“A valentines meal out - superb!”

Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Cleethorpes
Louth, United Kingdom
“A valentines meal out - superb!”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Having heard an excellent reputation about the Kingsway Hotel in Cleethorpes for good food - I booked a table for my partner and myself for valentines day. I left it rather last minute (the day before, as I was hoping he'd booked it but alas no!) however managed to get a table for 9pm - rather late but worked out quite well as my partner works till late.
We arrived early and managed to get a parking space right outside the front door (bonus) and made our way to reception where we told a very polite receptionist of our reservation. She told us to make ourselves comfortable in the bar area whilst we waited. Inside it was very oldy worldy with beautiful art on the walls - very picturesque! It wasn't long after we sat down with our drinks that a waiter arrived to give us the evening menu to browse. Returning a good time afterwards with a pen and paper to take our order and then leading us through to our table - very professional service. We were happy that there was bread on the table as an appetizer, as we were starved! My partner ordered a starter, which which was homemade chicken liver and brandy pate and bread with a side salad, which he said was delicilous!
For mains, I had the duck - gorgeously cooked in a plum sauce with tatties and vegetables - nicely sliced into edible segments. Whilst my other half had beef with a cheese sauce, which he said was cooked to his liking - there wasn't any left!
I even had room for pudding, which I was glad for as there was a lemon cheesecake, which was scrumptuous! Staff were attentive even though it was the end of the evening and brought the food out in a very timely fashion so we didn't have to wait long. Left feeling full and happy with a wonderful experience of food and service :) Hopefully my partner will take me again one day, although a bit on the expensive side - the food is definately worth it for that special occasion and the oldy worldy feel is definately something we enjoyed!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Auckland NZ
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I walked in off the street for this one - no booking. They had a room, and happy with the rate, stayed a couple of nights. Good brekky, secure car park and well, I'd be happy to stay again.
First rate staff.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here for one night and found the room to be comfortable and spacious. The bathroom had both a bath and a shower and was a really good size. Breakfast was a combination of buffet and cooked breakfast to order. The food was good and service was attentive and homely. This hotel is on the seafront and is well located for a walk along the beach in the morning. The service in the hotel was very good. The only downside was that it was quite a walk to the room and with luggage negotiating stairs was tiring.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
uk
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Recent Stay for 1 night, room was clean but basic and in my opinion a little dated, staff were reasonably friendly but lacking in customer service skills.. I ate in the Restaurant and not once during the 3 courses did any of the restaurant team ask if everything was ok with the food etc.. fortunately, the food was excellent but spoilt by the lack of attention.. shame really because i think with a better focus on customer service this hotel could really shine.. great location.. would i stay there again.. yes, definately.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank sunnydays24
Caistor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Room was spacious and quiet, bathroom was lovely, large modern with a bath and a shower separate. Polite receptionist who organised a taxi. Traditional breakfast served upon matching china. Traditional seaside hotel with old world charm.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Lisa P
Liverpool
Reviewed 24 November 2011

As a frequent visitor to Grimsby I'd always liked the look of the Kingsway which overlooks the promenade. During our recent stay we found the hotel to be just what we thought - fantastic. Very welcoming staff, very clean, excellent standard of room with tea / coffee available. The bathroom had been recently refurbished to a high standard. The breakfast (cooked) was lovely and I could have had 2! There is a car park to the rear but we had ample space on the prom. A great stay, shame it could not have been longer! Mike

Room Tip: Possibly you may request a room with a sea view ?
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I arrived at the Kingsway hotel in June and i was very excited.But when i got there at reception the lady there told me that my room is not ready.She went at the housekeeper and asked her when my room will be ready.She told me that in ONE HOUR!!! She told me to go to the bar if i want.I went to the bar but there SUPRISE!!! The bar was closed.I went for a walk at the beach and wait for my room to be ready.I booked my room 3days in advance so i was not happy that i had to wait. The room was ok...some dust in the toilet but the bed very comfortable.I also found old water in the kettle.
The receptionist a young brunette girl was very rude with me i asked her if i can have breakfast in my room (it was 11 am).She said that the chef is not there but instead she gave me directions for a coffe shop around there.Next day at breakfast i asked for brown toasted bread and they give me white bread then at lunch i asked for a chiken salad they gave me a sort of fried chicken with tomatoes.
Sorry...i can see that this hotel has quite good reviews but i did not enjoyed my stay there at all.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank gigela_c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleethorpes
The Burlington Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grimsby
Humber Royal Hotel
Humber Royal Hotel
#2 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Kingsway Hotel Cleethorpes? Share your experiences!