“Hotel fine, restaurant needs organisational overhaul” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Wakefield, West Yorks
“Hotel fine, restaurant needs organisational overhaul”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

Wanting a single night in a family room in Cleethorpes, we were pleased to find the Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant. It is close to the railway station and sea-front and looked pleasant enough from the website and reviews on here.

We had some problems doing an online booking through the website so I booked by phone. The price was about £10 more than the online price said but the website had been a little unclear about whether everything was included. The price was relatively expensive, on a par with some budget chain hotels in London. I was therefore expecting much more than a B&B.

The hotel is easy to find, it is even sign-posted off the main road. There are a number of other hotels/B&Bs on the same street but the Dovedale is the most impressive looking of them all. There is a nice terrace to the front of the hotel which seemed unfortunately popular with the smokers. There is a ramp to the entrance.

Inside, the decor is modern and looks in good condition. Slightly off-putting, the ornaments and decorations all have very visible price tags hanging on them. A more subtle approach might have looked a little more classy.

There is a bar area and a small well-signed reception. Although we arrived well before check-in we were able to get our key and access the room. Our family room was right at the top of the building and there is no lift. This wasn't an issue for us but may have been for others.

The room had a double and two single beds. The furniture and decor looked in good condition, although there was an obvious damp area under the window frame. The window also appeared to be stuck/damaged and we were unable to open it. The hotel was overly warm and we couldn't find a means to reduce the temperature in the room. We eventually slept with the bathroom door open and the bathroom window open to cool the room. We didn't think these things were important enough to refer to the hotel.

The bathroom was quite small, there was no bath but a shower cubicle. The decor was OK but looking in need of a little TLC in places, for example there was no toilet roll holder (though obvious holes in the tiles for the fittings). The bathroom was clean and fresh smelling.

There were plenty of towels provided, plus individual soaps, sachets of shampoo, shower gel, etc. The bed linen was clean and fresh and the double-bed duvet cover had pretty embroidery rather than the usual plain 'corporate' approach.

The room had plenty of facilities (wall-mounted plasma TV, tea/coffee facilities including well-known branded provisions, iron and ironing board, high quality hairdryer). There was free wi-fi in the room (ask for the numerical key at Reception) but performance was somewhat flaky.

The room faced the street and there was some noise at closing time. It was relatively quiet other than that, although a crying baby in the next room did wake us up at about 0500.

We were pleased with the hotel overall. However, we were surprised and disappointed by the restaurant, particularly as it had apparently won local awards. We had decided to eat dinner at the hotel for convenience. Having not made a booking, we asked whether they could fit us in. We were advised that Saturday night tends to be busy but that we should be OK if we went straight in (around 1900). However, the entire service seemed poorly organised and even those with reservations were left waiting an undue amount of time to eat.

Curiously, the approach was to place diners in the bar, give them menus, take their order and leave them there some considerable time before taking them into the dining room. This had the effect of filling up the somewhat small bar area quickly whilst the dining room was largely empty. We waited almost an hour for our food to arrive, and a party with a prior reservation had a similar or slightly longer wait. The hotel was lucky that a couple of groups didn't leave - one group had its order taken twice, the other didn't have its order taken at all. People looked annoyed and fed up, which isn't the experience I guess the restaurant is looking to provide.

Once in the dining room, we were placed at the far end of the room, next to the kitchen doors despite there being many vacant tables elsewhere. Perhaps we had inadvertently offended one of the staff. It did provide us with a view of the kitchen, the performance of the chefs and snatched bits of conversations that were probably best not shared with paying patrons.
Having given our order over 30 minutes before, one of our party was asked how he would like his steak cooked. We were advised that his choice - well done - would take some time, so he changed it to medium!

When our food arrived, it looked well presented (the menu looks good and there was a reasonable range of dishes, including several vegetarian options). However, it wasn't quite as ordered, mixing up salad and vegetable sides, but that was relatively unimportant. The quality was variable. The vegetables were over-cooked, the sea bass full of bones, the vegetable open lasagne watery and lacking in flavour. However, the pepper sauce for the fish was excellent and the herby potatoes went down well. The blue cheese stuffed mushrooms (actually a large flat mushroom with crumbled cheese on top) was nice enough but not as expected.

Once we had finished eating we had a 15 minute wait for someone to clear our plates and to offer us dessert, etc. We had planned to have dessert but given the time taken and the general quality we decided to not bother. When someone did clear our plates, they only cleared half. When the other half was eventually cleared we were asked whether anyone "had asked whether you want anything else". She didn't look particularly surprised when we said we didn't.

We paid the bill but exceptionally left no tip as the service was amongst the poorest I've ever experienced anywhere. There were plenty of staff waiting on, but only one who appeared competent or motivated. We regularly saw members of staff 'shadowing' each other to carry out tasks requiring just one person. Perhaps this was training for someone, but surely Saturday night isn't the time for elementary training?

Having had the experience of dinner the evening before, it was with some trepidation that we went down for breakfast the following morning. (Given the slowness of service, we actually deliberately got up 30 minutes early.). Breakfast was included in the room rate and I was looking forward to the much-vaunted Vegetarian breakfast.

Service was efficient and pleasant, although there appeared to only be one person waiting on. Cereal and juice is self-service but breakfast is from the menu delivered to table. Disappointingly, the Vegetarian breakfast was simply the normal Full English minus the meat. This isn't any worse than many (most) other hotels but I'd hoped for more given the prominence of it in their advertising. The hotel might want to consider whether the cost of a couple of Quorn sausages is really that big a deal and it really would set them apart then.

Breakfast quality was good, the food was well cooked and tasty. Portions were quite mean perhaps, with an undue share of the plate for beans. However, it was one of the better hotel breakfasts I've experienced, possibly as it was cooked to order rather than en masse and drying out under lights.

Overall, I think the hotel is expensive for what it is and where it is. I would however recommend it to others wanting to stay in Cleethorpes. I wouldn't recommend the restaurant for other than breakfast though. I would also advise any potential guests with mobility needs to check accessibility before making any bookings.

• Liked — Location - nice and central, easy to find
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

For my family and myself I booked a weekend at the Dovedale Hotel, on arrival we recieved a warm and friendly welcome.
A very smart and modern hotel with a tastefully decorated reception, bar/lounge and restaurant.
Our good sized family room was very comfortable and clean with all the room facilites required e.g. large 32" freeview tv, excellent for young children.
We had a full english breakfast and later in the day lunch which was served by efficient and attentive staff.
Overall we enjoyed our weekend at the Dovedale and hope to make a return visit sometime soon.

• Liked — everything was satisfactory
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Manc24
19821
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

Myself and my partner stayed at the Dovedale last month. As a young couple we came to cleethorpes for a night out. We booked this hotel as it looked like the best place after doing a little research online. On arrival we received a lovely warm welcome and the room (4 poster with jacuzzi) was lovely, very spacious and clean, maintained to a high standard. The bar area and restaurant are very cosy and welcoming and the staff are discreet and professional. i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning on a break in cleethorpes. Thankyou Dovedale we will be back.

• Liked — the room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 19821
Coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

Well, this is a strange one, possibly one of my hardest reviews.
I booked the dovedale for myself and family, I was going to watch my team play in a nearby town so decided to take in some sea air with the family at the same time.
there is'nt much chioce in cleethorpes and this advitised a family room so that was good enough for me.
on arrivel, we parked out the back (not a lot of space) and with in 20 seconds a rowdy party of people had bumped into my car and hit another, not the hotels fault but no lighting out the back.
we made our way inside and was quite suprised as what looked a tatty over priced B&B on the outside falesly proclaiming itself to be a hotel was acualy very smart,modern and erm for sale?
So we booked in with ease and made our way to the room (family room up 2 flight of stairs and in to a very difficult to manovour coridoor, not easy with 2 kids a case and push chair)
the room was a let down by thestandards of the reception, altough clean, you could tell that the designer didnt have kids!
Plain wardrobe draws double bed and bunk bed, B&B style.
we were told on arivel that our room had a jacuzzi,to my mind though this would make up for the over priced room.
Infact it was a (loud ) wurlpool style bath misrepasenting itself.just to be petty, the taps were broken and had to use the bath for water!
we setled down for the night only to be woken up by a couple next door shouting and screaming (3am) by 3:15 it turn to crying and what sounded like abuse, my wife was scared and I had the kids so stayed put, we phoned reception (as all hotels have night porters, dont they?) and no answer, I 118118 the number for the hotel and phoned that, no answer, by 3:45 I had decided to phone the police, as I did so they couple left still rowing!
we struggled to get any sleep, and in the morning mentioned it to the reception, I was told I would get compensation.
That afternoon he came back to us to say the manager wasnt prepaired to give us anything. not even an opology!.
the manager didnt even speak to us, I didnt make a fuss and just put it down to one of them.
that afternoon we book a seat in the restruant as the menu looked good, we sat down and was given menus, now we have 2 kids who as Im sure your aware do not like to sit in one place for to long, we waited 45min for an empty restraunt before we were asked what we would like!! by this time my wife had gone upstairs with the kids so I phoned and asked what she wanted, I put the order in and she told me that the first 2 Item I ordered were not availible (great) and when I completed the order She told me that it would be a min of 15min before we could be seated!! Aghhh! so I canceld and went to the takeaway at the bottom of the street (very nice)
So, next day, I had booked the restraunt for a mothers day meal, I asked reception If I could have the room for and extra hour so We could get changed for our meal, I was told no and asked to leave the room half an hour earlier than stated!!
Now by this time I had befriended a member of staff and was told pre this request that nobody was booked into this room after us on this day, also the check in time is 2 oclock, check out time is 11 im sure 1 extra hour would'nd of hurt!
so I canceled the meal and left fealing very unpleased and ripped off by a B&B falesly pretendending to be a hotel.
Cleethorpes is an ok place for a day or so, If I stayed again It would be at Suger Suger which I found to a much higher standard to anything else here.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — ariving
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TheBossShop.co.uk

Travellers are raving about these Cleethorpes hotels

Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2007

Quite location just off the seafront although not much on-street parking! Appears to have been recently refurbished and overall quality of accomodation good. Good sized clean rooms, nice to have a jacuzzi/ shower and large flat screen TV in the rooms.
Good choice of reasonably priced food on the menu. Pleasant staff.

Would recommend

• Liked — Jacuzzi in rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
Manchester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2007

This hotel has a contemporary / modern interior in the reception and restaurant area, looks as if it had been recently refurbished. Reasonably priced, as it included breakfast for two of us for around £70 – which was a full English breakfast.

Rooms were not quite as modern, but still well maintained and clean – tea making facilities and a comfy bed. Our room included a balcony and Jacuzzi bath. There was also an iron and ironing board!

Staff were friendly and helpful and happily arranged a taxi for us to near Grimsby.

Very convenient location, close to the promenade and there are some decent bars round the corner.

The restaurant looked nice with a good menu – would definitely want to go back and sample this if in the area again, as we didn’t get the chance this time.

• Liked — Location, modern decor in reception and restaurant
  • Disliked — Rooms not yet in keeping with rest of decor
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TallTravellerUK
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2007

Stopped in a family room in early august with my family not sheap but well worth it. Very clean and friendly enviroment, gives out a very relaxed atmosphere.

Stayed August 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
#3 of 9 in Cleethorpes
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Brackenborough Hotel

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!