as this is guaranteed, even if the available rates increase, and I do apologise if this was not clearly explained, and I can assure you the £49 is not a standard selling rate for our double bedrooms.

I am apologise that you were not satisfied with the way your enquiry was handled, however I do assure you that we did endeavour to do our best throughout your enquiry, and I am disappointed that you felt the need to post such a review on the basis that on this occasion, we were unable to reduce our prices to match your budget, and you did not find the alternative options acceptable.

I wish you every happiness in your forthcoming nuptials, and do hope you will consider re-visiting Scalford Hall Hotel again for a future celebration.

Cross Hands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have stayed in Scalford Hall a total of 3 times now and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
The room was a good size and everything worked like it should. The grounds are a delight and in the morning with the sun shining and the sound of the birds in the trees made you feel good to be alive and well. For the price we paid you couldnt even stay in a travelodge. The breakfasts are really good to. If you cant see what you want just ask for it and the staff will do their best top help.
Melton Mowbray is only 3 miles away so if you dont want to eat in the Hotel Wetherspoons is Handy and for £10 you can get Fish and chips + a soft drink or a Pint for 2, "Bargain".
We WILL be staying again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear PeterandJayne,

Thanks you for taking the time to leave your review following your third stay with us.

We do offer great value stays throughout the year, and have various offers available and I am pleased to read that you find us to be great value for money.

I do hope when you visit us next, you will dine in our restaurant, and experience the food our new Head Chef cooks.

I have shared your feedback with the team, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Scalford hall is quite local for us, but had a reputation in recent years for needing updating/facelift etc. I heard recently that it was much improved and I had a large delegation from Poland visiting, I thought it would be a good idea to test it out... I did warn them that a varied selection of Vodkas would be required and a barman who wasn't going to wilt under pressure with the stamina required to be attentive into the small hours.... Imagine my surprise when I discovered I had a party of Poles who included two non-drinkers, and the rest drank less than I did! All that training in the pub to get the liver ready for alcohol overload was completely wasted (which thankfully I wasn't).
But the hotel; staff were superb, helpful and attentive at all times. The location is very attractive, the grounds are now very tidy with a putting green, croquet pitch/court/green (whichever), and even an outdoor chess set for those who prefer to take their pimms accompanied by a more intellectual than physical challenge....
The food was well above average, they loved the cooked breakfasts, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and well appointed.
I have no hesitation in recommending Scalford hall as a venue for business meetings and accomodation.
It may not be Blenheim Palace but the price is right and the service cannot be faulted.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sir-Ranulf-Fiennes
Dear Sir-Ranulf-Fiennes,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at our hotel. We do pride ourselves on the food and service we offer, and I am delighted that you found this to be the case.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Scalford Hall to see the further improvements we are making to the hotel over the coming months under the guidance of our new owner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
#5 of 7 in Melton Mowbray
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to Scalford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!