“Some constructive criticism” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Packington
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Some constructive criticism”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2007

I took my best friend here for a special treat (30th birthday present) and we were both very excited as we were both 'Spa-virgins'. Any criticisms I have are minor, bugging us but not to the extent of spoiling the weekend.

Reception was good, very friendly staff but the promised 'tour' half an hour later did not happen. Lunch was nice, good range of choices on the buffet. For the main course you have to go up to the end of the room, fill a little bowl with ingredients and hand it to a cook who prepares this in front of you, with a type of pasta you can choose. There is no explanation anywhere of what's meant to happen, we just followed other people who knew what they were doing and had to explain it to a lady behind us on the second day who didn't have a clue. Little signs pointing out pepper, herbs and garlic would be useful (especially for the garlic which isn't instantly recognisable as such), we missed this on the first day and our pasta dish was bland as a result. The most disappointing feature of any meals was that you have to pay extra if you want anything other than tap water with your meal - I went for a superior room so thought I'd paid enough...
Dinner was lovely (but had to pay extra for wine).

The room was lovely, very spacious, the bathroom disappointing, rubbish shower with water coming out from all directions, plus it was impossible to have a shower without flooding half the room, causing one side to be very mouldy.

We were unlucky to have the generator just outside our room but with the windows shut it wasn't very loud. In the summer I would want a different room location.

The gym is small but sufficient. We loved being able to walk round in bathrobes and slippers (or flipflops in my case as they didn't have any slippers in my size).

I agree with others that the spa could be warmer, we liked the pool and jacousie (although expected it to be warmer and there were only bubbles on one side, not sure if that's on purpose or if one side was broken) and the aqua aerobics that we came across by accident. We never saw any of the included, i.e. free, classes advertised anywhere, only those we would've had to pay extra for.

We got 2 mini-treatments with the package, massage and facial, and we both enjoyed them very much.

Like I said, all criticisms are minor but enough to try another spa before coming back here.

• Liked — Walking round in bathrobes, the bedroom
  • Disliked — Having to pay extra for a lot of stuff, the shower in our bedroom
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LittleTinker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed Champneys Springs. My room was lovely (standard room), the facilities were excellent and the food was unbelievable! After a day at the pool, sauna, steam room, gym and various classes, I enjoyed a lovely 3 course meal with wine, followed by a walk around the lovely grounds, and have never felt so relaxed in my life. I think the best part, though, was to be able to lounge around in my robe and relax! There are leather sofas everywhere, encouraging you to relax and read a book - or just snooze. Just saying the word 'champneys' makes me smile as I had a wonderful break. This place caters for everyone - from the superfit, to the overweight who just want to 'get away'. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank OKHappy
Chelmsford, Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2006

Booked a midweek getaway which included one night and two days and 2 mini treatments.

A good Spa, a bit cold in places and not that many places to sit and chill out. The jacuzzi was cold on the first day then warm on the next day (!), rooms were excellent and spacious (we stayed in a standard room). Shower was a bit rubbish (but I'm just being picky).

Food was excellent, so yummy and lots of choice for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike. My treatments were very good and I bought another treatment whilst I was there which was a bit of a let down (detox wrap).

Staff were all very friendly as was a relaxed atmosphere. Robes cost £5 to hire and you have to buy the slippers which I thought was a bit cheeky as most spas normally lend these things to you.

Would I go there again? Prob not - I prefer Ragdale Hall (excellent) and my firned said the spa at center parcs was far more superior with more spa type rooms to go in.

Would I recommend it? Yes, overall a nice place to go and relax, but there are better spas.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank zimbobimbo
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2006

We had a blissful three day break, the food was gorgeous, the classes excellent and the staff very helpful. We felt human again (you know that pre children individual person thing).

Yes agree the spa and changing areas are very cold and to be honest we had expected alot more from the spa, after being to the Aqua Sana Spa at Centre Parcs then Champneys is a big let down - given that the steam rooms are in the changing rooms not ideal if you are a male/female couple, also no mood lighting etc. We spent most of our time in the gym/classes/treatments so we gave the spa a miss.

We had a two hour pamper ritual at £89 which was pricey but as a treat well worth it. The treatments in general are very pricey and could really add up if you are not careful.

It is worth checking out the offers in the newspapers as we got our package for £190 for the two of us for two nights with food etc, treatments were extra but as we had got such a good deal we splashed out on the two hour treat.

A great place to go with a friend to chill out together, but not really with your man (only saw four couples there) We would love to go again!

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank SOG
Leicester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2004

Springs is a low-built, modern spa that was taken over by Champneys a few years ago. I'd not been before, but was desperate for a last-minute break in a spa/resort like this, having left Hoar Cross Hall after just 15 minutes.....

Champneys has a well-deserved reputation - the staff were lovely, the food superb and the range of treatments & activities enormous (including tennis, cycling, even a full-sized football pitch - a lot of teams have stayed here, including the England squad).

There are a couple of tiny gripes, like charges for some activities (eg. yoga, Pilates). However, we will definitely return.

4 Thank nearywaldron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packington
Sketchley Grange Hotel & Spa
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,023 reviews
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Hotel
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Ho...
#1 of 2 in Ashby-de-la-Zouch
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,127 reviews
Kilworth House Hotel
Kilworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Kilworth

Been to Champneys Springs Health Resort? Share your experiences!