“Excellent food but a poor hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant

The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent food but a poor hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed here every July for the last 3 years, usually for 4 nights. It is a typical seaside 'big house converted into a b&b hotel type place' (think blackpool etc..). Rooms are small, cramped and a little damp/smelly. Bathroom extraction fan was really noisy, shower was dirty and had small bugs on floor. Bedding was nice, beds comfy and not as much noise from other rooms as you'd think.

Staff were a mixed bunch, ranging from super helpful (bar staff) to a tad miserable (hotel front desk/manager). I was particularly annoyed one night when the fire alarm went off at 2am, all the guests gathered downstairs and the manager told me (in front of all the other annoyed, tired guests) that the alarm came from my room. I'm 31 and have never smoked in my life. I told this to the staff but was met with suspicion, This wasn't nice. Also one morning i tried checking out at 7am but i was told i had to wait 30mins due to it 'being too early to check out'. Hardly.

The thing that saves this place is the restaurant/bar, i think the food is good to excellent and the outside patio is lovely in summer for a beer. Staff on the bar are overworked but friendly. The seafood in particular is excellent. Fish n chips is pretty good as well. Parking is limited so you have to get it early. Close to seafront for walks and a good curry house 1min away.

Not the best but i'll be back just for the food.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ravmanuk14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Castleford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for one night on the Friday and having paid 149 pound was expecting a lot the hotel reception/bar was very nice as where the rooms we stayed in an executive room which has a spa bath and four poster bed the two downfalls for me was firstly the price I think it was overpriced maybe more around the 100 pound mark would be more suitable and secondly half of the staff we interacted with were miserable to say the least on arrival the girl that checked us in wasn't very helpful or welcoming I mean a smile costs nothing but all in all it was a pleasant stay but I don't think I personally would stay here again

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mark S
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I visited dovedale restaurant with a group of work colleagues. My food was very nice and the cocktails were also very nice. Waiting service was very good and the staff were knowledgeable of food allergies as I had asked if my preferred dish was gluten free and they told me straight away that it was which is always nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Last night we went for a meal with all of our staff, only one word to describe the experience, fantastic, we where given the side room for our meal which was lovely, we we're treat to outstanding service by all waiting staff, and bar staff and the meal was beautiful, thanks to everyone at the dovedale who made are evening so special

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I went for a business trip in july. It is a quiet room but the room is smell. It was hot in july. Took the Fan in the room out and found the fan is dirty. Took a shower, the water pressure is very low and Shower room outlet is block. High price and low in standard. Will try another hotel next time.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cleethorpes hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We’d recently had an excellent short break at the Dovedale, so when we needed to organize a family celebration the Dovedale seemed the perfect choice. Sadly the hotel has gone downhill and we were wrong… I booked a double room (for us) and a twin room (for two spritely pensioners) nearly a month in advance by phone directly with the hotel. When we arrived our room was slightly shabby, but clean, but the room for our relatives was so poor that they would rather go home than stay in it. With hindsight that is what we should have done. Instead I asked for a replacement room – which the hotel could/would not do – and although the receptionist volunteered her opinion that the room was dark and dingy, she didn’t care. Instead we swapped into the “twin room” while our same sex relatives would rather share a bed than stay in the “dungeon”.
The room smelt, possibly due to the damp towels from the previous residents hanging on the bathroom door. The bathroom tiled floor was grubby. The room was also so dark you could not read even with lights on (the scuffed maroon walls with grey paint didn’t help). The room was also outside the hotel in a corridor to the car park, so having curtains open was difficult. The doormat was fixed to the floor by duct tape. Basically awful….
Breakfast on the 2nd day was barely better. At 8:45am most of the cereals and fruit juice was gone. We waited over ten minutes before we asked the young girl to take our order (there was only one other table occupied). Then another ten minutes before we asked if we could have the tea/coffee we ordered 10 minutes ago.
To top the trip off, although I was told that the room charges were lower than shown on the hotel’s web site I was charged full price. The hotel ruined our trip and we’ll never go back again…. So I'd recommend you avoid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top of the hotel - the top floor double room we had was nice. The rooms I'...