“Lovely Break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cleethorpes
Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First visit toThorpe Park. Was pleasantly surpised at caravan,( as usually stay in luxury caravans), stayed in a standard plus,as took our dog. Caravan was clean and no smell of other dogs been in there. Lounge area was big enough to accomadate our dogs cage. took this, so our dog was safe when we went out. Caravan was not luxury, but expected this. Was comfortable and spacious. Thorpe Park itself, is a lovely well set out park. Leisure complex is well set out, ensuring only one way to get in and out. Safety for children. Swimming pool is excellant, very well supervised by lifeguards. changing rooms appeared clean, always saw a member of staff cleaning them. Area outside, lazy river & slides, great fun for older children.Staff at swimming pool are very helpful, very good with children on activities. Children's activities are good, have to pay extra, but well worth it. Stayed from Mon to Mon in June. Park was quite in the week, weekend was alot busier with children. Park had a free train that runs around the park, nice to chill for a while. Visited Pleasure Island, got 3 for 2 on tickets, ( as staying at Thorpe Park), worked out at £12 a ticket. Had a great day, no queues for rides. Would defentiatly stay at Thorpe Park again, Staff are very pleasant, polite, very helpful. Even when appear to be undermanned.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Clarkylou
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Clarkylou
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear you have had a lovely holiday with us and that your caravan was comfortable and spacious to accommodate your dog cage. I am pleased you were found our facilities to be excellent especially the safety in our complex, which is what we strive to achieve. I am thrilled to hear the team in the swimming pool were very helpful and great with the children on activities and that the team on site were very pleasant and polite. We have many offers and discounts for Pleasure Island which I am glad you managed to get, well worth it. I hope we will be seeing you again soon

There are newer reviews for Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven

Reviewed 8 July 2014

First visit to a Haven Park. We stayed in a Prestige caravan and paid a small supplement for a new 2014 model and I really think getting a new model made a huge difference because although the caravan still had that lovely new wood smell and the living area and bedrooms looked immaculate, the bathrooms already showed signs of lax cleaning and I'd imagine after a couple of seasons of use this caravan won't be looking so swish. Caravan was really well designed and comfortable with ample storage for a family of 4 to completely unpack, including stowing empty suitcases in a wardrobe, and still have empty cupboards. Kitchen was well laid out and easy to cook in and lounge area was very comfortable. A full size fridge freezer and a second toilet were unexpected bonuses. We were in a quiet part of the site but still only 10 mins walk from the main complex but, although we couldn't see it because of trees, we were close to the access road and there was quite a lot of noise from the road late into the night while almost no noise at any time from other caravans. Entertainment complex wasn't our cup of tea at all so we didn't really use it but the main restaurant was far better than we expected and no more expensive than eating out anywhere else. Pizza restaurant do delivery to your caravan and food from there is excellent. Activities are over priced as with anywhere but we'd pre-bought passes; they book up very quickly and as we were there before the English school holidays definitely felt a bit understaffed but staff that were there were great with the kids. Some of the pool activities are a bit underwhelming and you have to be very brave even on a hot day to take advantage of the outdoor flumes. Pools were clean and well maintained but changing room floors were awful; that said, I saw staff regularly cleaning them so I guess it's just the volume of people. Beach is massive, sandy, shallow and gorgeous. Pleasure Island Theme Park is easy walking distance and great day out for kids of all ages - they take Tesco Reward vouchers as well - although it is only open on certain days outwith high season. 24 hour Tesco only 5 mins or so drive away. Be aware that some parts of the park are too far from the main complex for the elderly, small children or people with mobility issues to walk and the road train doesn't run every day. Overall we had a really enjoyable time and even though our kids weren't into the kids club or early evening entertainment, there were still plenty of facilities we could make use of and we just avoided the stuff we didn't like (the amusements arcade!!). We're looking at trying another Haven Park now off the back of this and certainly wouldn't consider booking less than a Prestige caravan because the comfort of the caravan made a real difference. We also wouldn't book in high season as wouldn't have liked the Park to be any busier and would have found pool session times a real pain.

Room Tip: Caravan we stayed in was at 20 Cedar Brook - apart from some road noise the caravan was ideal
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank AABEdinburgh
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear AABEdinburgh

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you chose us as your first Haven holiday park; the prestige is a lovely caravan and I am pleased you were happy with it and were very comfortable. I am pleased you were in a quiet location and delighted with your 2014 model however, I am sorry for the noise you experienced from the main road. Papa John’s is great to have on site when they do deliveries straight to your caravan and their pizzas are delicious. It’s fantastic to hear you found the team on site to be great with the kids. The sports and leisure team work hard to keep the changing rooms clean and do half an hour cleaning checks. It sounds like you enjoyed the beach right on our doorstop; it is a very large stretch of sand. I am pleased you had a really enjoyable time and I hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I have to admit I was quite skeptical about the whole caravan in Cleethorpes thing, but I absolutely loved it!! We got a great deal and was upgraded to a large beach retreat caravan which was amazing!! Gorgeous white wash look, immaculately clean, bedding provided and the table being set was a nice touch but the best thing was the veranda. We were on a really quiet patch near the golf course so was quite a way back from all the amenities, but that was ok for us as we have a 2yr old. There was a lovely beach just up from us with private access and you wouldn't believe you were in Cleethorpes felt really secluded.

The amenities were fantastic, lovely pool, arcades and entertainment theatre. My son loved the night time kids entertainment and shows and was on at the perfect time (Rory and the gang were a huge hit with the little ones).

Needless to say I would defiantly go back for a mini mid year break!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank AbbyN1603
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear AbbyN1603
Thank you for your review, although you were sceptical I am thrilled to hear you loved it. I am delighted to hear your caravan was immaculately clean and sounds like you were very pleased with it. Though some areas on our park are quite a distance from the complex these areas are lovely, especially if you want a nice quiet area for your young ones. Areas near the golf course have great access to the beach and I am pleased you were impressed.
I am glad you and your children enjoyed our facilities and the entertainment. I look forward to welcome you back again soon for a midyear break.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Me,my husband,my 8 month old daughter "&doggy visited this site in May and we loved it.We couldn't believe the amount of stuff to do,let's put it this way you could never be bored of hungry.Pubs near by were very reasonably priced especially the carvery for less then a fiver!!The walk into Cleethorpes was very pleasant along the seafront,with the sea on 1 side&the boating lake on the other.We noticed a cinema & bowling local to so if the weathers rubbish you've got enough to keep you entertained.We weren't too keen on the local mini zoo they had as some of the animals seemed to be living in their own faeces,gross but obviously that's nothing to do with Haven.We have been to many Haven sites&this is definitely our favourite so far.We will definitely be back when the little ens a big older so she can make the most of all the local activities.Oh & the chippy on site we found the pies gorgeous (better then pukka!!!),Papa Johns was nice too.With having a dog we do have to make sure there's plenty of places to walk him to which there are.Local lakes and fields were great.

Room Tip: Book early for the caravans closer to the complex because we heard someone say he was a 15 minute wa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sunn1eSam

Dear Sunn1eSam
I am thrilled that you all loved it here at Thorpe Park. I’m delighted we had lots to offer you and kept you entertained and full of food. We have plenty of pubs nearby with great food, we are a great base to explore local attractions and it sounds like you got to experience many of these. The boating lake is beautiful and can rent a boat to go out onto the water. I am more than pleased that we are your favourite Haven site, you will have to visit us again and our gorgeous pies.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

On balance, before I moan I would like to say the first time we stayed here we had a great time, hence the return visit.

So we rebooked for August last year for my daughter's birthday and obviously it being peak season, paid a hefty price for the privilege. On arriving at the caravan I have to say it was an absolute disgrace. The dust was so thick you could see it in the air. The cooker was covered in food, grime and hair. The surfaces were filthy, the floors had clothes tags, hair clips, tissues and thick hair in various places. On top of the cupboards were coins so obviously not cleaned, the shelves in the double bedroom had pubic hair on them, the windows were cloudy and the bedding was shockingly stained. I phoned and complained immediately but was there was only one other van left onsite which was a superior van and they weren't willing to let us change. I asked why and the customer service assistant manageress (I think) told me the window needed a repair! I was also told the cleaning staff had left so they could not do anything until the following day.

As we couldn't bare to stay in the caravan in it's current condition, we went straight to Tesco and bought cleaning products ourselves and started to clean, also washing every single pot and item of cutlery. Not what we wanted to be doing on the first day of our pricey break. I left my own house clean, only to start cleaning all over again.

That night everybody was sneezing so the next morning I went straight to see the manager Darren Hiscock. In hand, I took the quilt, a list of problems and some photos. At the time Darren was quite sympathetic, said that the quilts should definitely have been changed and arranged for a different cleaner to come and clean the caravan.

Whilst my husband and children went swimming that morning I again stayed behind to clean with Jan, a cleaning supervisor. She further observed the terrible state of the van but had to remain impartial. I also reported that morning the broken toilet to a maintenance man who said he would arrange a repair but it never materialised. Haven have a policy apparently that if your toilet hasn't been repaired within a certain time frame, they give you £25!! No such luck!

Despite the clean, through the days that followed the whole family started to present with sneezes, coughs, sore throats, painful glands and headaches so the holiday was ruined. I am no habitual complainer or hypochondriac but I genuinely am holding the amount of thick dust in the van, including in the sofas wholly accountable. Darren Hiscock suggested we may all have had an underlying illness, which I did take on board. However on returning home no flu remedies helped. What DID help were antihistamines which suggest to me it must have been a reaction to the shocking dust levels.

Following up my complaint, Darren first agreed that we may come back for a few days, off peak to compensate. Yet on returning home he then changed the offer, saying he would only reimburse me a meager sum due to the poor cleanliness levels. I said I was disappointed with this so he agreed to go back to the original plan of inviting us back, off peak to make up for our poor experience. Darren asked me to choose an appropriate future date and get back to him.

For the best part of 5 months I tried and tried and tried to put forward a suitable date, yet each time I told them my name, I was told Darren was unavailable. I left my number more times than I can remember, being promised he would get back to me, yet not one return call was ever made. Not only did we have a rubbish time, we forked out far too much for a dirty van, we then paid out in cleaning products, spent half our time cleaning and were shunned by a poor excuse for 'Customer Service'!

Avoiding my calls after a resolution was supposed to have been agreed is simply unprofessional. I have left it this long before damning them with a review in the hopes they would have contacted me at some point but its been almost a year now.

Take up a holiday here at your own risk. I had a great holiday at Thorpe Park the first time but then a dire one at peak prices. But worst still if you do have a problem, expect the Customer Service to give you a 'Computer Says No' response. Shameful Darren!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Hannah M D
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Hannah M D

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your previous experience. You are more than welcome to call myself direct and I would be happy to discuss this with you, 01472 813395.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I highly recommend Thorpe park if going off peak as its complex is not the biggest. The show bar was always very busy and seats where scarce so in high season unless you went out very early you wouldn't have a chance of a seat. When getting your drink please check your glasses are clean as we found they where often very dirty and had to be returned to the bar.
Drinks are expensive, but this is nothing out of the norm for Haven.
Food is also expensive and even though we went off peak, found we where waiting a long time for our food. Much cheaper to eat off site. Exit the site and turn left for the trawler man on the right. It does a fab carvery for just £3.99. There's another bar further up on the right which has lager for just £2.10 a pint and the foods great there also.
Havens food is mostly ding food. That's food done in a microwave. Although the bacon and egg sandwich was very nice.
The arcade is also very small so again in high season you might be lucky to get on a machine. Nearly all the fruit machines are 10p play and above. I failed to find any 2p or 5p machines apart from the 2 penny falls which get pretty boring after a while. Oh and watch out for the fruit machines that only pay out in tickets and not cash. It caught me out, but I gave the tickets to someone for there kid as I had no children with me.
The site its self is massive and very clean. Our caravan was a prestige caravan, which was nice but the shower room was very small, and that's not because I'm big, because I'm not. The shower its self was very nice. The problem was the amount of room between the shower screen and the sink. I struggled to get a shave without hitting my backside on the screen every time I bent over to look in the mirror. But other than that, the caravan was great.
We found most of the staff to be very friendly apart from 2 members who succeeded in ruining one part of our holiday, but that's a complaint that is presently being dealt with by Haven. It did put a damper on our holiday, but we won't stop us using Haven again in the future.
On the day we where due to go home we noticed all the cleaning staff congregating outside the caravans waiting fir everyone to vacate so as they could get in and start cleaning. Made me feel a bit like they where saying, here's your hat here's your coat now hurry up and clear off. You have to be out of your caravan by 10am but I think the cleaning staff congregating from around 8.30am is a but much. I don't think they should be around before at least 9.30.
Overall this is a good site but more suited to people who aren't fussed about the size of the complex. If you are intending to go during leak season I would suggest another site like a Golden sands in Mablethorpe, it's much bigger.
I hope my review was helpful, and thanks for reading it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Imanhonestreviewer

Dear Imanhonestreviewer
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found it hard to get a seat in the showbar, the cafebar and showbar together can accomodate everyone on park, and during certain entertainment shows I understand it can get quite busy in the showbar, this is something we are looking at expanding in the near future. I am sorry you were waiting a while for your food I hope the cafebar was not too busy during this time and that the team apologised for the wait. The Trawlerman is a lovely pub with a great value carvery. We are one of the largest Haven parks for plenty of exploring and adventure. I hope you didn’t struggle too much with the amount of room between the shower and sink. The spaces in these caravans aren’t the same as a hotel. I am sorry to hear two members of staff were not as friendly as the rest of the team on park, I find this very saddening but I am pleased this is being dealt with. I have forwarded your concerns regarding the housekeeping team to the accommodation manager and can assure you this is being taken care off as to not happen again. I hope we will welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Thorpe Park was an excellent site and we had a great time. The crazy golf needs some serious attention and is particularly run down. I am surprised that this was not resolved during the close season and really lets down the enclosed play area. Other than that, it really is a lovely park, great dog walking locations and the caravans were excellent (even the standard ones as we had the dog with us).

Cleethorpes was a nice place too (suprisingly as the drive in wasnt very welcoming) and a great day out!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Fifetraveller21
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you found our park an excellent site and I am delighted to hear you had a great time. I am sorry the crazy golf was not fixed during your stay; some of the figures had to be taken to be repaired due to damage that recently occurred. We want to be a dog friendly park and with plenty of walking locations we hope we achieve this. I am sorry to hear your drive in to Cleethorpes was not very welcoming but I hope when your check-in experience was welcoming. I hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Jessica Dale

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
#1 of 10 in Grimsby
No photo provided
Claydens
#3 of 6 in Cleethorpes

Been to Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!