“Not as good as it used to be....”
Review of The Coach House

The Coach House
Ranked #28 of 148 Restaurants in Cleethorpes
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Having lived in Humberston most of my life I have eaten/drunk at the Coach House for over 10 years. We regularly eat in the bar but will no longer use the restaurant.

Unfortunately I have to agree with previous reviewers comments about current staff members. There are two staff in particular who are often rude, abrupt and slightly condescending to customers which I find odd and massively off putting. The restaurant manager is incredibly inflexible and often unwilling (or unable) to meet basic service requests. I mentioned to her that my vegetables were undercooked on a previous visit and she shrugged and walked away!!!!!! You are also unable to pay separately if you eat in a group which means non of the 2-4-1 offers are available to parties over 4.

I find the prices to be a little steep for what is essentially average pub grub. For Sunday lunch and two glasses of wine it cost £40! It was very tasty and the lamb was perfectly cooked but I think we will be visited the carvery down the road from now on.

The desserts are tasty but most are presented under a massive dusting of icing sugar which ruins the effect.
I have noticed the Coach House isn't as busy as it used to be which is a shame because the restaurant has a nice feel and the bar can be buzzing when full!

1  Thank PeanutRevell
Andy-PR-Manager, Public Relations Manager at The Coach House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello,
Firstly, all of our staff members all go through a thorough training programme. If you could please provide names or descriptions of the 2 you are referring to I would appreciate it (email address below)

Secondly, I would like to point out that your comments regarding parties over 4 are simply inaccurate.
***I must state now that the 2-for-1 offer is available to parties of all size***
The fact that we cannot separate bills is clearly stated on the front of every menu, highlighted by a bright red box.

Just to be clear, our freshly prepared Roast Leg Of Lincolnshire Lamb Sunday lunch with all the traditional accompaniments is currently £7.95, and a large glass of our finest wine is £4.65. So in this instance it would cost a maximum of £12.60 per person for a meal that has been freshly prepared for you, which I believe is very reasonable.

If you have anything further that you would like to discuss, please contact me directly

Kind regards
andy@bigjax.co.uk

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This place used to be great. I am talking 2 years ago.

It is split between two sides, the pub is on the right and is as informal as you would want a pub to be. The right hand side is a restaurant where you can go for a sit down meal.

A huge problem for me is I know this place has huge potential and the frustrating part is I want it to be as good as it was. This area is crying out for a good sports bar.

The restaurant has the classic 2-4-1 where the burger cost £16 so we all know your paying double what it should be, yes we really aren't as dumb as you may think haha. Just think about that a moment.... SIXTEEN POUNDS for a burger and chips. No bacon, cheese, onion rings nope a burger and chips. Now that has sunk in I shall move on.

In the pub they have a blonde supervisor who is annoying. A bit blunt there so I shall continue.... The way she speaks to you is frustrating. It isn't personal to the customer as she is consistent with everyone. It just feels your being spoken at as you are an infant and you feel you need to simplify your answers back to avoid long winded chats about silly topics. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

I have to say other than the fact the burger meat is cheaper nowadays (they changed supplier some time ago) the prices are OK and generally the food tastes good.

The restaurant has one problem. No not the overly inflated price to make it 2-4-1. No, the manager. She is also Blonde to be very brief with my description as it's not vital what she looks like. She is horrible. Firstly she talks in a manner that is confrontational. If 7 people sit at your table and only 6 want to eat she asks the 7th person to leave. When challenged "can't I sit here and order 2-3 pints so your still earning money from me" she replied "Sorry you have to leave"

Is that practical? Would anyone expect the 1 person to be on there own for let's say 90 minutes while the others eat?

So that was earlier this year. Today we asked for a coke. She brought a diet coke, we mentioned this in a polite manner, she did not apologise, she did not replace the drink either. If I was you reading this I would not believe my review, I am sorry to say it is every bit true. Feel free to read my other reviews I have never complained about staff in any other restaurant anywhere. If the coachouse believe there management team are good enough than they certainly aren't going to be getting anymore of my money.

Other than the quality of the beef burger dropping these last two years this is not a food complaint in the slightest, your staff represent you. It's 2014, wake up.

4  Thank Bluebriefs
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Good food, some good service which is spoiled by the manager pocketing any tips given to the staff. I will not go back there for that reason alone. It leaves a bad taste, especially when the staff work so hard for the minimum of wages. Just downright mean.

1  Thank ww1guide
Mark W, Manager at The Coach House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

I would however like to explain the tip situation, as I'm afraid you have been misinformed.

We are actually very proud of how we distribute our tips. Unlike most places, where only the server keeps their tips, all tips here are put in to a tronc and held until we reach a target figure. When the tronc reaches this figure, the tips are shared out pro rata with all members of the team. This includes the waiting staff, bar staff, chefs, kitchen porters, cleaners and management. Only the owner doesn't receive any portion of the tips. We view all our staff as equally important as each other - we are all cogs powering the same machine.

If you would like to discuss further by all means contact us info@thecoachhousehumberston.co.uk

Regards
Andy

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Having been many times over the past years, the standards remain excellent. Mark and his team consistently deliver good food at a relatively good price but with great service. Long may they continue.

Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased we keep impressing every time you visit, and we always aim to keep it that way

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Its a con if you go as a group as you have to pay on one bill so you don't get the deals.
If you all sat on different tables you would be able to pay separately. We won't go again.
They have lost over £200 by ripping us off.

3  Thank Helen B

Hello.
Regarding your recent review, to say that our 2-for-1 offer is "a con" is rather unfair.

If I may quote the first page of our menu, highlighted by a bright red box
"We cannot produce separate bills for any tables.
Our policy is one bill per table, and one main course per guest."
This is partially due to a limitation of our till system.

We have many large groups book with us, many of which re-book with us.
We recommend our 'Large Party Celebration Menu' which is on our website for larger parties (this is not on the 2-for-1 offer) - this makes everything straightforward for the group leader as it gives a clear price per guest. If you were to try our restaurant as a big group again, I would highly recommend this in the future.

Regards