Kilworth House Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
1,056 results
All reviewsafternoon teatheatre breakpre theatre mealorangery restaurantgarden roomopen air theatresandwichesluxury roomchristmas decorationsbeautiful hotelclarins productspork piewedding breakfastmain coursebirthday treatlittle toucheswaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Disappointing !!!!
Having paid £150 per person back in October ( Non refundable) we were really looking forward to a lovely New Years Celebration. Whilst no one can dispute the setting and appearence of KH, the decorations were stunning. The rest was lacking.
On arrival there was no one to greet you, we had to wait for our champagne and the canapes were served by young girls who stood in the corner of the room and you had to go to her to help yourself.
The dinner ( 6Courses) was ok if not a little random at times. Smoked salmon with mango & Earl Grey sorbet?!!
The singer/DJ was excellent. He sang and played music all night and suited all tastes.
When midnight came there were no fireworks or piper in fact nothing happened except we all sang 'Auld langs syne'. Both have been included at other places for considerably less money.
The dancing was spoilt by a few couples who felt the need to do exhibition dances for everyone else. There were a couple of tables with 'younger' couples who were really enjoying themselves they did no harm and in fact added to the festivities,without them the evening might have been a little boring.
We did have a nice night but do I feel we got value for money? NO
We would go back if convenient but it wouldn't be our first choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank theexporters
Reviewed 4 January 2013

This was our third visit in recent times to Kilworth. On this occasion it was to celebrate our son's birthday. After a slow start, I think it would be better if arriving guests could be seen by the receptionist, we were spotted and shown to a lovely leather seated drawing room with a large fire. Our drinks order was taken and we relaxed whilst perusing the menu. We were shown to the fine dining room where our order was taken. The service was relaxed and leisurely we were not hurried and the staff were attentive but not over attentive. There was a wedding reception going on at the same time so they were busy but managed to not let it show! The food was excellent and the wine was delightful. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening despite the fact that I was the driver! Most importantly my son and his fiancee were over the moon with it. I suspect it will be a hard act to follow next year

Room Tip: We didn't stay but I would be very surprised if there is a bad room in the place
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank simon J
Reviewed 3 January 2013

KILWORTH HOUSE REVIEW – 15th December 2012

Our family today visited Kilworth House for my brother Philip’s 52nd birthday. The party of 9 was booked in for 12:30pm in the “Wordsworth Room” owing to their being a Christmas Event on in the Orangery.

On arrival we were shown to the lounge where we waited for the rest of the party to join us for pre-dinner drinks. We ordered a selection of drinkswhich included a bottle of white and red wine with 5 glasses. The waitress came along and placed the drinks on the table along with two bottles of wine and the five glasses. Unusually for Kilworth the bottles were left on the table with their screw caps on. We waited for a few minutes to see if they would be opened and the wine poured but it didn’t happen. Not a major problem, so we poured it ourselves but not the normal standard of this hotel, which has always, prided itself on efficient high quality service. Definitely not five star, more Chef & Brewer!

On to the meal ordering, my daughter has only recently been diagnosed with IBS so is dairy intolerant, but still a food lover. We ordered our food and she enquired of the Head Waiter in the Wordsworth if the salmon dish was dairy free, so he went to find out. On his return he said that it was not so she asked if she could have the smoked salmon on its own to which he sternly replied, “No”. No explanation was given but the attitude again was not becoming of this establishment. I personally went to the reception desk to complain and we were finally told that it was in the form of a terrine. Why not tell us that in the first place, again more of the Chef & Brewer style service.

To the dinner table we went carrying our two bottles of wine with us!! What is going on here?

When at the table the food was beautiful and fitting of the establishment but yet again the service let it down. My son asked for Ice Cream for dessert and then enquired about what flavours they had, to which the waitress replied, “I don’t know”. Why did she not say, “I will find out”? Once again less than satisfactory of a hotel which has never shown this type of attitude in any of our previous visits.

I love the place and will return but I will not put up with this again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank nebloc
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I have used Killworth for the past 2 years as a thank you for some of our best customers. We have a private room in the hotel for dinner, followed by the theatre and drinks in the log cabin. It is a fantastic experience, the rooms are great and breakfast is very relaxed in the orangery. If you would like a different Theatre experience them leave the west end and try Kilworth

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We attended one of the Christmas events in the Orangery on the 23rd Dec - our 5th year. I'm afraid it was very poor, both in the quality of the entertainment, which was amateurish and rather embarrassing and in the service and food. Service was particularly disastrous with miserable looking and grumpy staff - particularly the 'manager' in the restaurant. The food was below average badly delivered - for example our vegetables were served when our main course food had been eaten! They charged us for drinks we hadn't had and were generally very unprofessional and distinctly unseasonal! I'm sorry to say that this event has steadily got less good over the years and this will be the last time the eight of us attend. £60 per head for a mediocre turkey meal served by surly staff to the accompaniment of amateur hour, self-indulgent entertainers was the last straw. Sorry Kilworth but you do need to attend to the basics of decent food served by well trained staff - you cannot continue to rely on your lovely building and location.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends