“Friendly and comfortable - good value for money. Free Wi-Fi”
Review of Harboro Hotel

Harboro Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
Swindon
“Friendly and comfortable - good value for money. Free Wi-Fi”
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Melton has a limited amount of hotels and I was looking for somewhere where I could host a meeting for a couple of hours in the evening. When I phoned the staff were very helpful and arranged a free meeting area for me on the basis that we were going to stay there.

On arrival the staff were very friendly and efficient - the meeting area was sorted out for me without having to ask and me and a colleague were checked in quickly and easily.

You can park right outside the hotel for an hour but the hotel has it's own big carpark located at the rear.

My room was warm and comfortable - a little noise from the main road but not enough to bother me. The bed was comfortable, good TV and a clean, basic bathroom. Had a nice hot shower in the morning, so no problems there.

The breakfast in the morning was good - had a traditional fry-up with coffee and orange juice.

In the evening I spoke to the owners and they mentioned some of the poorer reviews they have got.

Basically, yes this is a bar/hotel but at £50-60 for a night I thought it was good value. It's not necessarily a romantic break place (and you'd probably expect that at the price) but we were well looked after and had a good laugh talking to the staff.

The main bar in the hotel had a good selection - it had some lovely real ales and we tried a couple - top marks. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it looked like it had a good home cooked selection.

I stayed over on a Thursday night and there is a farmers market in the old Cattle Market on a Friday morning. The market had a really good range of meats and vegetables and the chance to stock-up on the town's famous Pork Pies and Stilton.

I would stay at the hotel again, based on the price, welcome and generally comfortable room. The free Wi-Fi beats a lot of the chain hotels.

Thanks guys for making us so welcome!

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank anglopete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Norfolk
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Well, just call me "Mr Stupid", Why oh why didnt I checkout the Harboro Hotel on Tripadvisor before booking.
On checking their website it all looked and sounded fine. The first glaring misnomer is that is that it should be called The Harboro Pub... Hotel is certainly stretching a point..Cast your mind back to the 1950s and you are tempramentally set. We arrived after sorting out where to park and walked through the main back door entrance. All conversation in the pub stopped and eyes swivelled around. Nice. The gound floor was was a large pub with various areas for eating and with a room set aside for Tribute nights. Yes our luck was in for tonights tribute was Tom Jones. The reception desk was a cubby hole with a sliding glass partition that Im sure could be shut in an instant to protect staff from fists,spit and bullets. The "receptionist" / bar tender was a young smiley girl who checked us in and handed us the key to our room, number 102. "theres two keys, love, one for your room and the other for the back door (entrance through car park) 'cause if you come in after 11.00 pm the fronts locked and alarmed, (dont want to set that off)
Well we carried our luggage up to the first floor and after several minutes we were able to unlock the door with the shiny loose door handle. The room was a throwback to "Billy Liar"!... embossed wallpaper, dirty cream, dirty both in colour and in surface grime, wardrobes that no doubt conformed to the sales pitch that "they'll last 50 years" probably bought 60 years ago. But what really summed it all up for me was in the toilet. The toilet holder was broken so no toilet roll could be placed there. However... on the top of the toilet cistern were not one, but two toilet rolls each of which had between 5 and 10 sheets of toilet paper on them.
Well after a meal and some fresh air in the town we returned for some sleep. Yes youve guessed it our room was right above the Tom Jones Tribute performance. So for an hour or so the thumping beat of "Its Not Unusual" thumped through my head. Finally, finally there was quiet.... of a sort, we became aware of the traffic as our room faced the main road, but anything was better than the throbbing beat of the Tom Jones immitator.
Next morning.as we handed in our key, £70 the poorer.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Melton Mowbray hotels

Manchester
Reviewed 16 March 2009

The hotel was completely run down. It needs a complete refurbishment as it looks like it hasn't seen any paint in 30 years. The Reception Area was bad enough but the Dining Room was unbelievable. The Specials Board gave it away: Chicken Burger or Vegatarian Lasagne - wonderful!! I only had breakfast but when I saw it I was nearly sick. It was self-service. The hot plate was swimming in about half an inch of fat and the fried eggs just floated on top. It was absolutely filthy. It reminded me of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. If they allow the public to see that hot plate then what is the kitchen like?

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
E Yorks
Reviewed 17 September 2008

Already booked by other half before I saw the other reviews here.

We arrived at 7 ish in the evening. From the outside the hotel looks nice enough, but walking past the windows to a large dining room with only 2 people in was the first sign of how far past its best this hotel is.

The pub area that you first walk into is nice enough, but this impression goes downhill when you get to the hatch that serves as reception to the hotel. We waited for a little while the 2 staff members complained to eachother about the demands of the previous guest to check in. Having said that they were friendly enough.

The hotel upstairs and rooms are past their best, the old fashioned central radio/light control showing that it was probably quite smart in the 70s and the decor suggesting it had been refurbed on the cheap in the 80s.

Having said that, our room was clean enough although v basic and fairly worn.

We had to leave very early in the morning so were surprised when we woke up and none of the lights worked and had to get dressed in the dark.

Not really worth the money and a shame that more seems to have been spent on it as a pub than as a hotel - possibly a sign of the times and how popular Melton Mowbray is as a place to stay.

Shame as someone with the money to spend on updating it would be able to turn this into a very nice hotel.

• Liked — the building & facade
  • Disliked — how very dated (decor & service) the whole place is
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 2and2kids
Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 October 2007

We selected this hotel for the convenient central location, but it was not worth it. The staff wasn't very accommodating at check-in nor during our stay. We reserved a quiet room away from the street, but when we arrived none was available. When I reported that all of the lights in the bathroom were burned out, they became annoyed with me. Our room was dirty, and the toilet would not flush. The whole place is run-down and tatty. We suffered through two nights, but never again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty, poor maintenance.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FoxWilshire
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 September 2007

For £55 a night (double bed/breakfast) we weren't expecting the Ritz . But we were expecting somewhere clean & functional - and surely a friendly welcome doesn't cost much? How wrong could we be.

The 'hotel' is a pub with rooms - a dingy, dark, souless pub at that. The decor is horribly old, run down, tatty - and the whole place smelt fusty and dank. The room, while a decent size, was dark & we immediately decided we woudn't bother using the bathroom which was out of the dark ages.

After an immediate reaction of 'let's find another hotel' we decided to stick it out -begrudgingly - mainly because there was no availability anywhere else.

When we returned to the hotel in the evening to change for dinner, the grimness of the room was too much to bear and we asked to see other rooms. One alternative I was shown had no working lights, so that was clearly not viable. However we were finally shown a slightly cleaner room which we moved into without too much trouble.

We knew the Harboro wasn't going to be luxurious. But I do expect somewhere clean and friendly - whether I'm spending £55 a night or £155 a night. The service was surly, bordering on rude, and the whole place needs a facelift - or failing that a very good scrub.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Poodey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melton Mowbray
Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)
Scalford Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale
Ibis Budget Hotel Leicester
Ibis Budget Hotel Leicester
#19 of 40 in Leicester

Been to Harboro Hotel? Share your experiences!