“GREAT WEEKEND” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“GREAT WEEKEND”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here as two couples. Only for one night so not in the hotel much but the hotel was lovely. Nice size rooms and room and bathroom all nice and clean and comfy. Personally, have got to say we found all the staff - from the lady on reception to the bar man and from the cleaner to the ladies serving in reception to all be really pleasant and helpful - plus another bonus was the location really conveniently situated. Thanks for a great weekend - if staying in Cleethorpes again will definitely book here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

For the price, expectations may be high, and sadly, are not met. This is a very pleasant Bed and Breakfast, with satisfactory rooms, but nothing special, and certainly no justification for the price. The room was ok, but nowhere near as good quality as even a Travelodge, which would cost at least half the price. Breakfast was functional, with orders taken, rather than a buffet, which means you may be disappointed if you (like me) have a good appetite. The reception and bar staff are however very friendly and helpful, but the overall impression is of a B&B charging way over what should be expected, and that in itself leaves a bit of a sour taste. A significant price drop would make this a much more realistic proposition, and unfortunately, at the current prices, despite having family in the area, I would choose to stay elswhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cleathorpe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The waitress @ around 7:30 on 06.05.14 made me feel unwanted, strange in side Dovdel restaurant. I almost begged her to have a glass of water before & in the middle of the meal as I needed so badly to swallow the food. Thanks to one of the customer who insisted her to serve me. I have been in & out in the area for the last 10 month but I have never
been experienced like this. Regardless of who
you are I believe we all deserve equal treatment. Above all we all human being.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Kul99

Travellers are raving about these Cleethorpes hotels

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here for our wedding night and I am very dissapointed we did. We were situated next door to a young family who were continually banging and screaming at their children. The walls seemed extremely thin and we could hear every conversation they were haiving and when their jaccuzzi bath was on it literally vibrated against our wall. We had to play music on our phones to attempt to drown out the noise. They woke us at 6.00am and we decided to leave the room at 9.00am as we couldnt stand it any longer despite having the room until 12. Me and my partner are both vegeterians and there was no alternatives on the breakfast menu which was poor. The only option we were given was to take the meat off and nothing was offerred in its place which I though was a real let down (and very expensive for what we had). I found the room very small and the carpets were stained and grubby. For the price we paid I wish we had stayed in a Premier Inn, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic evening away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma T
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed for one night in room 102 four poster room, and the family room 103 opposite. Our group consisted of myself and two boys one three and the other fourteen, my teen step son and his girlfriend. The room was well equipped, more than stocked up on tea coffee and hot chocolate, (which is a plus not having to call reception), the bathroom was a decent size, and the jacuzzi baths in both our rooms were a joy after a cold day on the seafront. The family room, is by no means huge, bijou is more how I would sum it up, but it has a lovely 32" flat tv rather than your usual rubbish 16" that should you forget your glasses are unable to see.
The food is beautifully presented and prompt service, we used both room service and ate breakfast in the dining area, as soon as we sat we had our order taken, there is an abundance of cereal, yogurt and juices.The morning we were there was quiet, but like any decent person, if a restaurant is busy, you generally have to wait, they cannot magic food in an instant. I don't get why anyone could say that this place is nothing other than lovely. Ok the lamp shade in my family room needed replacing and maybe some cleaning had been overlooked to my very beady eye, ( but then I am a compulsive cleaner) but the linens where lovely white and fresh. I think a good rule of thumb when staying anywhere other than home is to pack earplugs, but I had a great nights sleep and slept with the window open with only the gulls to be heard. I think the staff and great, the lady at the front desk is a little quiet but think this is more her nature than rudeness. Overall, I have found a lovely little hotel at really good quality prices, I do not usually write reviews, but I stay in the top hotels all over the world whenever I holiday, (if you go away then its a treat to yourself in my view) and do not get the rudeness of some reviews, there are two sides to every story. If you want 5 star then Cleethorpes is a tiny seaside resort thats not quite ready for the likes of the Ritz or Savoy, the prominent customer base would never pay the prices, instead you have here a great little place marketed and priced fairly.WHY WOULD YOU NOT STAY HERE IS BEYONE ME...FAB! Well done the Dovedale, and I fully endorse this lovely little hotel, and my children liked it too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Cleethorpes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Went to the Dovedale tonight for a friends birthday. We decided to go for the 2 for 1 deal. We explained when we ordered that people were sharing certain meals. The food came and was lovely. Unfortunately the bill was incorrect. We told the manager on duty and he was so incredibly rude and started swearing at one of us and told us we had to pay the bill which we did. We will never go back and would seriously recommend, unless you want to run the risk of this yourself, you don't to go here either. Luckily there were no children to witness this but there were plenty of other diners that saw everything.

• Stayed April 2014
10 Thank BridgetPears
Dovedale_Hotel, Manager at The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
I thank all customers who go out of their way to write reviews but I would ask that anyone who reads this particular review to remember that customers threaten to write discrediting reviews on TripAdvisor in order to get a discount on their bill. This doesn't happen often but it did happen with these customers.

The waitress has no recollection of the customers mentioning their intention to pay separately before their meal. If they had, as explained to the customers after their meal, it would not have changed the bill in any case.

The customers questioned the offer and attempted to find a loop holes by reviewing our posters that advertise, and the menu that includes the offer. Having ordered 4 items off a Two-for-One menu, the 2 more expensive items were on the bill and the other two items were taken off the bill, saving them £25.90 in total.

After their meal, a lady came to the bar after having received and checked the bill to question why she had been charged for the two Fillet Steaks when they had wanted to pay separately. We explained the offer and showed the menu but the lady was dissatisfied. We understood what they had expected but the menu clearly states that the cheaper items ordered are free. The difference between the correct bill and the bill they had wanted to pay was £12 (The difference in price between a Fillet Steak and a Beef Burger).

That was the sum total of the issue and should have easily been understood but as they had wanted to pay in couples and were not willing to settle the difference between the two couples (meet half way) the lady continued to insist as if we had made some mistake or should concede the £12.

The lady went back to the table and a gentleman came to the bar and asked the same questions and looked for loopholes in the wording of our Two-for-One offer. Having insisted several times that the bill was correct and that the bill had to be paid, we were threatened with bad reviews on our website and telegraph. That is a great disrespect to any business, and something that we do not yield to.

No swear words were given but our temper had been lost. The gentleman had misunderstood the word damn to be a swear word but we apologised after having said it because it was one word too far, that someone might expect they had been waiting for. A point of matter they have decided to leave out of their review.

After I had conceded the possibility of the gentleman paying the bill, I asked him to return to the table several times until I had to escort him back. This was to reduce the tension.

People who work in this industry understand that you get customers such as these that try to pay less than what is fair but you try everything to appease them anyway. Though, at what cost? The effect would be to set a bad precedent to other customers that a business is open to be exploited with threats of these reviews; whether at the fault of the business that accepts their fault or in this case, the customer that doesn't.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Honestly I found this small hotel..warm..friendly and quite nice...I had the room at the last floor..a part the stairs mothing is wrong with it...people are friendly..it is just around the corner from the seaside...1 min walk...plenty of restaurant around the corner...what you want more? It is really good as it is...prices can be a bit high..but nobody is forcing you to stay here....

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
#3 of 9 in Cleethorpes
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Brackenborough Hotel

Been to The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!