“A little pricey”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Lincolnshire UK
“A little pricey”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I live locally and know the hotel / location well. I've stayed there twice, and the first time was lovely - which resulted in me booking a second visit.

We deliberately booked a room (again) with a jacuzzi bath, but on arrival we found that there was no hot water. Major disappointment, this wasn't explained to us on check in - and it took almost 2hrs to heat up. At one point I even ended up in the loft (seriously) trying to help the very apologetic young man who explained that the plumber had been, but that they were having to wait for the water to heat up. This really was a big deal to us, and it could have been so easily explained when we checked in, but it meant that the bath didn't happen until the following morning because we had a meal booked on that evening - and couldn't wait for enough hot water to fill the bath. OK, maybe this could happen to any hotel at any time, and they did offer to move us, but it was the bath that we wanted, so we opted to stay put.

There are some comments on here that mention how eating outside (in an enclosed 'gazebo' type construction) was too cold, but unless it's chilly (winter?) believe me, it's lovely and private...recommended to all you romantic couples.

The room was fine - clean, at the front of the hotel, with a balcony (which is lovely on a nice evening), lots of tea / coffee, comfy bed etc.

The Dovedale has for many years had an excellent reputation for it's food - and I can't fault that, the service is a little amateur at times (but the waitresses were very friendly), and generally I would describe it as a 'nice' B&B, and a little overpriced for the quality of the rooms and the service.

The worst part for me was that we weren't offered any reduction in cost when we checked out - we paid around £80 for one night B&B, and despite me saying how disappointed I was over the whole 'no hot water' situation, no offer was made by the lady on reception to reduce the bill. In fact she was very dismissive compared to the previous evening - where the young man obviously felt very uncomfortable about the whole situation.

It's for this reason that I've not stayed again - I personally think that the Kingsway Hotel in Cleethorpes offers far better 'old fashioned' service (and gorgeous food)....the rooms there a little floral and dated, but the service is superb with the rooms at the front having a view over the estuary.

Room Tip: Ask for a jacuzzi bath - and hot water!
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JussyB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The Dovedale Hotel - 18 Albert Road Cleethorpes

First of all I would just like to tell you a bit about myself.

My name is Ricki and for years I have been writing reviews to help people choose a destination or hotel to visit

I was given an opportunity to stay at the Dovedale hotel for the weekend on the 12th August 2011 – 14th August 2011.

This review will cover all aspects of the hotel and surrounding area, what there is to do, what’s available for all age groups and to see if this is the right hotel and area for you.

One thing to mention is that all people are different and have different styles and expectations when booking a hotel or holiday, and I urge you to read between the lines when reading any reviews on trip advisor. If you like the look and price of the hotel go and try it; everyone will have a different experience. A holiday is what you make of it so look for it, book it and enjoy it. Don’t forget to write your experience on trip advisor and let people know how it was.

The review is in sections, so if you want to know about a certain aspect only... scroll down to the relevant section you require.

On with the review….

Myself and my nanna were picked up and we had no idea where we were staying.. The only thing we did know is that it was in the Cleethorpes area.

I had read reviews on trip advisor before we left and had in mind where I would like to stay, and when we pulled up at the Dovedale I was delighted at the thought of staying here.

Here is a breakdown of each sector from exterior to interior and surrounding area of the hotel.

ROAD OUTSIDE THE HOTEL

Upon arriving at the hotel I noticed that the hotel did not have a car park at the front, although they do have one at the back of the hotel. The road was very narrow with cars parked on one side and double yellow lines on the other. This road should be a one way because of it being so narrow, but you can easily drive down it with plenty of space for manoeuvring.

I got out of the car and my first impressions were

FIRST IMPRESSIONS – FROM THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN

The Exterior of the Dovedale was well presented. There were nice bright colourful flowers. The exterior of the hotel is well maintained and looked after. It was clean tidy warm and inviting.

The hotel has two signs outside advertising their award winning restaurant which specialises in seafood and steaks. (MORE ON FOOD LATER) there is also a coffee bar which is open all day to everyone.

There are spotlights under the hotel sign which lights up at night; I personally think it looked impressive.

Outside the hotel there is plenty of seating and tables including two wooden gazebos, both with comfy cushions and also a heater for the colder days/months. You can also eat your dinner in them which makes it more private. Great for a small family dinner at the restaurant. (maximum 10 guests)

Upon looking up at the hotel I noticed that two of the rooms had a balcony with lots of colourful flowers on them, I thought to myself “I hope I have a balcony”. With the road being away from the promenade you cannot see the sea so you would be overlooked by the guest house facing you. This didn't bother me at all.

The hotel has a ramp – ideal for disabled guests staying at the hotel or visiting the restaurant.

Outside the main door the hotel has a cigarette ashtray on the wall, ideal for those smokers. There are also covered ashtrays on the tables.

The hotel has CCTV cameras interior and exterior and it makes you feel safe.

RECEPTION

We were greeted by a warm and friendly lady called Julie which is the hotel proprietor. She asked us to write some basic information within the guestbook (names of guests, car registration address etc.

The reception area was warm clean and inviting and reminded me of an African theme. The edge around the reception desk looked like bamboo and the décor was fantastic, a lot of funky ornaments and comfy sofas and seating areas to chat to family, friends or even the hotel staff.

On the reception desk they have a photo frame with a slideshow of pictures of their rooms. However the frame was behind a vase which had some wonderful flowers in them but I feel it should be in front of the vase and not behind it. Let customers see what your rooms are like.

This hotel has been given a variety of awards for there prize winning restaurant and hotel. The hotel achieved a Silver Award in 2010, 1st place for Cleethorpes in bloom the Grimsby telegraph voted the restaurant “Restaurant of the year in 2008/2009 and 2010.

Hallways and Doors

Tom, the hotel waiter/porter took our bags and lead us through a door next to the bar area. The door I thought was very heavy and could be difficult to open for some people with disability, however the staff at the hotel are always on hand to give their guests a pleasant and enjoyable stay and will hold this open for you.

The hallways and doors are of a very dark colour and the hallways are very narrow and look a bit dull looking.. this I think lets the hotel down as I was expecting the room to be the same. However I was wrong!!

Rooms (Standard & Executive)

I was first let to my nannas standard room, number ‘15’. Upon entering the room I was shocked.. The room was gorgeous it had everything you needed. Maybe the hoteliers want to wow the customers as they enter the room.. I sure was.

The facilities within the room were:

Hairdryer
Kettle
2 cups and spoons
Tea (PG Tips and Tetley)
4 very small cartons of milk.
Walk-in shower
Free WI-FI
Huge widescreen television with free view channels
Phone
Room service
Radio alarm clock
Iron
Ironing board
3 toilet rolls

The bed was a double and was very comfortable and a lot of thought and effort has been given to get this room to this fantastic standard.

One thing that I noticed is that the view from the room is overlooking the hotel car park, great if you want to keep an eye on your car

The bathroom was decorated to a fantastic standard and had 2 wash basins with chrome taps with a vase of flowers in the middle. There were also bath and hand towels on the bed with toiletries (2 sachets of bath and shower gel and soap).

The room also had a mahogany workbench with a chair and a large mirror. On this worktop it consisted of a room service menu and a hotel information guide with attractions of the local area.

The shower was easy to use and of good temperatures. (Room Service was not used)

I was then led up to my Executive room ‘24’

I opened the door nervously. I didn’t know that this was an executive room and I didn’t know what to expect but upon entering the room I was even more shocked.

The room was absolutely fantastic

I had the same features as the standard room with a few little extra touches.

The mahogany workstation was replaced with a nice black shiny worktop with 3 draws on each side. The room was green (my favourite colour) and had a nice big double bed. I looked towards the window to find that I had a balcony which had lovely flowers (hanging baskets) a small table and 2 chairs. I was at the front of the hotel and my view was of the road in front of the hotel and other hotels facing the Dovedale.

The bathroom was even better.. Very spacious nice mirror and toilet. I looked into the bath and noticed that it was a Jacuzzi!! A self clean one at that.

I’ve got to say on first impressions I loved this room.

I’ve got to admit.. I do the dust test, just for those asthmatics out there and there was no dust in the room and boy did I try and find some lol, I checked under the bed, on top of the TV.. I found nothing and was pleasantly pleased with the whole standard of the room. I felt like a king.

The standard of the rooms are of a better quality that you get in some 5 star hotels within the UK. I preferred my executive suite than the standard and for the price difference I urge you to stay in the executive rooms if you choose to stay at this hotel, however the standard was still of good quality.

Beds – comfiest bed I have ever slept in.. I wanted to take it home with me
Pillows.. I have a neck problem and it’s taken me years to find a pillow to suit my neck. As a result to avoid disappointment, I take my pillow everywhere with me if I stay in a hotel within the UK. My nanna said that she found the pillows to be of a good quality and she slept well with them.

Breakfast

At breakfast there was a lot of variety. There is a table with a few cold selections on

Here is a breakdown on what’s on offer on the table:

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Special K Cereal
Rice Crispies Cereal
Cornflakes
Selection of Fruit
Ski and Muller Light yogurts (variety of flavours and low fat options)
Variety of different jams. (I did not see marmalade during the weekend.)
Bowls
Milk

We sat down at our table and looked at the menu you can pick anything you want.. Here is the selection:

Bacon, egg and sausage sandwiches
Fried bread
Sausage
Bacon
Beans
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Toast (white or brown bread)
Egg (poached, fried or scrambled)

They even have a vegetarian breakfast.

The tables consist of 2,4,6,8 and were laid out so you can manoeuvre round the tables easy without disturbing other hotel guests. Very easy to put a family or party together comfortably. The table setting had a cup, plate, and knife fork and tea spoon. If you required cereal you could get a cereal/yogurt spoon from the table with the cold items on. There was white and brown sugar sachets on the first day but no brown sugar on any of the tables the second day. Tomato and brown sauce is also available in sachets.

The hotel caters for a wide audience and has a selection of coffees, fruit and speciality teas including lady gray, early gray and decaffeinated selections.

The breakfast was of a good quality and arrived hot and very promptly after ordering

What would have made breakfast more enjoyable is to have a croissant or something sweet (chocolate or blueberry muffin etc

The waitress on this occasion did not ask us if everything was ok with our meal – not a big thing but I feel its common courtesy to ask if their guests are enjoying their experience.

Evening Meal

As this hotel is available to outsiders as well as their hotel guests it is advised that guests book a table to avoid disappointment. We had our table booked for 6.30pm. Upon arriving at reception we asked Julie that we were ready to be shown to our table and she asked us where we would like to sit, inside or outside. We chose to sit outside in a special gazebo with a lot of space. The heater was on and was very hot so I asked if they could switch it off as it was quite a hot evening and they did.

We were asked if we would like any drinks with our meal. I ordered a vodka and lemonade and my nanna ordered a brandy and diet coke.

The food was up to a very good standard. We were served promptly and the waitress asked if everything was ok with the meals.

BAR

The bar had a wide variety of drinks including a coffee shop on which were reasonable prices. The staff were always on hand to serve you and they always served you with a smile.

This hotel has a variety of drinks to choose from, from all soft drinks for the kids to champagne and fine wine for that more memorable celebration.

On the pictures of this review you can see the bar so why not find your tipple ;)

The bar was very warm and inviting and had a lot of seating areas which lead into reception. There you can speak to family and friends or even the hotel staff.

The hotel offers a wide selection of cocktails both by glass and pitcher.

Some of the cocktails included:

Icy Queen - A mixture of vodka tipple sec lime and lemonade

Harvey Wallbanger - Vodka, Galliano and orange

Tutti fruiti - A sugary cocktail which consisted of midori liquor and orange

And many many more.

The prices were very reasonable to a hotel standard. The pitchers included sangria, rum punch and Hawaii punch and many more.

Try them and see what you think.

For those wanting a night on the town who want to start the night good and proper, why not try a shot of sambucca or an aftershock.

The menu has a variety to choose from, here is what I had:

Starter

Sizzling Garlic &Chilli King Prawns With Warm Ciabatta

Main

Oven Roasted Rack of Barbeque Pork Ribs, This came with a funky side dish of homemade chips and Salad or Potatoes and Vegetables

Desert

Warm Chocolate Brownie with Turkish Delight Ice Cream

General info on the hotel and surrounding area

Limited car parking spaces at the rear of the hotel down Dolphin Street accessible via Alexandra road (main sea front)

Free Wi-Fi within the hotel

Churches - contact reception

Doctor - can be called to hotel - contact reception

Room has a radiator with temperature controls

220/240 volts in the bedroom

110/240 volts in the bathroom

Dogs - guide dogs are permitted or contact reception to make arrangements

Breakfast is served between
7am - 9am Monday - Friday
7.30am - 9.00am Saturday and Sunday

Lunch is served between 11.30pm - 2pm

Dinner is served between 6pm - 9pm

Cots are available at reception

Credit cards - Access, VISA Switch diners card and Amex

Cheques are only accepted with a cheque guarantee card

Accounts for rooms are settled on departure

Flowers/fruit baskets/and chocolates - These can be arranged by contacting the hotel reception or prior to your visit

Laundry - £7 per wash
Reception is on hand to offer weather advice and services within the local area upon request.

Luggage - help is on hand for all just ask

Fax and Facsimile - available on request at reception

Transport - Taxis are available to book at the hotel reception or ring 01472 600 600 busses and trains are available locally.

Hotel VIP CLUB - get offers and information about upcoming events by subscribing to their VIP club. I have!

Telephone charges

Far East and Australasia - £4.99 per minute
North America and Caribbean - £2.99 per minute
Middle East and Africa - £4.99 per minute
South America - £4.99 per minute
Free phone - £2.50 minimum (£5.00 capped)
International free phone - £2.50minimum (£5.00 capped)

The hotel does theme nights but if you are unsuccessful to be there for a theme night.. It’s only a taxi ride or a short drive away for entertainment for all the family at McCormicks down the road.

In McCormack’s they have a bar and a restaurant with a variety of activities such as pool, a small arcade and dance floor for the children to play on.

They also did a raffle to win some cuddly toys. £1 a strip of tickets and the kids loved it.

The children’s entertainer was also the bingo caller in an arcade we went to.

You can get more information on McCormack’s by going to their website.

Breakfast Score – 99%

Main Meal Score – 100% - This is the best hotel restaurant I have ever eaten in. The chilli garlic king prawns were very nice and spicy. The meat on the barbecue ribs fell off the bone and was cooked to perfection. I loved the way the chips and salad were put on the ying yang plates.

Hygiene – 96% - I have psoriasis on my back and I was a little disappointed that they did not change the bed covers daily. I did a little test by putting a very tiny dot on the bottom of the left sheet and made my bed the next morning to make it look like I hadn’t slept in it, upon arriving back at the hotel the dot was still there.

I understand that the hotel may have their own system, but they did not ask if there was any special requirements and they didn’t go above and beyond.

Why didn’t I tell them I hear you say…? I would have done if they would have asked if there was any special requirements.

In conclusion I had a fantastic time.. The hotel is not a 3 star it’s definitely a 4 star. Myself and my nanna was well looked after and we enjoyed this hotel.

Cleethorpes has loads to offer and I will be definitely returning in November for me and my partner’s anniversary and I can show him the hotel.

I will be going back to this hotel.. I am going to ask for the same room NO.24 and im going to have a blast AGAIN.

For those reading this review.. I would recommend that you try it for yourselves and read between the lines. For the trip advisor reviewers out there you need to be balanced and fair when writing your reviews, and just think of how the hotel and surrounding area can be portrayed by others.

Go and see it for yourself and have a blast

If you would like to contact me for more information please do so on

richardmyers_85@yahoo.co.uk and I will endeavour to contact you within 48 hours

Have fun and enjoy! Where ever you go :)

Room Tip: Executive Rooms have self clean jacuzzi bath
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank truehotelreviews
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This hotel is lovely. Staff are really friendly and accommodating. We had a family room with double bed and bunks and an ensuite bathroom. It has everything you need, kettle, flat screen telly and nice fluffy towels. The location is great, everything is just a short walk away. There is a small car park to the rear of the hotel, this is handy as parking can be difficult. Breakfast was perfect for us, not too big and not too small but cooked to perfection. The restaurant has a variety of high chairs that suit children of different ages. Overall a lovely place to stay and we would return. (The only reason I have not given the hotel 5 stars is my son found a tangerine under the bed and it was not ours!)

Room Tip: Not all the family rooms have an ensuite bath which is essential for really young children so call t...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank KMH1975
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Having been to the Dovedale on several occasions before, we decided to book out the private room for our wedding reception which was only a small affair, the food was outstanding as usual and everything went brilliantly nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we enjoyed the hotel for the most part of the day. We stayed the evening in a lovely superior room which if I had to be critical it was toooo hot but that was probably due to the fact we were having an indian summer at this time. All in all this hotel is a place I like to visit time and time again and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sue M
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Searching for a 'dog friendly' hotel in Cleethorpes we booked The Dovedale for an overnight stay, wise decision! Yes, we did get an outside room which was ideal for popping in and out with the dog and also handy for easy access to the car. Yes, smokers did use the car park but did not disturb us thanks to the double glazing.
It is usual not to get the best rooms when bringing a dog but our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Everything you could possibly need had been provided even a corkscrew! and every member of staff we spoke to was friendly and helpful.
Dinner and breakfast were both excellent and we will be returning to this hotel next time we are in the area.
Two sisters and a collie!

Room Tip: We would recommend this hotel to dog owners.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sylvia F
wrexham
Reviewed 27 September 2011

rooms very clean, but we had no toileteries until the last night,
had to ask twice for a sweet menu, then it arrived late and was cold, did not complain as the whole stay was lovely, 4 poster and jacuzzi, heaven. the restaurant provided good food, service was a bit slow.

Nice staff though, friendly. Outside area is small but really cosy, espeically the covered seating area with little lights and cosy heater

Room Tip: very quiet location, on a side street, good location for pubs/restaurants
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WrexhamLouise
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We recently stayed at the hotel and were placed in room 28. We had high hopes following the information and picture display at the reception, however after paying £85 for one night it was much a disappointment.

The room itself was a good size with a large television but the negatives soon out-weighed the positives. The hotel should please note the areas requiring upgrading:

Shower room:
~The wet floor shower does not drain adeqautely and soaks the whole room.
~The shower room (and main door) have both been affected by damp and are unsightly.
~Light bulb needs replaced.
~Would benefit from a good clean (walking bare foot left black marks on feet).

Bedroom:
~Cups and saucers were covered in dust and stained
~The kettle switch is broken and cover missing
~Double bed head-board hits off the wall so ever time you move it bangs (moving bed did not resolve this so had to put a pillow behind it).
~Single bed has a noisy waterproof cover in place.
~Room dusty and curtains stained.

Breakfast was good and staff friendly but unfortunately our over-all experience was poor. Maybe the other rooms in the hotel are better than the one we had? (The room is accessed outdoors at side of hotel which during the night appeared to be the main walkway for diners/ other guests and was noisy).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Daisy-bell11

Travellers are raving about these Cleethorpes hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grimsby
Ginnie's
Ginnie's
#5 of 7 in Cleethorpes

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!