“Great Half Term Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cleethorpes
Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Hull
“Great Half Term Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Arriving at the caravan park clear signage directed us to the Reception Office, in reception we received a friendly and efficient service and were on our way to our caravan in a matter of minutes.

The caravan was located some distance from the reception area which allowed us, during our drive to it, to observe how well maintained the site was. Throughout our stay we witnessed the roads and general park areas being cleaned on a daily basis.

The caravan was excellent – very modern and clean with all the utensils you could possibly need during your stay. In addition to the gas fire in the living room every bedroom and the bathroom had an electric heater fitted. A plus factor was having an additional toilet to the one located in the bathroom which is great when you have kids all wanting to use the toilet at the same time. The large flat screen TV located in the living room enabled us to catch-up with a bit of TV during the down time.

The caravan park had a variety of facilities and programme of activities running throughout the day to cater for most age groups. The swimming pool was designed to provide a safe environment for swimmers and non-swimmers and was monitored by lifeguards strategically located around the pool area. My only concern with this facility was the lack of showers to the ratio of users, I would envisage this to be a problem at peak season when higher demands are placed on the pool area. Apart from this one concern the pool area was well maintained, spotless and well supervised.

The Show Bar provided entertainment to meet the needs of the various age groups being family orientated in its content. We visited this bar on every night of our stay and whilst we managed to get a table after some searching I can imagine that this could be a real problem during the peak season given the size of the caravan park and the demand placed on this facility. There was a Café Bar in addition to the Show Bar but an additional alternative to both of these offering entertainment would be a plus and relieve the pressure on the Show Bar.

The location of our caravan to the Show Bar meant that we was faced with no alternative but to face a long walk back on a night. Perhaps some consideration could be given to providing the shuttle train/bus that runs during the day to be available at certain times during the evening.

Without exception every member of staff we came into contact we found extremely friendly, polite and eager to assist you in any way. The site was maintained to an excellent standard and there was something for every age group in terms of facilities and activities.

Room Tip: Try and get a caravan near to the Show Bar if you will be using this facility on a night time
3 Thank HullG_mac
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hi

Thank you for your feed back.

I am happy to hear that you all had a great time . Its great to hear that all the staff were friendly and helpful, and the entertainment and activities catered for all ages.

I am pleased to hear that your caravan was excellent and of a high standard. I have passed on your kind words to each department.

We look forward to seeing you again for future breaks.

Julie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here half term week in october.

The holiday was booked through sun holidays and we upgraded to luxury plus. Why we paid extra i will never know. The caravan was freezing and with small children was not ideal. The caravan was damp due to condensation due to how cold it was. Hence why we have returned and are all ill.

I have been to a fair few haven sites and this is by far the worst one! The entertainment was atrocious, the shop was barely stocked, no staff in the arcade, the outside attractions were never open. The excuse that its end of season is not good enough. I expect to experience the same holiday no matter what time of year it is!

Lets just say it was our worst holiday ever!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Hi

i was sorry to hear that you found your caravan to be cold. I would highly recomend a prestige with double glazing and central heating at this time of year.

Please feel free to call us direct on any future booking and we will be happy to supervise your booking to ensure you choose the right one for you..

Thank you for your feed back, We hope to see you again for your future breaks.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We are a family of 4 with 2 young children, 7 and 7 months. We stayed here Monday to Friday during half term in Oct 2013. There were quite a few things wrong and niggly that really put us off.
When I booked, I didn't realise that I had been charged for my 7 month old for his Entertainment Pass, even though they say they do not charge for under 5's. I queried this when we arrived and was told it was non-refundable. Very disappointed that they could not even give us something to compensate. We were told we could check in and get into our caravan at 11am, so we took the 3 hour journey to get there and got there at 11:20am, got our keys but were told we could not get in as it was not ready, even though when they called me to say I could get in early hence why we left earlier and my 7 month old needed feeding so we had to go to into the complex to feed him and wait around until 230pm! ridiculous!

We paid for an upgrade to prestige but when we got there we were only give a delux plus, again this was not told to us and again so disappointing! The TV we had in the caravan was smaller than my PC monitor! it was about 16" and every time you moved, it skipped and went off, so trying to entertain a 7 year old in times when we were in caravan without the TV was very very hard. Nothing was done for this.

The caravan itself was very nice and spacious with an en-suite which was a nice surprise and located in Meadowfield which was nice but not close enough to the complex as we had requested due to our 7 month old. The bed, however, was hideous with a plastic matress (not a cover the actually mattress was plastic!) which meant that sleeping on it was like being 5 years old again, we struggled to sleep well at all which was a real shame.

The restaurant was very very good and the food was brilliant as was the service, as was Cook's fish and chips. The activities outside were poorly serviced and hardly anyone about to help, same as in the arcades; hardly any staff about. The showroom was large and spacious and always busy and drinks and food very reasonably priced.

The Spar only opens at 8am which is an annoyance and the staff are miserable as sin! It was hardly stocked with anything and the shelves were empty most of the time.

The swimming pool was really nice and big and well looked after.

On the final day, we were up and ready to go and packed and handed in the keys to go and have breakfast in the café. This was at 8am. We went round and it was closed. Now, what family with small kids, have breakfast after 9am when it was to open? it was utterly ridiculous and a huge inconvenience as we had a 3 hour drive home, so had to stop at Tesco for breakfast, which as it happened, was cheaper than the café anyway but still it was annoying and when I went to ask and complain, I was greeted with such contempt that I could not be assed to have an argument. The guy on the desk was so rude and looked as though he wanted to be somewhere else.

The pro's for Thorpe Park are: its close to Pleasure Island (overpriced and small but if you get vouchers from online and get in for £10 each, its a bargain), you can travel out to Grimsby for shopping, Cleethorpes is like God's waiting room, and there is a supermarket within 2 miles which is nice.
Con's: All of the above.

If I had the choice, I would go to Golden Sands in Mablethorpe as it is bigger, better and has more for the kids to do as well as having a beach instead of sand leading to the River Humber Estuary.

All in all a nice break-away, but the little things really put a dampener on it, even those these could have been sorted if anyone had actually cared, Half-Term or not.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade in cold seasons as they come with heaters in the rooms which really make the diff...
3 Thank Richard S
Hi

Thank you for your feed back, all comments have been passed to Management for review.
We want our guests to have a fun filled break , We hope to see you again in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed at this park Monday-Friday,fantastic caravan great location in Palm Springs shame about the entertainment complex
Entertainment was very poor
They practically ran out of everything all I heard from staff all week was well its end of season we haven't got this or that,everything was bare, all shops vending machines empty, papa johns said sorry you can't have extra pineapple on your pizza we've got to make it last a few more days.
Activities outside,climbing wall,go-karts,adventure golf,water walkers were all being supervised by one person so you couldn't just go to the hut and pay for what you wanted to do was told 45min wait.
Swimming pool was a decent size, no heater water was freezing.service in cafe bar was horrendous,waited 1hr 15min for sausage sandwich and 2 5item breakfast was told 5 min then asked again was told yours is next which it wasn't ended up asking for a refund and walked out.
This holiday park shouldn't have this attitude just because it's end of season we have paid for a holiday will never go end of season again

Room Tip: Palm Springs lovely location great caravan
1 Thank Shell227
Hi

I am sorry to hear that you wont be returning to Thorpe park. I have spoken to the managers to make sure that all staff change there way of thinking , we dont want to hear its the end of season, we want all guests to enjoy there breaks right till the end.

I hope you change your mind I am sure we can restore your faith in Thorpe park.

Julie.
Kelso, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed October 2013. We have stayed at a number of holiday parks, centre parks etc. and the one thing that struck me was how good, as well as friendly, all the staff were. I normally wouldn't pay much attention to staff in a hotel or on a holiday (unless they were particularly poor) but this was really noticeable to myself and my wife. The two guys (Neil and Ricky) who took the activities when we were there are definitely worth mentioning by name. They were superb with the kids (ours are 3 & 8) in different activities and honestly were a breath of fresh air. I hope if they move up the ladder they stick together as they were also a great double act!

The park is great with plenty for the kids and for the adults. The accommodation was also great and spotless on arrival. Parts of the park were a little worn and a little dated but that's no criticism, I guess each park gets updated now and then. If that wasn't the case it would've been a 5 rating from us. We have actually stayed in another '5 star' Haven park this year and I have to say in comparison to all staff at Thorpe Park it was not 5 star service. Thorpe definitely has 5 star service.

1 Thank Chris G
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hi

Thank you for your feed back. I am happy to hear that you had a great time here at Thorpe Park.
I am pleased to hear Ricky and Neil where outstanding and made your children happy.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your family break.

regards

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just returned from a four night break in a summer house. 2 Adults and 2 toddlers. Tremendous holiday despite the British weather playing up on occasion.
Gorgeous caravan with lots of space and everything you need. Huge dining area and kitchen and the bedrooms are a good size too. I understand this spec of caravan is new to this resort so was in immaculate condition.
The park was very clean and tidy despite being near to the end of the season. The reception staff were very helpful and we were allowed into our accommodation early.
The pool and restaurant area was immaculately clean and staff very helpful. Food in the restaurant area was excellent and hot. Service was good.
Amusements and show bar were fantastic, even though quite quiet at this time of year. The Seaside squad still put on a good show. The entertainment for adults was the traditional holiday park singers and magicians, ok but could be better.

Food outlets - Burger King, does exactly what it says on the tin. The fish and chip shop - avoid, awful!! Pizza outlet based in the showbar was fab and they deliver to your caravan!!
All round the site and the people was fantastic and Cleethorpes itself had lovely beaches and was a lovely town. We are returning in May when more things are open.
Would highly recommend this to any families looking for a break. 100%!

Room Tip: Choose a summer house caravan...they are light and airy and also immaculate as only very new to the...
Hi

I would like to say a big thank you for your feed back. I am happy to hear that you had a fantastic time. I have passed on your kind words to all departments.
Thank you for sharing your photo s .

We look forward to seeing you again in May.

northants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at Thorpe park.The Reception staff were very welcoming.We found our caravan to be very clean & it was all set out with the Table set for dinner.We had a ensuite Bedroom which was very roomy & plenty of space to hang clothes etc.We also had heating in the Bedrooms & in the Toilet where the shower was which was a lovely surprise because the caravan i booked didnt have heating in so this was very welcoming as the weather wasent very kind to us.The park itself was very clean & full of wildlife we saw squirrels,Geese,& one Evening a fox even crossed the path infront of us.It was quite a walk from the caravan to the Entertaiment Complex.The Food in the Complex is abit expensive although we did have fish & chips from the chip shop in there & they were very nice & all cooked fresh to order.The Entertainment was the usual kiddies disco & kiddie games untill the Adult entertainment come on at 9pm we only saw one evening of it the comedian who was on wasent to my liking as id seen alot of his material done by others so wasent to impressed.We did go to the beach one afternoon which can be found through walking through some little chalets.We also went along the pathway towards cleethorpes which on a sunny day is very pleasent to do.Pleasure Island Theme park is next Thorpe park but unfortuatly it was closed.I did think the park could be lit up abit more at nights we lost our bearings one night & couldnt read the signpost as it wasent lit up enough & as there is a few water areas these were also werent very well lit up & anyone who had small children running on ahead could easily have fallen in not being aware there was water there.That is my only main Gripe about the park.We found a lovely pub over the road from the park called The Trawlerman it does a midweek carvery for £3.99 very good value & very good meal well worth going in for a cheap meal.I would go back to the park again maybe in the summer season when cleethorpes is abit more lively but had a lovely Break all the same.

1 Thank aliceNorthants
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Hi

Thank you for your feed back, I am happy to hear that you and your family had a lovely time hear at Thorpe Park. I am also pleased to hear that you tried the trawler man, I must agree with you the food is fantasic and good value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer for another fun filled holiday.

Julie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
Premier Inn Cleethorpes Hotel
The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
#3 of 9 in Cleethorpes

Been to Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!