“Lovely weekend”

Champneys Springs Spa
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just spent a lovely weekend at Springs, was first visit and would highly recommend for some chill time with friends. We were a party of 7 on a hen do and booked the "girls night in" package. Had early check in (10am) due to booking before March which meant we had the whole day to enjoy facilities. Our rooms (of which there were 4) were ready by noon so felt settled in and able to relax. We had upgraded to superior rooms which were lovely and had no issue with tired décor as suggested in previous reviews. I had the included massage and scalp massage which were excellent although 2 of our party felt the therapists they had were a little bit light handed. Others in the group had booked extra treatments such as facials and massages and all reports were good. I took part in 2 of the fitness classes (spinning and outdoor bootcamp) on the timetable and these were well organised and the instructor very good. The food throughout our stay was excellent. All staff were pleasant and accommodated our every need and were happy to provide the little extra touches we requested for the hen. Maggie at reception was particularly good. Pool area and facilities excellent. Oh and contrary to previous reviews I was glad to see that our rooms were kitted out with Champneys toiletries and plenty of them. We had an overnight stay with check out not until 4pm the next day so really felt like value for money. All in all a fab weekend.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"great stay"
"reception staff"
in 4 reviews
"nothing is too much trouble"
in 5 reviews
"night break"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 15 May 2014

So many holes in the very long drive and you could not avoid them The car bumped heavily down each one. Don't expect this from such a brand.

1  Thank Nick M
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had booked a corporate offer through my place of work and paid just short of £300 for an overnight stay which I felt was a complete waste of money so I feel sorry for those that have paid a lot more! As previous reviewer stated it is a hotel with a pool! I usually visit Hoar Cross Hall but thought I would give Champneys a try as i had heard good things. If you are looking for indulgence don't bother going here! The 'relaxation' area was like a hotel lobby scattered with sofas and a couple of chaise longues however don't expect it to be tranquil as you had the smoothie maker whirring in the cafe in the background! We were showed to our standard room but believe me it was far below standard, you could get better in a Travelodge for what you are paying here! We complained about the state of the room which had dirty marks up the walls and coffee splashed up the radiator to reception to be told we could pay to upgrade which we felt we had no choice but to do! We then went to the pool where a cleaner was hacking at the tiles presumably to clean them but this was far from relaxing, the pool and jacuzzi were Luke warm. If you are going as a couple be prepared to spend most of your time apart if you are looking to go in the sauna and steam room! There is a sauna on the poolside which can fit two people in, otherwise men and womens steam rooms are separate in their individual changing rooms! We arrived at 10:45am and were considering leaving by 2pm!Don't expect to get a slice of cake after your evening meal either as there is nothing like this, it is all very healthy food so if you are looking for a bit of a treat take some chocolate to eat in your bedroom haha! Sadly I feel champneys is lacking in the food area for those who want indulgence. Just felt like everything was money orientated whilst we were there which is great if you are lucky enough to have lots to spend but for those of us who have saved to come here it's not so brilliant! £2.95 if you want cheese and biscuits instead of a desert, £2.90 for a pot of tea, £6ish supplement if you want a cooked breakfast instead of yoghurt,bagel, eggs or cereal. Feel very let down by the whole experience, as I say complained whilst we were there but were not compensated just had to spend yet more money to make our experience better! As I have read previously apparently the owner does not take kindly to letters of complaint so feel like I will probably be wasting my time if I do that as my gesture of goodwill would probably be 10% off your next stay or something like that! I honestly felt more stressed when I came out than I did when I went in, did not feel relaxed at all.The only upside was that the staff were very friendly and attentive, in particular Mickala on reception and James in the restaurant. Sadly will not be returning....

3  Thank CPrice300887
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been her twice now, absolutely brilliant. Food excellent, facilities excellent. Only downfall, if you travel by train, it costs approximately £25 to get to Spa Hotel in a taxi, fine if the taxi is full, you can share cost, but only two of you it costs £50 in taxi plus train fair. The price includes all food and we had some treatments included in the cost, (facial, massage & hydro therapy pool). Look out for voucher codes on internet or in papers.

1  Thank valerie T
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I am a regular gym goer, work out with many different instructors, adore yoga, Pilates and know a thing or two about treatments, massage and nutrition. I was so looking forward to my relaxation day at Springs but was on the whole disappointed. I arrived knowing which classes I wanted to do but was met with a timetable made out for me. That set me on edge immediately as I live my working life to the minute and that was something I wanted to get away from. The reception ladies did move the back massage (that was pleasant) to a more suitable time but I had to give the Thalassotherapy a miss altogether or I wouldn't have made my lunch slot! I had been looking forward to the yoga above anything but was dismayed to see the teacher; overweight, totally out of shape and sorry but that was more of a twist and stretch for the infirm without a hint of a salute to the sun. Lunch was pleasant but the waiters didn't seem terribly sure that the meals were gluten free. I was hoping for a naughty slice of gluten free cake after my treadmill workout (the gym is tiny and outdated and the equipment is tired) but the cafe ladies weren't sure which ingredients had been used to replace gluten so I abstained. On the surface the spa does seem very welcoming and is a great idea for friends who wish to chill, catch up, pretend to exercise and eat cake but it is not for the fit. For my £99+ I had a little swim, a nice salad, a dreadful yoga session, a 25mins back massage and a snooze under a grubby blanket.

2  Thank christine p