“Avoid like the plague”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cleethorpes
Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for clean, modern facilities then head somewhere else. If however you're in the market for a terrible experience and want a filthy and dilapidated caravan site with facilities that are so run down they look like they belong at Pripyat (Chernobyl), this is the place to come...

Let's start with the caravan... It was supposedly a prestige model that sleeps 8 with a pullout double bed. The double bed was in fact a single and the park couldn't care less that we couldn't sleep the advertised occupancy. The caravan itself was so dirty that the dust caused severe nosebleeds for days afterwards.

The hundreds of cigarette butts littering the our plot were certainly a lovely feature and not at all a let down compared to the beautifully sculpted gardens at other haven sites.

The lack of street lighting or walkways seems to be a feature of this park, with the 'entertainment' complex (which would be inadequate for a park 1/3 this size) over 3/4 mile from some of the caravans, the only entertainment you will have is dodging cars that race past in the dark and the dog muck that litters the verges...

I've never seen an indoor swimming pool so full of green slime and broken sharp tiles, disgusting. We spent less than an hour in here before moving on for the safety of our two year old son.

Be warned if you do visit the amusement arcade on site. The machines have a habit of swallowing £1 coins and not working. With the staff being no more helpful than shrugging their shoulders. Also watch out for the change machines as around 1/5 of what they give out seems to be counterfeit.

All in all this was one of the worst holiday experiences our family has had in recent years. It is the complete opposite of our recent fantastic stay at Hafan Y Mor in Wales.

To the management: do not reply with your typical copy & paste response about how you have passed on our comments. You have already admitted there is a problem with the park in writing. So actually do something about your dilapidated complex!
Your facilities are years out of date, for example - other sites have complex-wide WiFi access. Yours has occasional WiFi in a single building.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mathew M
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Mathew M
Thank you for your review. I’m really sorry for the issues you found with your accommodation. Your holiday home should be prepared to the highest standard before your arrival and our Accommodation Manager has asked that I send you her personal apology for the problems encountered. I trust that you have been in touch with our Customer Care Team about your stay in order that we can have a full report and take any action necessary to prevent this from happening again. I also know that any complaint is followed up in writing. I was saddened to read of your experience with the team in the arcades and do not feel this is acceptable and I wish you had brought this to our attention when you were on site. We do not have WIFI on our park due to the broadband signal in the area, but it is something we are working towards. If you wish to discuss this further you are more than welcome to contact myself, please e-mail me on Jessica.Dale@bourne-leisure.co.uk or call me direct on 01472 813395. I believe the points you have raised need to be investigated into. I am sincerely sorry to read this is not the holiday we want our guests to have.
Jessica Dale

Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The caravan was one of the best Iv ever had .very clean, the park is one if the biggest Iv even been too very clean and well laid out lots to see and do with miles of beaches fish ponds and even a small theme park at the entrance, the outdoor pool and crazy golf is fun as well all the family had a blast the main bar is very busy and extremely hot but lots of seating out side and a very large second bar the mash will be going back next year

Dear Max surf
Thank you for your review. It is fantastic to hear that your accommodation was one of the best you have ever had. Our park is one of the largest; I am pleased you found it well layed out, with all that we have to offer like the beach right on our doorstep and beautiful fishing lakes. With this lovely heat wave we are having at the moment the outdoor slides are great fun and it’s great to hear your family had a blast; I look forward to welcome you back next year. You are more than welcome to call me for a quote on 01472 813395.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We spent a week at Thorpe Park with my partners 5 year old in mid July and we absolutely loved it. Don't get me wrong, you don't book a week on a Haven park in the school holidays if you're after a quiet, relaxing holiday where you don't have to spend money but we went there knowing full well we would have to pay for the extra activities etc.
We stayed in a prestige caravan and paid for a new 2014 model and it was lovely, more than enough space for the 3 of us and when joined by my dad also for a couple of nights the sofa bed was a great addition. 2 toilets - 1 off the main bedroom - was a nice surprise. We were in Waterside which was only a 5 min walk from the main complex but quiet enough to not hear any of the noise late at night, right next to a lovely lake.
The park itself has everything needed to keep kids entertained - although everywhere was busy we didn't have to book sessions for the pool and the food service in the evening in the main bar area was great - good food and fast friendly service despite the number of customers. It was loud, and busy but that is all par for the course at this time of year! The staff on the park were all fantastic - the little one went to the mini pool party on a few nights and the staff made it brilliant fun for the kids. There's plenty of lifeguards inside and out during the day and it does feel very safe. The outdoor slides and lazy river were great. Although not spotless, the changing facilities and pool area were as clean as they could be with that much traffic passing through! We didn't have to wait for cubicles and lockers but I'd heard that sometimes you do. We made use of adventure golf, the water walkers, buggies etc none of which had to be booked in advance.
The beach is fantastic and if you're blessed with as good weather as we were then its a great place to be. Sandy, long, loads of space and accessible straight from the park.
If there was any negatives literally the only thing I could say was that there was a lot of broken machines and games in the arcade and although the staff were always helpful when you could find someone, it seemed they could never put a notice on to say the game was broken so staff were constantly sorting out refunds etc for the same machines every night!
We didn't really make use of the family entertainment in the show bar as it was all a bit late for our little one but it looked like they had a full programme to keep everyone entertained.
All in all a lovely park, fantastic for kids, superb staff - but don't go thinking you can have a cheap holiday when you're there! And prepare yourself for noise, chaos and lots of small children if you go in the holidays! Would definitely return.

2  Thank Ruthy1977

Dear Ruthy1977
Thank you for your great review, I am thrilled you loved it and that your caravan was lovely too. Waterside is a great location with an easy walk to the complex, with many residential ducks and geese roaming the area. I am delighted to hear you received fast friendly service and that the team on park were fantastic, especially when the team in the pool made the pool party brilliant for the kids. We are glad to hear we provide a safe environment; this is what we like to hear we achieve. We have been blessed with some fantastic weather lately with this heat wave and make the easy beach access a bonus to enjoy. I am sorry to hear there were a few machines broken during your stay in the arcades; I have passed on your comments to the arcade manager. Its great to hear you will definitely return and I look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Thorpe Park is by far the best caravan park we as a family have visited. We have an eight and a six year old and they love coming here. We have visited three times and each time need to make a five hour car journey from Scotland. The trip is well worth it. The facilites are very clean and it has everything onsite you require.

We have tried Centre Parcs too which is not that far away from Cleethorpes and can't see what Centre Parcs has this place doesn't match, unless you want to pay £100's more to have your car taken off you and spend your nights with folk talking about homous and cycle lanes ;-). The park itself is very good and we upgraded to a better caravan which I would recomend if staying. The free swimming facilites are great too with an indoor / outdoor chute plus two outdoor flumes. The site is right next to a beautiful beach which is easily accessable and if your lucky will spot jets doing practice flights overhead from time to time which is amazing to see.

Cleethorpes itself is a nice seaside town. Grimsby is close by with all required amenities and whilst not exactly a tourist hotspot, you could not find a friendlier bunch of people than in this part of the world.

There is lots to do close by also: Hull has The Deep a three floor aquarium, there is a theme park and an animal park right next to the caraven site. Whilst not the biggest animal park in the world it does have the coolest Iguana lizard ever who strolls around the park like he owns it and is willing to be petted and have photos taken (worth the entrance fee alone).

If you have a young family and want a very freindly part of the world to relax and have great fun with your kids then come here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Stuart B

Dear Stuart B
Thank you for your lovely review. It is always a pleasure to hear that we are the best caravan park you have visited. You have a long journey to us which I am pleased is worth the long drive. It sounds like you enjoy everything we have to offer on and off site, I am delighted to hear Cleethorpes is home to the friendliest bunch of people. I myself have not seen the Iguana at the Jungle Zoo just down the road from us but from reading your review I feel this is something I must see. I am thrilled to hear you have really enjoyed staying with us and I hope you will visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked the summer house for 1st week of July. My expectations were high due to the pictures and description on their website and of course the price.
Summer House was around 15 mins walk from the centre which wasnt too much of a problem as the weather was dry. There was much better looking accommodation on the site along the way to the complex. The summer house is not suitable for the larger in figure families as the toilet is just about big enough for a child or a very slim adult. The double quilt is too small for the bed, the cups were stained and a dining room chair was broken. We didnt use any of the kitchen facilities ie cooker / micro wave etc so cant comment if they worked or not. I can only hope that they did.
The site is ok but if youre looking for something to do at night other than listen to and watch their terrible entertainment in the club house or spending huge amounts of money in the arcades you will be very disappointed as everything closes before tea time which is a great loss as we went off camp to entertain ourselves.
There are activities for the kids to do during the day but these are not free and are bought through an Activity Pass. The water slides are not open on Mon or Fri as it is change over day and if it rains you have no chance of going on them despite kids wanting to use them. The park is clean and a majoirty of the staff are polite and friendly. There are only 4 eateries which are ok for make do take away food. Drinks are a little on the expensive side.
There are 2 Spar supermarkets on site. One literally 5 mins from our van which I never once saw open and another near the entrance of the park that closed at 8pm
Weve stayed at other Haven parks and this is definetely not their best and somewhere we wouldnt choose to go again. As a family we enjoyed the holiday. The kids loved the break and thats all that matters.
My advice to Haven would be keep your facilities open longer and re-rate your summer house.

Room Tip: Take your own double bedding Dont have any expectations
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sara E

Dear Sara E
Thank you for your review. The summer houses are lovely quaint caravans, the majority of which are located in the Broadlands Drive area, roughly a 15 minute walk. We do recommend that our summerhouses are not considered by families of 4 or more members due to their size. I am sorry to hear about the cups and chair, once we are alerted we can fix these and bring you different cups. I am sorry to read your thoughts on our entertainment, we have a new entertainment manager and always happy to improve and receive feedback. For the health and safety of our guests the outdoor slides won’t be open if the weather is below 15 degrees. I am saddened to read that you would not choose to come stay with us again but I am pleased as a family you enjoyed your holiday and I hope that you would give us another chance and return to us in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed last week family of 4 - last minute decision booked a prestige caravan.
Ill Keep it short and simple. All staff reception, funstars, barstaff , security was excellent all smiling and happy which was great, you dont get this with other haven sites (we usually go to primrose valley). Site is massive we was in lakeside area but opted to drive down to go to the club etc.
Nightshows was fine, beer was ok prices reasonable. Funstars were great only niggle kids blocking small stairs to the stage so my 2 x year old couldnt get passed. We ate out at pizza hut in cleethorpes, The pear tree 5 x mins away aswell as Burger King on site all are really nice. Tescos 5 x mins away which was handy.
My only real issue was the caravan, we always book platinum or prestige. It seem a little dated compared with are other vans we have stayed in. The beds were not great and didn't have mattress protectors which is minging nor the pillow cases. The TV was quite a dated LCD 22inch nothing special. Overall a good stay just not 100 per cent happy with the caravan considering i payed 450.00. Would we return YES if our concerns were looked into.

Room Tip: Opt for a central caravan dont always go for a prestige or platinum van you will be dissapointed
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dentonlee
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear dentonlee

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you chose our park as a last minute decision. I am thrilled to read that the team on park were excellent; I have passed your comments to the head of departments to inform the different teams mentioned. Our park is one of the largest with many caravans on site; I hope you didn’t get lost. The Funstars will protect the kids from blocking the stage or climbing on it and have a way of make it fun for them. The Pear Tree down the road is a lovely place and good quality food; I have to say we have quite a good choice of variety. Mattress protectors are not something we provide but I have passed on your comments about this to the Accomodation Manager. If you do consider returning to us you are more than welcome to contact me via e-mail or phone and I would be happy to look into this and make sure your caravan is to your satisfaction.

Please call me on 01472 813395 or you can e-mail me on Jessica.dale@bourne-leisure.co.uk

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We woke up last Friday and with the weather being good choose to take last min holiday .I phoned said park and asked before I booked could we have a caravan in very quite area said yes .The Friday night and Saturday we were kept awake this 1.30am by loud music from Seymour club phone security they had many complaint but could do nothing .We left on Sunday a day early due to a over tried 4 year old who then slept from lunch time till 7pm .Was never offered another caravan asked for refund on last day told no .I asked to the manager to call back not had one yet .

2  Thank Hewson A
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Hewson A

I am sincerely sorry for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We have never had any issues regarding noise coming from Seymours which close’s just after 12pm and is only open on Fridays and Saturdays. I am surprised the Manager had not called you back by then regarding this. I am pleased that you reported this to security team on the evening; so that they can ask Seymours to keep it down. Though we ask guests to let us know if they have any special requests regarding the location of their caravan however, we cannot guarantee it. I sincerely hope that this does not stop you from returning to us again, as I strongly believe we can restore your faith in the Haven Brand. I can only hope you will give us that opportunity.

Jessica Dale

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
1 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
#4 of 7 in Cleethorpes

Been to Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!