“Very good just needs a little updating”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cleethorpes
Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just spent a week here with my family my children ages 8 & 5 had a great time the site was really good and touring facilities were good although could do with some updating in the bathrooms but clean enough. Nighttime entertainment was superb for all the family but would advise getting to the show bar early as it gets packed out very quickly with all the entertainment on for the younger children. We ate on site 2 times from Pappa Joes Pizza which was lovely though a little more than your usual pizza prices and the chip shop which was well priced and beautiful worth every penny, the pool was a bit of a free for all but that's only to be expected at these sort of places the lazy river and slides were fun although changing facilities were stressful hardly any lockers or changing rooms. The arcade was a firm favourite with my children stock up on your 2p before you go! The play parks were good both on the touring pitch and the sports complex, our 8 year old did a lot of activities which she thoroughly enjoyed but there wasn't a lot for our 5 year old due to age restrictions on a lot of the activities but the couple he did he thoroughly enjoyed. All in all we have had a fab week and would recommend for families of all ages

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Snetters

Thank you for your great review. The funstars will be delighted to read you found the entertainment superb and I am pleased you had a great stay with us. The touring pitches are being updated at the end of the season; I hope we will be welcoming you back to enjoy the new improvements next year for another fab week. You may need to stock up again on 2p’s.

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in penny's caravan in June 2014 , had a fab time and penny was really helpful at all times , inside the caravan there were leaflets of things to do in the surrounding areas local air shows etc. and food menus so we could order in take away , taxi numbers , a small description of cheap supermarkets , restaurants , chippies etc . Beds were made up for our arrival at no extra cost , there was a welcome package of tea coffee sugar milk bread and biscuits , certainly not what you would get with haven and at a quarter of the cost of a haven holiday I would highly recommend a holiday here and to use this caravan , it was heated and spacious but homely , spotlessly clean and well equipped with a high chair and travel cot , arrival and departures were flexible , the only thing haven does is include passes in with the price but I'm sure if people request penny to do this she would sort it

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Emma W
Thorpe H, Guest Relations Manager at Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Emma W

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear of a private hire’s experience on our park. It is so nice to read that Penny was really helpful and sounds like the accommodation was superb. I hope you will come stay with us again in Penny’s lovely caravan.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Hadn't been in a caravan since I was a child so I was not looking forward to it. I was surprised when I arrived how nice the site was. The caravans were spacious clean and had all modern amenities. There were 2 bedrooms 2 showers and a toilet. We even had central heating. There was plenty to do on the site. The girls loved the pools and the extra activities. The entertainment was ok. It is a short walk to pleasure island and a bus runs from the camp to Cleethorpes. Altogether an enjoyable week

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear millbrook1950

I am delighted to read you were pleasantly surprised and happy with your clean accommodation. We are a great base to go off an explore Pleasure Island and everything else Cleethorpes has to offer. I am pleased you enjoyed everything we have to offer and I hope to welcome you back for another enjoyable week.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked this holiday because it appeared to be the only place in the area which offered key facilities to entertain our two teenagers whilst we visited family nearby.

Usually, when booking a caravan park holiday, the adage “you get what you pay for” stands true but in the case of Haven Thorpe Park, this clearly is not the case. We have paid a lot less and had much, much better with other operators. We booked what was described and priced as a premium caravan, The Retreat. Premium cost it might have been, premium quality it certainly was not. It may be that the previous occupants have all treated it badly but since it’s meant to have been new this year, I seriously doubt that this is the case. The general build standard was poor and the subsequent maintenance levels were clearly even worse. Nothing was mission critical but everything together just meant that the whole place felt grubby and various things just didn’t work to a “premium” standard. Examples include: white decking - very nice until it’s not cleaned properly for too long and then just looks shabby and rank; the kitchen tap was loose; the pipes under the kitchen sink leaked (not much but it smelt nasty;) the cooker extractor fan didn’t work properly; bathroom extractor fan was nigh on useless; the shower head was leaky; the toilet was difficult to flush properly; the bathroom window ledge was broken; the bedrooms were tiny; the double mattress wasn’t big enough for the base and was of a very poor quality so both of us have ended up with back problems. I could go on but it would take forever.

The park itself had the capability of being an amazing place to stay but, through what appears to be a combination of growth and neglect, this is clearly not the case. Whilst I appreciate that the weather we had during the first weekend was uncommonly severe, for a holiday park in the North East of the country, I’d have expected it to be better equipped to cope with inclement conditions. They clearly do not have sufficient drainage in place to cope with the rainfall they must regularly get in that area of the country. The main car park by the entertainment complex spent much of the week with a large area under water, causing holidaymakers to park along the road instead, which in turn then caused issues with traffic flow and was dangerous for the pedestrians. The lakes & ponds were all overgrown with weeds and were clearly not being checked regularly for rubbish and if there were fish in the “Fish Feeding” pond, they certainly weren’t evident. The dovecote is broken (meant to be an attraction on the site) The Donkeys (although I’m not an expert) looked exhausted and had no shelter, not even trees, which I fear is possibly a case for the RSPCA?

As is always the case with Haven parks, none of the activity areas / food establishments / entertainment complex / swimming pool etc. were accessible without going through a large arcade. Fortunately we have teenagers who know better than to constantly nag for money we don’t have; but for parents of young children this must be a complete nightmare for them - how exactly do you explain to a five-year-old that you can’t spend a small fortune several times a day because you have to go past these machines with bright colours and flashing lights and toys? On a further note, when you did spend money on the machines, the prizes generally come in the form of tickets which you can collect and claim in one go. This is all very well, except the “shop” for claiming prizes based upon your tickets is only open for very limited periods, none of which are particularly convenient and certainly appear to be timed to discourage people from actually claiming prizes. We ended up giving ours to a random small child since we were unable to use them ourselves. Makes you wonder how many children just go away very disappointed?

Our primary reason for booking this park was the swimming pool which looked particularly good in the pictures (more fool us for believing it, I suppose) Sadly, the reality was that the pool was a fraction of the size it needed to be for the number of holiday-makers at the park. The one time our teens tried to use it, they got out 15 minutes later because it was just too crowded. The attendants actually had to stop people going in because the demand was so great. Add to this that they shut the outside during the rain - surely you’re going to get wet anyway, so shutting it is a redundant measure? Understandably they didn’t bother trying again. The other attraction were the activities (all at an extra cost, of course.) So we paid in advance for a multi-activity pass so the teens could at least occupy themselves to some extent. The one thing they both really wanted to do was the zip wire, so we booked it online in advance to make sure they got to do it, only to then be told on our arrival day that it was broken…. and couldn’t be fixed for a week. In reality it’s still not fixed (nearly two weeks later.) Is it seriously that difficult to find a new tyre suitable for this use, and fit it, in prime holiday season? Maybe I’m expecting too much. To their credit, the other activities we tried - abseiling, target shooting, leap of faith etc. were run professionally, if a little expensive for the amount of time given for each activity.

Overall, if you have limitless cash resources, aren’t too fussy about cleanliness and enjoy permanently crowded areas, then this is the place for you. If you want value for money and a clean place to stay, go elsewhere. We definitely won’t be going back.

5  Thank casualtyofchocolate

Dear casualtyofchocolate

Thank you for your review, I am really sorry that you are disappointed with your recent stay.
I am sorry to hear you were not happy with your Retreat caravan, if a guest is not happy we will move you to alternative accommodation. If you consider booking a caravan again in the future I would recommend the prestige as they are much bigger. For future preference, caravans do not come equipped with extractor fans; it uses a vent system and is not the standard inventory.

Our team on site work hard to maintain the park and I am saddened to read how you feel about our site. We have had an outstanding amount of rain recently due to Hurricane Bertha and encountered much more rain than anticipated.

I am sincerely sorry that the zip wire broke during your stay; I can assure you it is now fixed and back up and running. We are only human and sometimes things do break, but we will do all that we can to fix them as quickly as possible. I wish it was as easy as getting a new tyre, for health and safety it has to be inspected and signed off by an outside company.

With it being Peak season we are much busier, however our complex can accommodate everyone on park. I wonder whether you would prefer a quieter setting. The lazy river and outside slides won’t close due to rain; we keep an eye on the weather throughout the day, every day in case of any weather warnings for thunder storms and will only close if there are any warnings.

Our team are here to help you resolve any concerns you have whilst here on park, I am truly sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. If you wish to discuss your feedback further please feel free to contact me with your name and holiday reference number at Jessica.dale@bourne-leisure.co.uk

I am truly sorry and can only hope that one day we can restore your faith in the Haven brand.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a week at haven with 14 of us. Me, my other half, teenage daughter and son, daughter, partner, son and wife and all 6 grandkids.
Had a great time.
Got upgraded and all 3 caravans were within a hop skip and a jump from each other so all kids could visit all caravans.
Caravans clean and had everything u needed.
Entertainmemt needs some work as do the hire bikes just not enough to go round at peak times.
The railway is a must and reasonably priced too.

1  Thank Jenny S

Dear SunderlandFish

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to read that you all had a great time and was all allocated accommodation close to each other. It’s always worth creating a Travel with on your bookings when booking more than one caravan. Sounds like you had an enjoyable stay and I hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 18 August 2014

on arrival at the park I noticed the reception to be a little dated. Lovely friendly staff though. We stayed in a summer retreat which was really nice. I've stayed a Thorpe park a few times, that last stay was about 8 years ago and was disappointed to see that the site seems to have had no improvements since. The food part was probably the worst, the carpet was coming up, a bucket catching a leak and dirty dishes stacked all over. my partner said the mens toilets were discusting. The baby change/ disabled toilet in the show bar was really bad, it really needs an update plus in all the toilets the soap dispensers were always empty and the taps just dripping water out.
Half the lockers in the swimming pool part were broken and the changing room doors broken etc.
Overall a huge disappointment after forking out 500 quid for just a weekend stay. Haven must be making loads of money but can't do simple upgrades. Papa johns pizza place probably made enough profit in one night to refurb the disabled toilet.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa D

Dear Lisa D

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that upon arrival the team were lovely and friendly, the Retreat caravans are lovely especially with the balcony on the front. I am sorry to read how you feel about areas on our park. We are hoping to refurbish our Cafebar in the near future and would like to assure your feedback regarding the toilets in the Showbar and swimming pool facilities have been passed on to ensure a return to the high standard we usually achieve. I can only hope that you will return to us again in the future where your stay will be most enjoyable.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my husband and 11, 10 and 8 year old. Duluxe caravan 3 bedroom model - nice as expected for almost £400 for a long August weekend. The park is large but we requested that we were not too far from facilities and this request was granted. We went to the pool and it was clean. Kids went outside to outdoor bit, we didn't (it was very cold). We ate at Burger King - as standard. Can't say too much about a Burger King! Nipped into kids nightclub (show bar) but it was very loud, sweaty and far too busy for us to enter. The entrance is busy with people hanging about as there are slot machines etc there so just getting through the door was an ordeal. There was a woman screaming and swearing that she had a pram and to let her through! Literally screaming! No excuse me's or anything. The people had their backs to her so didn't see her. Kids played on park but it's really small for the size of the park. Trampolines cost £5 for about 2 mins. The kids enjoyed playing in football park with older kids. I think they must've had caravans on park as there were quite friendly with each other and encouraged all kids to join in. The climbing wall is very expensive for what it is and not worth the cost (in my opinion). Walked to Trawlerman outside one evening. This was OK but kids meal sizes very small and the do not do chips. I have a child who does not like mash or roast potatoes (only two options with kids meals). It's OK but now I've been once, I won't feel the need to go again.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank rachmc25

Dear rachmc2

Thank you for your review and great pictures of your accommodation, which I am even more pleased that your request was met. I have asked the security team to be more aware in the showbar. I hope you and your children enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Jessica Dale

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ginnie's
Ginnie's
#5 of 7 in Cleethorpes
The St. James Hotel Grimsby

Been to Thorpe Park Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!