“Didn't get the agreed rooms”
Review of Amber Guest House

Amber Guest House
Amber Guest House
Ranked #21 of 25 Cleethorpes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2013

10 middle aged guys on a railway trip around East Anglia.We booked by telephone for a one night stay and agreed a price which was a mixture of single,twin and one triple room.We were told that the accomodation would be in 2 guest houses which were next door to each other.When we arrived there was only 1 twin room in Amber guest house,a room in the guest house next door for 4( !!!) people and another room in a 3rd guest house,a couple of streets away, for a further 4!!!.The twin was small but fine,the 4 person rooms were double rooms with 4 beds crammed in-talk about cosy!It's not appealing sleeping next to your mate being only a few inches away-our wives would get jealous!Access to 2 of the beds was by climbing over the other 2-not good in the middle of the night with other blokes in their beds.There was no room for suitcases or clothes storage.Gill, the landlady, was trying to be friendly and humorous but her brashness offended one of us by saying that he had a face like a slapped ar*e-not really a good advert for customer service.Lots of minor things wrong with rooms in the 4 bed rooms-leaking taps,doors not able to shut,uncomfortable beds etc.Would not recommend because the booking "contract" was not kept.Thankfully we laughed about it amongst ourselves rather than get uptight.Try somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank MFC25
gillian b, Manager at Amber Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Thank you for your lovely review, your comments are not all true, when you arrived you knew that you would be in two guesthouses, as i had previously told you, i also didnt charge you the full price as i thought this would make up for the inconvenience to you and the men. With regards to the other hotel i think that it is unfair to review that hotel along with mine as there was nothing wrong with my guesthouse. As for your remark that I supposedily made to one of your guests I refute that i did say that he was miserable but that was in the context of the conversation that we were having. People make their own judgements and a contract is binding however i did find you alternative accommodation which you agreed to before you arrived.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

On arrival at the Amber Guest House at the confirmed time with Landlady, who welcomed us like family we were showed to our room, we had booked the family room with sea view. My husband and I were wanting a short break away as we are due to have our first baby in may and fancied a trip to a seaside location. The room was spacious, comfy, cosy and immaculate and had a stunning view. No request was too much for landlady. Due to being a typical annoying pregnant woman I did not feel up to a full breakfast and opted for a tasty bacon sandwich , my husband on the other hand was treated to a full succulent english breakfast , which as he remarked better than i could do on a good day !!!
Would recommend to others and when this child escapes my womb we will be back !

Room Tip: family room loads of space and a great view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ann-marie b
Reviewed 7 March 2013

i had such a pleasant stay at the Amber guest house. the hospitality was spot on, the landlady was one of the nicest people iv met, when i got there, she kindly showed me around and talked me through everything i needed to know, she was such a laugh made me feel so comfortable! my room was spotless and i didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. i didn't have breakfast at the amber guest house but im sure it would have been gorgeous. I will definitely be back and stay for much longer. see you soon Gill.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 6 March 2013

So disapointed with the amber guesthouse! Absolutly diagusting customer service! Deffinatly not staying here again. On arrival we was never told a check in time, as we got near the hotel, the landlady texted and asked where we was as she was out and wouldnt be back until 7... we explained that we didnt realiase there was a check in time and asked nicely if there was anyone else to check us in, to which we then go the phone put down.on us. Eventually she rang back and explained a lady from another b&b would.come and check us in. We then arrived at the b&b at half 3... at 3:45 we was rudely told by her son to turn off the telly as they had other guests...if we was having a.party in our room then id understand this but an episode of come dine with me.on quite is hardly a rave! Further into the night the landlady returned...we nicely asked if we could have the heating on as it was freezing in our room to which her responce was " your not at home now , put.on a blanket or jumper" ... she then asked us how many breakfasts we would be wanting as she didnt want to waste food, again fair enough if we hadnt already paid for it! Texhnically it was our breakfast.to waste if we wished to. Coming to the end of our stay...sunday morning - we got given 4 sausage cobs.to have on our way home...hmm full english and choice.of cereals not an option? Overall pur stay ( for a 21st birthday) was outrageous and i wouldnt recomend this to anyone. We assumed as she had appeared on 4 in a bed this would be a good.place to stay...how assumtions can be very wrong!

• Stayed: March 2013
13  Thank slippers24
gillian b, Manager at Amber Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Very rude young girl - Firstly i ask all guests for an estimated arrival time, as you emma were the only guests in at the time i had made an appointment after the time you said you would be arriving giving me enough time to attend it - i texted you and u said you had just arrived in cleethropes was there anywhere to park i explained the parking and said that i wouldnt be long - i was 5 minutes away - i went to the guesthouse and waited for over an hour - i texted you for you to say you were having a meal and would be a couple of hours, i explained the situation and you very rudely asked if there was anybody else to check you in at the time there wasnt - i had missed my appointment and quite rightly so i wouldnt have been back until 7 - as explained i didnt put the phone down on you the phone its is a new and it keeps cutting off - As for my son he asked you to turn down the tv as a guest had complained that it was too loud - When i went to your room to see you it was nearly 5.p.m. one of the girls did ask if the heating could be put on i said it comes on at 5 and goes off at 10.00 and because your on the sea front you do get the wind i did suggest a jumper as the heating was just coming on - i also siad that i cannt put the heating on all day as it doesnt suit everybody - BREAKFAST - I think you will find that I asked who wanted breakfast one girl was in bed a vegetarian and one sat on the bed with you and another you straight away said I dont want any - the other girls couldnt decide so after ten minutes it was agreed that two breakfasts would be done as the other girl said she wouldnt know how she would feel so that was one vegetarian and one normal all four of you were still undecided so i said to save wastage would you LIKE a bread bun with bacon and sausage on it to which you replied YES thats a brill so that is why you had a bread bun - I would also like to mention that you were infact very noisy coming into the guesthouse as another customer complained that you were noisy - All four of you witnessed an attack outside my guesthouse at 1.30 i was woken by the police as you hadnt left your telephone number the Police asked if i could get hold of you i did to receive a reply Were on a night out cant it wait until tomorrow - I replied no emma the police want to see you now - Your reply was cant they come to us - No - eventually you all came back and you were being very lippy to the policeman and I even had to have a word with you to quiten you down - You had no respect for me my son or my guesthouse and its other occupants - You upset me by your attitude and this review just sums up the type of person you are - Whilst replying to this comment i would like to say that the guest that complained has been here four times and found your attitude and behaviour appauling.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

When we arrived at the Amber Guesthouse after a 3 hour drive we found no-one in. Having phoned the number on the door the lady told us she had cancelled the booking a while ago and we had been emailed. We received no such email, I have even checked junk mail this evening. So this left a pregnant lady standing on a doorstep in the snow after a 3 hour drive with nowhere to stay. Thankfully being a fairly young couple with mobile phones we managed to find somewhere, but if we had been a little old lady without such resources it might have been a more serious situation! If a booking is cancelled the B&B should make sure the customer gets the message!!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
16  Thank mrandmrsB3
gillian b, Owner at Amber Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

THE BOOKING was cancelled in January due to an error on the part of the Booking Agent with whom i initially set up my account to advertise on various sites. once the booking has been cancelled on my system it should automatically send an email to the customer advising them that the booking has been cancelled - i also sent an email whether you received it or not i sent it I am not in the habit of leaving any person standing at my doorstep pregnant or not (In the snow) when it wasnt snowing. The guest had booked the room at a reduced rate again which wasnt my fault but the fault of the booking company. The booking company was fully aware that there was a problem with this booking and they in turn should have got in touch with the customer. The room rate for the Family Room with SEA VIEW sleeping 3 ADULTS is 90.00 when you put 2 adults on it should deduct 30.00 - what had actually happened was that at the time of booking the deduction was 60.00 THEREFORE making the booking £30.00 for two adults including breakfast. This was a computer error not the error of myself when I noticed the error i got in touch with the company and i dealt with and the customer and cancelled the booking. It doesnt help the fact that this was an unfortunate mistake and at the same time you booked at the guesthouse there were four other bookings that were wrong in that three other eople had booked at the guesthouse when the guesthouse dates were all booked up - So once again not my fault but the fault of the person with whom I advertise - This problem has been fully rectified now - doesnt make things right that after you travelling 3 hours to get to Cleethorpes being pregnant and tired and having nowhere to sleep - i did however suggest two other guesthouses for you to stay at both of which were either side of my guesthouse so you wouldnt be further inconvenienced and have further to travel.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I'd definitely reommend this place for an overnight stay. We were greeted by a few other guests and the Gill the owner and made to feel really welcome. Gill is great, really nice and cant do enough for you. She had even bumped us up to a bigger room with a sea view free of charge. The room was good, breakfast was a decent fry up. Loation is ideal, you're a minute from the seafront and the pubs etc.
I'll definitely be booking here again next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob M
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the b&b and would definitly return. The room was very nice and well decorated. The lady host was charming and very good at customer service.
I really enjoyed my stay and the breakfast was wonderful.

Many thanks