“Great fish and chips”

Ranked #49 of 155 Restaurants in Cleethorpes
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

We had lunch at the Cleethorpes Mermaid as part of a family day trip to the seaside. The building is a nice example of Victorian architecture, next to the railway station. The food was great, the chips were nice and thick and the fish was excellent, chunky cod with a light, crispy batter and at £5.20 for an adult portion, good value. There aren't too many seats inside but we didn't have to wait too long for a table to become available. I would definitely recommend this chip shop.

2  Thank Matt_Tomo

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Fantasticly battered and cooked cod, nicely cooked chips and at a not over the top price, highly recommended.

1  Thank becd1984
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2013

i went to your.cafe with agroup of adults with learning disabilities what pleasent staff great food value for money recommend it to anyone everyone commented how good it was and how they enjoyed it .

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 July 2013

i went with a group of adults with learning disabilities. the staff were fantastic didn't talk down to my clients or talk to me. lunch time deal was perfect for them and fish was cooked fresh for us. recommended it to another colleague but was always full and couldn't get it

2  Thank lizzierich
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Decided to take my wife here because from the outside it looks like a lovely little Chippy situated in a cute Victorian-esque building. Enjoy the façade and the architecture as this is the only enjoyment you will receive. Following a wait of approximately 10 minutes for two portions of chips, one with curry sauce, I took my seat. Much to my suprise I nearly slipped off it... T'was many moons ago it saw soap and water. Tucking into my frighteningly overcooked chips I was suprised that I forgot to add vinegar. But I'm sure I already had!! Much to my everlasting memory, it was very watered down to an extent that must be awarded... Sparse too was the serving of curry sauce. And don't be contented that a complaint will rectify any problems. The youthful staff hardly have the energy to muster up a grumble, and continue to work through what must be a very difficult hangover only truly capable of providing vacant expressions and more burnt chips. Avoid this place and go somewhere else. I'll end on a plus for this chippy... At least it didn't give us food poisoning. Well done on that!!

2  Thank Quirky_biker