“Pregnant lady left on doorstep in the snow with nowhere to stay!”
Review of Amber Guest House

Amber Guest House
Amber Guest House
Ranked #23 of 25 Cleethorpes B&B and Inns
England
“Pregnant lady left on doorstep in the snow with nowhere to stay!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

When we arrived at the Amber Guesthouse after a 3 hour drive we found no-one in. Having phoned the number on the door the lady told us she had cancelled the booking a while ago and we had been emailed. We received no such email, I have even checked junk mail this evening. So this left a pregnant lady standing on a doorstep in the snow after a 3 hour drive with nowhere to stay. Thankfully being a fairly young couple with mobile phones we managed to find somewhere, but if we had been a little old lady without such resources it might have been a more serious situation! If a booking is cancelled the B&B should make sure the customer gets the message!!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank mrandmrsB3
gillian b, Owner at Amber Guest House, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
THE BOOKING was cancelled in January due to an error on the part of the Booking Agent with whom i initially set up my account to advertise on various sites. once the booking has been cancelled on my system it should automatically send an email to the customer advising them that the booking has been cancelled - i also sent an email whether you received it or not i sent it I am not in the habit of leaving any person standing at my doorstep pregnant or not (In the snow) when it wasnt snowing. The guest had booked the room at a reduced rate again which wasnt my fault but the fault of the booking company. The booking company was fully aware that there was a problem with this booking and they in turn should have got in touch with the customer. The room rate for the Family Room with SEA VIEW sleeping 3 ADULTS is 90.00 when you put 2 adults on it should deduct 30.00 - what had actually happened was that at the time of booking the deduction was 60.00 THEREFORE making the booking £30.00 for two adults including breakfast. This was a computer error not the error of myself when I noticed the error i got in touch with the company and i dealt with and the customer and cancelled the booking. It doesnt help the fact that this was an unfortunate mistake and at the same time you booked at the guesthouse there were four other bookings that were wrong in that three other eople had booked at the guesthouse when the guesthouse dates were all booked up - So once again not my fault but the fault of the person with whom I advertise - This problem has been fully rectified now - doesnt make things right that after you travelling 3 hours to get to Cleethorpes being pregnant and tired and having nowhere to sleep - i did however suggest two other guesthouses for you to stay at both of which were either side of my guesthouse so you wouldnt be further inconvenienced and have further to travel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I'd definitely reommend this place for an overnight stay. We were greeted by a few other guests and the Gill the owner and made to feel really welcome. Gill is great, really nice and cant do enough for you. She had even bumped us up to a bigger room with a sea view free of charge. The room was good, breakfast was a decent fry up. Loation is ideal, you're a minute from the seafront and the pubs etc.
I'll definitely be booking here again next time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rob M
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the b&b and would definitly return. The room was very nice and well decorated. The lady host was charming and very good at customer service.
I really enjoyed my stay and the breakfast was wonderful.

Many thanks

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank Jason G
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Lovely clean guest house. Staff and owner very friendly and nice. Not having an en suite wasn't really a problem as the bathroom was next door to our room. Room was very small but we didn't need anything larger as was only staying for one night. At breakfast Gill couldn't do enough for us, I'm veggie there wasn't any veggie food so I opted for beans on toast which was nice. Overall I would go back if not just for the fantastic host.

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank justice29
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I've just spent the weekend in Cleethorpes and Amber Guest House was my choice.

The guest house is ideally located for the sea front and the railway station is just over the road. It also a quiet location.

I am visually impaired and had enquired how close the room was to the bathroom. On discovering my disability on arrival, Gill readied another room for me that was next to the bathroom. You wouldn't probably get that service anywhere else.

The room was fantastic and had everything you would wish for, including a mini fridge.

The breakfast was plentiful and tasty and Gill ensured that I had had enough to eat before I left each morning.

If you require a room that is extremely close to the sea front, shops and station with excellent hospitality, then Amber Guest House should be one of your choices.

• Stayed July 2011