“Good Spa Break”

Champneys Springs Health Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Packington
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is my 3rd visit to Champney's Springs. Generally they've got it right, you do feel a bit like a processed pea on a conveyor belt sometimes, but with the number of guests and various treatment bookings to organise I suppose that's inevitable. The staff individually are all very efficient, helpful and friendly.

A few negatives - the toiletry products provided in the changing room are awful; the pillows are horrible, really thick and bouncy; there are no towel rails in the bathrooms; you can't get radio through the TV set.

While we were there (the wet week at the end of May) I found everywhere cold, and the heating in my room went off overnight; although I had my radiator on maximum my room wasn't warm enough during the day.

I struggled to find classes that suited me during the day - all the Zumba classes are in the evening which is a shame, although the hula class was great fun and good exercise. I did most of my exercise in the swimming pool; I went in the spa bath on the first day and it was cold so I got out and didn't go back in, perhaps there was a problem with it that day.

It was difficult to arrange some treatments and we kept being told that it was busy yet there didn't seem to be that many guests there compared with previous visits, so the previous review about the reduced number of therapists might explain it.

I chose a couple of Elemis treatments this time - hot stone massage and the tri enzyme facial - they were more expensive than the Champney's treatments but I thought they were much better and worth spending the money on.

The food is excellent, at every meal - the wine prices are very high though.

I'm not sure that I will return in the near future as it does start to feel a bit formulaic once you've been a few times.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Carol_H846, Manager at Champneys Springs Health Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review with your very valuable feedback. I can assure you that I will be taking time to investigate and follow up all of the points that have been raised. We take a pride in the personalised service that we deliver and I am sorry to hear that we did not fully deliver on this occasion.

I do hope that you will provide us with a further opportunity to demonstrate a quality service.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and the specialised treatments.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've previously stayed at Champney's Forest Mere and wasn't hugely impressed with it (I've reviewed it on here). In comparison, the experience at Springs was really lovely. I did spend some time reading all TripAdvisor reviews on each of the Champney's resorts and decided to travel quite a bit further to Springs as it came across as the best venue. I'm so glad I did.

I was welcomed so warmly at reception, helped to my room and the staff treated me so well throughout my stay, especially in the dining room as they paid great attention to my allergies and greeted me by name at each meal.

The facilities are very nice, although I think they could do with some more relaxation space as it was very busy whilst I was there and every sofa and lounger was taken by robed, tea-sipping people!

Food is great. Pool is lovely and perfect temperature (unlike Forest Mere's cold pool). The grounds aren't as vast or spectacular as some places, but I did go for a little stroll one day. The treatments were, for me, of a standard nature - nothing spectacular. I think they could work more on making the treatments a little more special, but I was still relaxed following them.

I have to confess I booked 3 nights on a greatly discounted rate through Pru Health's special offer. For what I paid, this was exceptionally good value - but I most likely wouldn't pay full price for the same.

I really, truly enjoyed my relaxing stay and will definitely be back to this particular location, even if it does take hours longer to get to than the other ones.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room and upgraded. I had a lovely view with opening balcony doors in a very quie...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked to go to Champneys Springs for a much deserved break. We spent the night in a room with a radiator that banged and chunked all night. We reported this to the management and the next night they up graded us to another more luxurious room ....that turned out to have no heat so was freezing!!

Room nightmare aside....my most frustrating experience was that as we had not booked our treatments prior to our arrival, all the appointments were taken by day trippers. So the whole spa experience never happened so we ended up going to a show at the NEC!! This was certainly not a 5 star break and given that I expected Champneys to be the ultimate spa experience I could have had a swim and sauna at the local pool ...without the cost of travel and paying through the nose for a poor hotel. We were offered an extra night break by the management, however there are some experiences that are just not worth repeating in life even for free.

My advice, think carefully before booking, everyone's money is hard earned! If you do decide to go book your treatments well in advance. The facials in the Decleor outlet are better than the facials in the spa. Meals are good, as you would expect wine prices outrageous.

Room Tip: Upgrade the room to be as far away from reception as possible. The walk is worth it for the peace an...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank homeinthesun
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had an overnight stay with a friend which included a 25min facial & a 25 min thalassotherapy. We have stayed at Springs many times over the years, but I have never know the place to be so quiet. Very few people sitting around on the sofas and even less taking the classes. We did not book any extra treatments in advance & thought as there seemed very few people around it would be easy to book in for extras but this was not the case, we were told all treatments were booked up except for a 'Champneys Heavenly head & shoulder massage' When I asked why there was nothing available i was told that sadly the therapist employed had been cut down to half the numbers so those they do have are very busy. I thought this was a shame as everything was rather rushed, still very professional and relaxing but some how not as friendly. We stayed in the standard accommodation which I thought was dated, with an uncomfortable bed and pillow. The food howevere was excellent as we're all the staff especially the reception staff. I would not bother with a Heavenly Head & shoulder thing, although one of the cheapest treatments it seemed to consist of a lot of head scratching and a bit of hair pulling. I always look forward to staying at Champneys and will return.

1  Thank SUSSEXBB
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We came here for my sister's 40th, she comes every year on her Birthday and loves it but I failed to see the attraction.
On arrival we were told the pool was out of use, and did we wish to re-arrange the weekend? Having travelled 3 hours to get there it was alittle late to reschedule.
We decided to try to make the most of it anyway, the food was great but the communal areas very comfortable but the leisure facilities were poor. Obviously the pool & jacuzzi were unavailable but we found the steam room didn't work particularly well. When on day 2 the pool & jacuzzi were back in use, the jacuzzi wasn't warm enough to enjoy sitting in.
There were four of us on the break, and found the treatments had been scheduled in such a way it was difficult/impossible for us to eat together. The treatment rooms weren't warm enough and the massage was poor, the wrap however was enjoyable.
Overall I was very disappointed, there were no offers of compensation for lack of facilities, and in my opinion a Spa without a pool isn't a Spa.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LancsDay
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Got a great deal for myself at Springs and wanted to take Mum for 60th and got 30% off her stay too. Included evening meal, breakfast and lunch with 2 treatments. Arrived at 2pm and stayed in lovely superior room. Very relaxing, treatments great.. Aromatherapy wrap, facial and thalassotherapy. Bought voucher to return later this year! Friendly, clean and very healthy.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My friend and I visited champneys.,Leicestershire on 22may for two nights.On arrival welcomed like part of the family.,all the staff so friendly.The food tip top so delicious.we decided to have a sports massage,usually go for relaxation.,fantastic sports massage would recommend it.
The pool was quiet nit many people,so relaxing.The quiz on the Friday night good fun,and it's for charity,well done.The staff,ambience,food,treatments,rooms.excellent.visiting again in September.,our fourth visit now.

Room Tip: Room 24 good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packington
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
Hermitage Park Hotel
Hermitage Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Coalville
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Champneys Springs Health Resort? Share your experiences!