“Good holiday”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cleethorpes
Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good holiday”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My Husband, 3 year old, 4 month old and I stayed here for a week on 8th September. When we booked the holiday we asked for a caravan close to the entertainment complex and we couldn't have been given one closer. This was a big bonus as other people have commented the park is huge and we wouldn't have liked one at the edge of the park. There was however, a little train that ran during the day around the park picking people up and dropping them off at the entertainment complex .We stayed in a prestige van and it was very nice, clean and in good condition.
We had typical British weather on our holiday but the park provided enough entertainment to keep our little toddler busy. The pool was kept clean and they had a small soft play area beside the pool in the bar area that our child enjoyed. Everything was reasonably priced including the drinks at the bar and food, typical pub prices. I can see it getting expensive though if you have older children as you have to pay for some of the activities.
Our toddler loved the evening entertainment. The staff worked very hard to keep everyone entertained, our only complaint was that it was extremely loud.
We had a couple of nice days and we walked into Cleethorpes, not much there but nice for an afternoon out. There is a theme park next to the camp site which is only open at weekends during sep-nov. If you look online there are normally discount entry vouchers. The theme park was very good, with rides for children and white knuckle rides, bird and sea-lion shows and as it was out of season there were no queues for the rides, very good value for money.We didn't visit them but Cleethorpes also has a light railway, boating lake and an indoor soft play centre.
All staff at Haven were very friendly and helpful.
All in all nice uk break.

2 Thank louise s
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hi

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing Thorpe park for you break,
I am happy to hear that you all had a great time and found lots to do. I am pleased to hear that all the staff were helpful and friendly.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Julie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Haven site was huge, we were sited right at the end of the park which was around 1/2 hour walk to entertainment area which on an evening was a pain. Site itself has everything you expect of Haven, but unfortunately due to the size of the site the swimming pool/entertainment room are just far too small and cramped. Outdoor area of pub needs a really good clean, lots of sticky patches on tables and chairs and decking is really grotty.
We stayed in a beach styled caravan which to be honest was a waste of money - others in same party as us went for Prestige and their caravans were much bigger and just as nice if not better - ours was quite small and needed some TLC.
Cleethorpes itself is quite basic, its a nice walk down from Haven site past boating lake to pier but I wouldn't recommend going any further, grotty amusements and everything smells of grease.
All in all we did have a good weekend here (party of 25 ranging from 2-60yrs) but I wouldn't be hurrying to go back, been to much nicer Haven sites for far more reasonable prices.

Room Tip: If you've got young children/eldery in your party ask to be sited near complex otherwise be prep...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Allfunfam
Hi

Thank you for choosing thorpe park for your break. I am happy to hear that you all had a good time.
I have spoken to the complex team with regards to the cleaning of the outside eating areas to ensure no re occurances.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Haven in the near future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed here the weekend of the 13th September for 3 nights with my husband and 3 year old son, We did have a fantastic weekend away as we got the time free to spend as a family however the site leaves a lot to be desired and left me with little doubt that I wouldn't have a Haven holiday again!

In general the play equipment is very shabby and tired, the adventure golf had chipped and brittle fibreglass obstacles and was tatty, the general feel of the outside areas were that maintenance had ceased for the winter. The show bar was grotty and my feet stuck to the floors, tables were very rarely cleared and it was so LOUD!!! In general guests let their children run riot and there was no form of checking that play was safe on the toddler soft play area, which despite the 'rules' stating no children over a certain height were allowed I would say that over 50% of the children were too big to be using the equipment meaning that the little ones were not safe to climb and roll and these older children blustered through regardless of them.

'Bombing' and general rowdy horseplay in the pool was overlooked by the very bored looking lifeguard team and I was fed up of being over-splashed and unattended kids ramming into me and my son. (I do appreciate its classed as a fun pool). The changing room was really filthy and in one cubicle foundation had been smeared over the walls and I saw this there on all 3 days of my stay. The pool showers were freezing, on Sunday a sign was put up saying there was a boiler fault, why not pay up and get an engineer to sort out the problem? (The pool was chilly too, not sure if this was related).

I must say the toilet facilites by the cafe bar and show bar in comparison were spotless and the hand sanitiser is a great idea.

There was a foul stench coming from the bin bays by the entrance to the complex and the storage compounds around the back by the carpark were dreadful. What an embarassment these should be to the facilites team!

Make sure you have very deep pockets, you won't be having a cheap and cheerful family break!

Do not get fish and chips from the 'traditional' outlet, they have to be the worst I have ever had! The big breakfast is great in terms of the amount of food you get but it was clap cold and generally reheated, rubbery eggs and how on earth do you make black pudding rubbery! We though this option would be good as it included a bottomless cup of coffee so we could relax whilst our son played, fine if you like Nescafe Instant from a jar! We ordered sausages with new potatoes and peas for my son on Sunday night, the serving was large but the quality was not so good as it consisted of deep fried reused sausages, microwave reheated new potatoes and gravy reheated from the carvery complete with lumps and skin (potential food poisoning in a jug!!)

The funstars tried their hardest to look like they were enjoying the childrens entertainment but it was obviously repetative and dull. Dont expect them to to notice shy little ones trying desperately to be brave and enjoy the shows, they were only really bothered with the boisterous outgoing ones.

We had been upgraded apparently to deluxe plus! I dread to think what condition the standard caravans were! In general I cant fault the cleaning of the cabin but it was so jaded with a falling down curtain rail, dingy soft furnishing, plastic mattresses, dirty bathroom walls and the tiniest tv which didnt even receive BBC1 so no chance for many others! The blow heaters in the bedroom were ineffective so it was a chilly nights sleep and with a thin duvet which was only suitable for the height of summer. The strangest this was the table being laid out with four sets of crockery and cutlery which had to be moved so we could put our belongings on the table.

I hated that wherever you go on the park (including the living area in the caravan) you are bombarded with signage about buying your own caravan and all the great benefits you can recieve as an owner! Certainly you can be made to feel inferior as a mere holiday goer! The caravan that looked like it was owned by a family of rednecks next to us did nothing to encourage us to buy our own! What an eyesore they should be ashamed!

The beach was fantastic with easy access and we had a great afternoon exploring the rock pools, I just feel this holiday park has lost its way somewhere and relies too much on people knowing the name 'HAVEN' and thinking it must be good.

We shall be looking elsewhere next year, sadly as on paper this site had everything we could need for a family shortbreak.

I hate to be leaving such a negative review and I really hope that the comments added by the guest relations manager on other reviews staying that all feedback will be considered by the management team ensure that problems are addressed and improvements made for future guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you take an additional blanket to keep warm. A torch is handy for getting around the site...
3 Thank HappyFi
Hi

Thank you for sharing your views .I have passed on your comments to each department for review. Disappointing to hear you will not be returning to us. I hope you will try one of our other parks where I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Firstly, this is a big park and for me, it hasn't been set out right. The main complex for the majority of people is quite a walk away. It was a 10/15 min walk for us and there was another third of the park even further away than we were. I'm sure Mr Guest relations will say you can make requests but I just hadn't appreciated the distances. I have stayed at many Haven parks and never had this problem before.

The main complex is very good and the pool and water park impressive. Sadly, there was a fault with the shower in the pool area which meant that they were cold, as was the pool (may have been linked). Also seems to be a constant battle to keep changing room floors clean.

Entertainment very average - most for young children and toooooooo looooouuuuuud!!!!!!! No chance of chatting in the club area - why? No need for it to be as loud as it is. Also, for the young Entertainers, this should be an opportunity to hone their entertaining skills to follow in the footsteps of so many others, so why only 4 in the show? Seems very limiting.

Caravan - very average, mostly clean (except the mouldy burger in packet which was missed). No outside area and this was meant to be deluxe.

Overall ok, if you get the right caravan and weather then it may be fantastic. Miss those two (bear in mind the walk to the facilities) then not so good.

Room Tip: Request as near to facilities as possible!
2 Thank worzel2066
Hi

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the layout of the park. We are a very large park and I must agree it is a good idea to put a request in to be close to the complex . I have passed on your comments regarding the pool and showers for review.

we hope to see you again in the near future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

GOOD POINTS- My grandchildren (aged 7&9) loved the waterwalkerz, bungee jump, turbopaddlers and the lifeguard wipeout. We bought 12 activity passes when we booked which represents a good saving. Each activity works out at £4.50 a time. The staff were efficiant and friendly, especially the ones on the waterwalkerz and bungee. The 5 item breakfast in the cafeteria represents good value at £2.95 and the big breakfast at £6.95 is also good value with unlimited tea and coffee.
BAD POINTS- Booked a Retreat caravan but was informed 3 days b4 the holiday it was not available and was switched to a Prestige , which meant we didn't have a balcony. The pool changing room floor was dirty and their was only 6 showers to use in the pool area, none of which had shampoo in the dispensers at any time. All around the park was littered with cigarette ends, which is more the fault of the ignorant clientele. Have stayed at Thorpe Park b4 and I think the standards are slipping.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Harry L
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Hi

Thank you for sharing your views with us. I am happy to hear that your grandchildren had fun on the activities. I have passed on your comments regarding the pool changing rooms and also asked the park wardens to be more vigilant around the park.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

cheshire
Reviewed 11 September 2013

we have just arrived back from Thorpe park today (wed 11th sept 2013) but shouldn't of left till Saturday. we was selected for a dream holiday for children with cf and was excited to be going as we have been to perran sands before with dream holidays and greenacres in a friends caravan which was both fab. on arrival seemed nice was friendly and quick at reception to pick up our caravan keys for our prestige caravan..... what can I say ..caravan was not like any other prestige caravan I've stayed in so went back to reception and asked wether this was a prestige caravan and was given another set of keys to go and take a look at but needless to say this wasn't any better but kept this one as I had my elderly parents with me and was a little better for them to walk, this one was situated at the back of the park in 40 Hawthorne court past a lot of run down caravans which I have to say I have never seen anything like it before in my life. the caravan seemed clean on first inspection but the sofa was dirty and could of done with a bit of a clean as so could the rug on the floor, we moved the poof only to find a few weeks worth of food and fluff under it, the rest of the caravan was ok but would not say it was prestige compared with previous ones we have stayed in. To get to the entertainment complex was about 10-15 mins walk but with 3 out of 5 of us being disabled wasn't good, I don't know if it is just me in thinking that if they are aware they are accommodating a disabled person then they could give you a caravan a little closer :/. The entertainment was poor at night and aimed at the younger kids all of the time with nothing for the 15 year old to do except for spending tons in the arcade. when we sat in the bar instead that shut at 10 and got kicked out so it was either go to the entertainment bar or back to the van needless to say we chose van. the drinks are overpriced as are the activity's. after 4 days of this we decided that the best thing for my son would be to leave and go home as he was so bored, if anyone was to ask if I would go to this site again then that would be a definite NO ......... THIS WAS NOT A DREAM HOLIDAY FOR MY SON :(

Room Tip: don't look at the pictures on the internet for a prestige caravan that it will look like it does...
3 Thank kevnshell
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Hi

Thank you for your feed back. I was sorry to hear of your disappointment. Requests can be added to any booking prior to there arrival.
I would urge to to request a caravan close to the complex and one that meets your familys needs on any future bookings.

Thank you once again we hope to see you again.

norfolk
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed for a 4 day break 2nd sept.
Can not fault it in anyway, very clean and our prestige accommodation was so clean and comfortable .its a large site and having visited most Haven parks this is the best.
A special thank you to Lucy in reception who was so helpful with our request to be near the entertainment and fishing lakes. Her customer service skills are superb
Thank you Lucy for making our holiday perfect

Room Tip: Go prestige . We always do this and never had any problems
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nccsteph
Hi

Thank you for your fantastic feed back.
I am happy to hear that you had a great time and the caravan was just what you wanted,

I have passed on your kind words to Lucy., Who sends her best wishes.

we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again.

Julie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
#3 of 8 in Cleethorpes

Been to Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!