“Disabled Access”

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I must say i didnt stay at the Hotel, but did go there to dine in their restaurant. I was impressed that they had a ramp in place for disabled customers in wheelchairs. the Hotel looks amazing outside and in. As a registered blind person who uses a guide dog though i was a little disappointed. The reason being, we were told that we would have to sit near the fire exit, which i didnt mind, but when we entered the dining room, all the diners were at the top end of the dinning room and we were shown to the far end to an area which wasnt being used and put right in the corner because we had the guide dog with us. i have telephoned the hotel to express my disappointment at this and they have apologised. I asked if they could make their staff aware of disabled rights as i felt i was being discriminated against and couldnt join the rest of the diners. When i go out i like to be with others as i go out to be social. Hopefully the next time i visit things will be different.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AJMBEE

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a very enjoyable weekend stay at this hotel. We were very impressed with the standard of the room and furnishings. Most importantly, the bedroom and bathroom were very clean! We took our own travel cot and there was plenty of room to accommodate it in the room. The little touches also made our visit, such as plenty of milk and good quality loo roll! The breakfast was very good also, with plenty of choice. We also ate in the restaurant one evening and again had a really good meal. The staff were very friendly especially towards our one year old. Overall, very impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just stayed at this hotel. Room Was lovely we had an executive room was very clean it had a nice little balcony it sit out on and enjoy the weather. Staff were friendly. I could only find a few faults we ate in the restaurant waited almost an hour before before ate. Steaks were wonderful but them only had the house dressing for the salad with no other option and pepper corn sauce tasted like flour. Thank You for a plesant stay

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna F
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I am confined to a wheelchair, because I can't walk or stand. I told the receptionist of my predicament when I booked, and was assured that they had disabled facilities.
On arrival, accompanied by my brother and nephew, I found that the ground floor room was far from satisfactory. There was a fusty smell, probably due to a section of skirting board and door frame that was rotten. The wooden laminate flooring was curling up at the edges,and there was tape holding down the door mat. The wet room was very small with no grab rails. I couldn't use the shower because there was no fold down seat on the wall, The bed was so high that I couldn't transfer onto it with the aid of my slide board. My brother and nephew had to lift me out of my wheelchair and put me on the bed. I've slept in beds in many Hotels in many countries and have never experienced any thing like it before.
When I told the receptionist of my findings, I was met with negative comments.
Had it been my wife who had been with me, we couldn't have stayed.
I am pleased it was only for one night. Never again.

Room Tip: Find disabled accommodation that is regulated
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Kevan R
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Not a bad little hotel, staff was friendly enough, could do with new carpets and the wood work on the stairs could do with cleaning( very dusty) the bug bear though was when we returned from a 80th birthday meal, we all went back to the dovedale but got told there was a private function on and wasn't allowed in the bar for a drink...was mostly shocked, but got told we could sit outside in the smoking canopy being June the weather wasn't brilliant and having 3 pensioners over 80 I though how generous NOT.....not impressed at all...will not be staying again on that principle and will no recommend to anyone

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gas_Heads08
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Interestingly when I wrote this review on Booking.com, they removed all the negative comments from the bottom of the review. I emailed to ask why and was told they had put it on as I had written it which was definitely not the case and they refused to amend my review to give a true account of my stay. Not sure who was responsible for this!

We had already been in Cleethorpes for our 1st anniversary in our family caravan and decided to stay an extra night in the comfort of a nice hotel. We had been recommended The Dovedale by a lady taxi driver from Cleethorpes so we thought we would give it a try.
We really struggled to park when we arrived and as I have a problem with my hip, we wanted to park nearby so I didn't have far to walk.We had to park on the street outside wondering where the advertised car park was, but it took us a while to get a space. The hotel looked good from the outside, and when we walked in, the reception area was clean and we admired the decor.
The first lady we spoke to looked flustered and didn't seem to know about our booking. Then another lady appeared and without speaking gave me a card to fill in my details. She gave us a room key and literally just pointed to a door and told us to walk through the restaurant and walk upstairs to find our room! We do sadly occasionally get this type of welcome as we look younger than our years despite both being a professional married couple of 30!
The stairs are typically steep as its a Victorian property so wouldn't recommend for people with health probs/disabilities unless you book in advance as there are ground floor rooms available.
When we got in our room, number 122, we were pleasantly surprised as it was tidy and decorated nicely, the bed looked inviting and comfortable and there were tea and coffee making facilities and a large flat screen tv on the wall. A nice inviting room.
It was a small double room but big enough for the two of us for one night. The window overlooked the car park we couldn't find on small a residential street behind. They should advertise this on the website.
The bathroom was very dated and had grout missing between tiles, the toilet seat was ancient and had green smears where they had obviously been trying to bleach it. Also the toilet didn't flush properly, it had to be flushed at least twice every time!
There were lots of work vans in the carpark and we unfortunately got woken up by them getting ready to go to work around 5.30-6am, not the hotels fault, but location wise our room was right over the carpark so something to think about when you book.
Thankfully the bed was very comfortable though!
That night we went out for a meal and a couple of drinks and returned to the hotel at around 23.00, we then watched a film on tv till around 01.00. When we woke in the morning around 8.45,showered and tidied and then watched tv again for a while as check out wasn't until 12.00 so we thought we may aswell relax and I could rest my hip until it was time to be on our travels again.
At 11.00 a woman suddenly opened our door and I went to see who it was, she simply said 'Oh, I thought you'd have left by now' and walked off.
We went to check out at 11.45 and a lady took the key from me, again without saying a word to me like on check in. As we approached the door, another woman appeared and loudly said 'Who sleeps for 12 hours anyway, tut?'
We presumed this was aimed at us as we had spent a long time in the room and I found it incredibly rude. Just because we spent around 12 hours in the room, does not mean we slept for 12 hours! I have a hip problem which causes excruciating pain and I need to rest it, which was one of the main reasons we stayed in the room in the morning before travelling on.
If you don't want people staying in your rooms till 12.00, then I suggest you change your check out times. Another tip would be to not be so judgemental of people. The comment on leaving alone, was enough to put me off ever returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesnt overlook the carpark...or book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Samfa1984
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I guess there was a time when the Dovedale would have been cutting edge market leaders. Now it kind of highlights how non descript many of our British hotels are particularly those in coastal tows which were almost killed off by Package Holidays. Parking first come first served basis. Suggested we park in library and put some money in the metre. The restaurant was Ok and reasonable. What was less good we the smell of paint. Yes you have to repaint of course. But clearing the paint pots and ladders away when not in use would make the place look better and smell less. The bed room was clean and comfortable. The shower dribbled the control had a piece missing which made it difficult to work out temperature. In the morning I entered breakfast room walked to the area where the fruit juice was picked up a glass " No your glasses are on the table for the juice" I retreated to my table. The waitress did say she realised she growled at meet. breakfast was Ok! Lady on reception very helpful. I left thinking how long will it take to get this taste of paint away

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank concernednortheast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
Premier Inn Cleethorpes Hotel
Ginnie's
#5 of 7 in Cleethorpes
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Brackenborough Hotel

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!