“Perfectly nice”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Devon, United Kingdom
“Perfectly nice”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I found this hotel to be perfectly servicable. Nothing to shout out about, but for what we paid (£109 for a family room) what we received was reasonable and I found nothing to readily complain about. The front desk staff were polite and helpful, as was the lady who served us breakfast. Breakfast was pleasant enough, although a little stingy (one of everything, except mushrooms, of which they had run out). Our room was decent, pleasant in decor and just roomy enough, but then we are a large family (kids of 11 and 14). The bathroom needed a bit of maintenance though, the shower could do with a real clean. Would we return here? Yes, I think we would.

Room Tip: The car park is around the back.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Belton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Room Tip: The car park is around the back.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Peter A
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Having dinner here is excellent - good service and good food.

My husband has limited mobility so when visiting friends in the area I needed a hotel that had a good-sized room, ground floor room or a lift, a shower cubicle rather than over the bath, a car park onsite. When I rang to check all this Christian assured me it would be no problem.

On arrival, their very small car park had no spaces and we had to park way down the road...
The room was ground floor but was outside (literally outside) at the back in an annex which had very little natural light even on a sunny day....really depressing feel to it.
Size-wise it would have been ok if it had just the double bed but it had a single too which made the gap between beds and the bed and wall VERY narrow (the bedside table drawers couldn't be opened as they hit the radiator) and very difficult for wobbly less mobile folk to negotiate...
The shower was a wet room, but the floor was very stained and looked dirty, and the white door into the shower room was plastered with dirty marks....
The very worst thing was THE SMELL...I didn't realise hotels still had smoking rooms (in future I shall ensure I check!) but this one obviously was! It STANK - and the smell permeated everything...the bedding, the pillows, our clothes even though we left them in the suitcase rather than put them in the drawers...
I should have walked straight out but my husband was really tired after travelling, I didn't want to upset our friends who had recommended the hotel (based on their restaurant experience), I knew they didn't have any alternative accommodation due to a conversation they had on the phone with someone else while we were booking in, and we thought we would be able to cope for one night, especially as we were booked in for dinner with our friends joining us.
In hindsight it was a mistake, we should have just left...
The next morning following a discussion at Reception they did reduce the room cost from £85 to £60 but this is still too much to pay for that room. Maybe the 'proper' rooms in the hotel itself are better, but if you're thinking of staying here then DON'T stay in 28 (and possibly 29 which is outside next to 28) unless you smoke heavily yourself and don't mind a grubby shower room.

Room Tip: Avoid 28 and any other rooms 'at the back'!
5 Thank wabbodog

Travellers are raving about these Cleethorpes hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Booked in here for a weekend break. Young lad on reception was welcoming and friendly, told me how to get to the car park at the rear of the hotel. Got to the car park, took case from car and almost put it down in a load of dog muck. A sign of things to come. I had asked to have the best room in the hotel which I was happy to pay for. Got to the room, not anything like on their website, four poster bed had dust and cobwebs on top of frame work. Went into bathroom to see a load of black mould all around the bath. The brass taps where a lovely shade of green, probably to match the stained green tiles on the floor. The shower head was full of scum.
Decided we weren't staying so went to complain to reception. The young lad was quickly replaced by the most arrogant and slovenly woman I have met in a hotel. She said we could move room but we told her if her best room was like this then the lower standard rooms would probably be just as bad. She said maybe our standards were to high. She also told us that we would have to pay for the full weekend because they had a 48 hour cancellation policy. If she would have informed me the room was this bad 48 hours earlier I would have cancelled then. How can you give 48 hours notice when you haven't seen the room. By now I was so fed up with her attitude and everything else that I said I would pay for I night and nothing else. This she accepted.
I would recommend she attended a course on customer relations ASAP.
Can't comment on the food because I didn't stay long enough to sample it.
Definitely wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: If you still intend to go here insist on the room shown on their web page
7 Thank steve d
dudley
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I didnt know how to rate this hotel,as compared to other accomodation in Cleethorpes it is good,the service and breakfast room/and choice of breakfast was very good, we were only here for one night visiting our cousin, the room was very clean, small but nicely decorated, there was no veiw ,it just looked on to another window,the room was very warm and we couldnt find any controls to turn down the temprature.We paid £85 for one night which is why i scored it average as i felt compared to other hotels i have stayed in for this price i have had a bigger room, but the overall stay was good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sumidudley
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We didn't feel like fish and chips so that ruled out 99% of the eateries in Cleethorpes. We were directed to The Dovedale Hotel from a board at the end of the road (thanks for that or we would have missed you). We knew we were on to a winner as soon as we went in. There's obviously been a serious and talented interior designer behind the decor, especially of the restaurant - it's superb. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The food was excellent - all of it. The roast potatoes were among the best i've ever eaten. They alone made the visit worthwhile.

1 Thank Thirstypaul
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed at the dovedale hotel on wednesday 20th june 2012 just for the night, when we arrived and saw the downstairs of the hotel itself it was very nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful but when we seen our room it was extremely dissapointing especially after seeing all the lovely rooms on offer on the website. We were given a family room at the back of the hotel above the kitchens which was very smelly and noisy and as there was only two of us i wasnt expecting a family room??Also the carpets were really dirty and the food/drink were very expensive. Overall the hotel was ok but for £79.00 a night i was not expecting the shody room we received. I would not stay there again and would reccomend anyone who has already booked to request 1st floor front rooms only.

Room Tip: 1st floor front rooms only
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laura1619
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grimsby
Ashbourne Hotel
Ashbourne Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Killingholme

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!