“Accommodation very standard and does not reflect the price”

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
London
“Accommodation very standard and does not reflect the price”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We found it hard to find an available B&B in Cleethorpes over the Bank Holiday weekend, so instead we booked at The Dovedale, despite their higher room prices. Their website gives the impression of a top quality hotel, so we decided it might be worth paying a little more for a comfortable stay. I had also been informed by a local that it is considered (not necessarily by her) 'The poshest hotel in Cleethorpes'. I have to say, I strongly disagree with the latter description.

Staff were friendly-ish on arrival; not overly welcoming though. The reception area is smart/attractive, as per their photos.

Our standard room was disappointing for the price (£90 per night inc. breakfast). It was smaller than we'd hoped with nowhere to put your suitcase. The TV didn't work straight away; this was fixed, however I was awoken both mornings at 7am by a 'snowstorm' TV screen. Perhaps the previous guests had put a timer on it, so not necessarily the hotels fault and I only reported it on checking-out. One of the wall sockets made a disturbing electrical crackling noise on plugging in. We mentioned it to reception, who said they'd look into it, however we decided to avoid using it for the duration of our stay as no-one informed us it had been fixed.

The ensuite was very basic with a noisy fan on an outside wall, which made the bathroom feel cold in the morning. The mirror had rusty edges (not an intentional design feature), the shower quite poor pressure-wise and the radiator dusty along the top. There were no added-extras such as miniature shampoos etc. which I normally rely on when I am only staying for a couple of nights.

On the plus-side, the TV was a decent size and the bed was comfortable, so we slept well both nights (despite being woken up by the telly!). Cleanliness in general was also good in the room and the bathroom. All other facilities you'd expect were good such as kettle, iron/board and hairdryer.

Breakfast was also good, although I have had better for the price. I have an allergy to dairy and this was dealt with confidently by the friendly waitress, who remembered me on the 2nd morning so I didn't have to repeat myself, which was helpful.

All in all, our stay was good however the standard does not reflect the price. In my opinion, they either need to lower their price or up their game to get better reviews on here. Unfortunately, I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rach D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed at the Dovedale for a couple of nights and thought it was a fantastic hotel.
The room we had was a family room which was very clean and a very good size.
The Staff at the hotel were very nice and made you feel very welcome.
The breakfast in the morning was very nice, if anything it was too much,(not a bad thing)
The location the hotel was situated was great, close to everything.
I read on previous reviews regarding the parking but we found no problems at all regarding this, we were out in our car on a few occasions and found no problem each time in parking our car in their private car park at the rear of the hotel.
With our travelling down from Scotland we were very happy with the hotel after the long drive and would highly recommend this hotel. Thanks

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan944
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed at the Dovedale while attending a family party nearby and the location was not only very convenient, but also pleasant - about a minute's walk from the beach, with lots of restaurants and bars if you needed them. It was surprisingly quiet, except for some loud plumbing noises in the middle of the night - the staff were happy to swap us to another room for the second night, and throughout our stay we received nothing but pleasan, cheerful service. The rooms themselves were a bit small but well equipped with a nice TV. Bathroom fixtures are tatty with gold plating peeling off the taps but everything worked fine. Bed linen is at the 'bobbly' stage so not that comfortable, but was clean and fresh. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we were dining with family but had drinks in the bar where the selection was very good. Breakfast also offers a great selection, served by some very cheerful ladies, who didn't seem to mind guests breaking the rather early 9am weekend deadline! The lounge and bar areas are pleasantly furnished and there's a nice terrace outside, so it is a place you can relax. All in all, a nice hotel that offers reasonable value for money and is just let down slightly by some minor points.

1 Thank ironhorse_10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here with our two children, aged 5 and 13. The allocated room was a family room as requested, and on the third floor overlooking the front road. The trip up to the room was a bit of a trek with luggage, as the stair way is somewhat narrow.
The room itself was spacious with good, comfortable beds and clean linen. Despite the front location, the night time was not noisy and everyone enjoyed a peaceful sleep. The bathroom had a good shower and plenty of hot water. The only downside was the bathroom towel rails being rusty and loosely attached to the wall.

In the room is free WiFi. We could only receive 5 channels on the TV despite Freeview channels being advertised as available.

Breakfast was of the full English variety and we were all satisfied by the quality and speed of service, all cheerfully served.

Overall a positive experience, and will likely stay again.

Room Tip: We had room number seven. The neighbouring room is room eight, and I believe also a family room faci...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mark60528
Rotherham
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We were somewhat disappointed by our break at this hotel, particularly my husband who booked it as a treat for me. On arrival the back entrance area was untidy, obviously due to some minor work which was going on. On reaching reception we were greeted by someone who appeared very ill at ease at front of office and who lacked any kind of enthusiasm. Having seen the pictures on the internet beforehand I was quite excited about seeing our room, expecting similar standards to those on the pictures. Initial impression was that for the money we had paid the room was pretty small but the decor was relatively good. On entering the bathroom however disappointment grew. There was rust covering the entire front of the radiator, for which I feel there is no excuse. On using the shower a bit kept fall off and then on trying to use the sink tap it turned fully round on itself everytime it was turned on or off. Compared to some B&Bs we have stayed in the standard of the room was not even on a par with the £50.00£60.00 a night rooms we have booked in the past. On trying to add a positive note, I would say that the lounge/bar area was nice and I was impressed by the choice of drinks and cocktails. On settling our bill we were asked if we enjoyed our stay and we were both honest about being disappointed about the standard of the room and that it did not live up to the expectations of the website. The young girl on reception didn't seem overly bothered by our concerns and just smiled inanely. Overall, I would say beware when booking any of the standard rooms - on skimming the reviews, those who have stayed and given good reviews obviously didn't stay in our room!

1 Thank joe1972

Travellers are raving about these Cleethorpes hotels

London England
Reviewed 17 July 2011

One night stay with a late check in so not able to review the restaurant. Dovedale has a pretty front seating area full of flowers with tables, chairs and parasols.The staff were courteous at reception and at breakfast which was served quickly and efficiently.

Public areas are attractively decorated, however my room was a disappointment - on the ground floor, accessed from a dingy back alley behind the hotel and next to the kitchen. I was concerned that it might be noisy but no problems here - although it was a Monday night. Inside the room it was rather dark but the bed was confortable, everything was clean and tidy and the large flat screen TV was a bonus. Paint was peeling off the walls in places and the bathroom needs a refurb.

Reading other reviews I'd be asking for a room in the hotel if I stayed again.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building - not a downstairs/outside room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Geebee55
Northumberland
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We were unexpectedly charmed by Cleethorpes. It's a lovely old fashioned seaside resort - well tended gardens, donkeys on the beach, deckcharirs, a pier and fish and chips. It was just like resorts used to be, and we were immensely pleased with the whole place. So given our good first impressions of the town, our first impressions of the Dovedale Hotel were not so good. Clearly they can't help the demolition of a neighbouring property, nor the boarded up building on the other side, but it really does make the whole street look run down and neglected. Please don't let this put you off because inside it was lovely. We asked for a quiet room, and were placed on the first floor at the back overlooking the car park. The room was small but adequate. Large towels, a large modern TV, white bed linen, pale walls and plenty of tea, coffee and milk supplies. We had a shower room, but if there was a way to make the fan work we never managed to fathom it out. The bed was comfortable and the mattress new. It provided everything we needed for a good nights sleep.
We had a full breakfast the next morning, and we had no problems in getting the extras we asked for, We managed to squeeze our car into the small car park at the back, but parking may be a problem for late arrivals on busy nights. I thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope that we may one day be able to return.

1 Thank tranquilnight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grimsby
Ginnie's
Ginnie's
#5 of 7 in Cleethorpes

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!