“superb day out”

Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Cleethorpes
More attraction details
Owner description: Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway is a fantastic way to see the resort of Cleethorpes. Steam and diesel locomotives on the 15" gauge track take visitors on a two-mile journey along the seafront, stopping at three stations. But the attraction is much more than a railway. It includes a tea room, The Signal Box Inn - reputed to be the world's smallest pub - a gift shop, locomotive sheds and workshops.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We found this little railway brilliant . Signposts could be a bit better . Great ride for half an hour . Loved the town too

2  Thank chris1953jr
in 15 reviews
"an adult"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have been to the railway many times over the years and I have to say since the change in ownership the attraction is run so much better.

The young lad, who I think is called Adam, who used to be a guard now works at one of the stations and I have to say nothing is too much trouble. When I asked for 2 adults and 2 children tickets he informed me that it was cheaper for a family ticket. He also took the time to listen to my kids talk about trains and he helped stimulate their interest.

The fat guy who runs the small pub who I think is called Alan is really nasty I have to say. He spoiled our visit when he was rude to our children. I spoke to a train driver and was told the that the pub is not owned by the railway. However he should be removed as the guy is a nasty peice of work.

Apart from that a fantastic trip. Well done to the new lads who own it and a big thank you to Adam and the staff. The train driver was fab with my kids and would recommend it to anyone. Could be a bit cheaper though and a bit longer!

2  Thank JamesLLee
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I paid £5.50 for adult and child for half a line journey. So could be expensive for a larger family travelling the whole line. I had been on before and knew the whole journey took about 20 minutes. Some things to look around in the station and somewhere to buy refreshments too and a toilet

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Living locally, we have never 'embraced' the railway or considered to visit. However, my grandson is at that age where he is obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine and so we decided that a visit to Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway was in order. We have been coming weekly for the last three weeks when we have our grandson.

Firstly, the 'Kingsway' station, where we always get on, is a delight, the Thomas the Tank Engine merchandise is a nice add on (which we have to hide our Grandson from or there will be nothing left). The lady at the Kingsway station was so helpful and kind; also full of information - offering us the best solutions and journey options, it was a pleasure to see a young lady full of enthusiasm for the job. She was incredibly easy to speak too whilst we waited for the train and so lovely to our grandson.

At £4 an adult and £3.50 for our grandson for a 45 minute journey, I do not see why people complain about the price! (Make sure you have jackets for this train ride! It can get a little on the cold side sometimes as we learnt when the sun went in)

However, we visited again on the weekend (21st-22nd June), only to find that the lady at Kingsway was not there, instead it was a young chap who was nice enough in SOME aspects but was more bothered about what was on his phone rather than paying attention to his customers, and he sometimes came across as rude which was a shame to see. Besides this one small incident at the weekend, I really cannot fault the place at all, it is well maintained and the large MAJORITY of the staff/volunteers there take pride in their job.

** NOTE - the driver who seems to be there every Wednesday, who we got talking too, is a lovely gentleman and was a real steam driver back in the day - an excellent addition!**

It is truly a wonderful experience for all, the Lakeside Station is also lovely - the museum and Harry the station cat are great additions! The railway really is like stepping back in time and we will definitely be back a lot over the season!!!

4  Thank Sharon S