“Rocky, with bright spots”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Bourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Clean rooms, friendly staff and great cooked-to-order breakfasts accompanied by attentive service, plus excellent TVs, However, also flimsy furniture, poor ventilation and noisy apparatus switching on and off very close to rooms, early in the morning.
Don't expect things that usually work in hotels to work here. I had something very critical sent to me there on my arrival day, tracked, but they returned it to sender the same morning, rather than keeping it to connect the name on the envelope with my reservation! I had to change travel plans as a result, but no allowance was made for all my extra expense on the bill, even though they knew it was their error. They said WiFi worked in my room (11) but it only did 5% of the time - not a practical connection. (Room 12 is probably worse!) I wasted a lot of time trusting them, thinking it was a computer setting. They said there was someone to help all night, but when I went down at 10:20 pm the first night the whole reception area was in darkness and I was totally locked out. There was no bell to ring, or phone to pick up to reach anyone.
The last problem was just keeping at the right temperature on a warm night. The only bed covering was a warm quilt, so I was too hot underneath it and too cold with nothing covering me. Having the right temperature on average, between hot legs and cold shoulders, is not very good! A simple sheet, with a blanket that can be pulled over if it gets cooler during the night, is much better suited to the warm temperatures with open windows.

Room Tip: Ask if they have installed a WiFi repeater if you need WiFi and they assign rooms 11 or 12 (at back...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel recently for a family wedding in the village of Bourne. Hotel very centrally located and comfortable. A fan saved the day due to the high temperatures on the days but hotel was clean and breakfast fresh and as much as you needed. Staff were very helpful and more than happy to assist with any requirements you had. No wi-fi in the room we had which in todays world is probably one of the first things travellers look for.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back keep you away from the noise of the pubs at night and traffic during the day.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTDAberdeen
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We took our bikes up to Bourne and got a warm welcome from the proprietors of The Angel, an old coaching Inn. There was a big public car park for our landrover The Angel was clean,comfortable with a good quality breakfast. The hotel is set in a little complex of shops (good pictures in the Framers shop) which are very pleasant, We cycled out to Baston Fen nature reserve on a glorious sunny day, and all around the town, The Abbey gardens and the Old Red House are worth a visit. This is a nice centre for the Fens.

Room Tip: We were in the front looking out on the Town Centre which was fine, nice big room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Friendly staff. Nice breakfast. Wifi did not work in the room I was in which was a bit of a problem because I was working. I was told it worked downstairs but I could not get onto the internet when I tried so advise checking when where and if it is working. Tv ok. Room a bit run down and attention to detail needed over a few things. Staff are doing it up so hope all goes well for them, it is a good location. Thursday evening the Chinese restaurant down the road to the left has a delicious Buffet. It is a B and B not a Hotel as there is no Dinner, but plenty of choices a short walk away. I last visited 7 years ago when it was a lovely little Boutique Hotel so I was a bit surprised at the change - I gathered it has had a few different owners since then. Anyway good luck to the new owners I hope they can build it up.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for whilst visiting the area for a wedding. The two rooms we had were very different in character and were clean, neat and well furnished and decorated. There was a good variety for breakfast and service was very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2014

nice little hotel in Bourne high street. Had a fantastic breakfast in the morning. Room was at the back and was quiet and nicely furnished but not that big. Be aware that Bourne has no mid week taxi service if you plan to travel to eat

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have stayed at the Angel several times. In the past the service was poor, rooms ageing, cost pricey and coffee in the morning frankly abysmal. Clearly though they are raising their game. The rooms seemed better, although still a bit dated, and the corridors were freshly painted and the service was good with even the coffee in the morning improved! This means the hotel seems much better value and the location is still perfect for those wanting to stay right in the centre of the picturesque town of Bourne.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends