“Fantastic day and night”
Review of Sugar Sugar

Sugar Sugar
Ranked #24 of 25 Cleethorpes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2010

After reading the reviews on here i was very worried about having booked this hotel but kept an open mind and i'm so glad i didn't cancel. We stayed in the warhol suite and it was massive. Full length mirrors and it was clean. The bed was lovely and very comfy. The hotel was clean too and the bar downstairs was an added bonus. Especially on a night time as it was the last place we were so could nip upstairs to our room, no walking home. I think it is a young peoples hotel as the bar downstairs is very lively. You could hear the music a little upstairs but things like that don't bother us. If your very petty then maybe it would. We didn't bother with the breakfast, we walked to a cafe down the road which was 4 quid for an english breakfast.

All in all i could not fault this hotel, we had a fab time and would defo book again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2010

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels around the uk and I've never experienced a hotel like this and that's not a good thing. With a rare day off at the same time as my wife currently seven months pregnant and truly deserving a break and relax we decided to go to Cleethorpes for the 1st time ever and found the sugar sugar hotel, with great pictures on the web site we booked and paid £65 for the night. The hotel wasn't in the worst area yet it was run down not somewhere you exspect to find a hotel advertising it self as it does the area was best matched to a b&b for a lads weekend but it's what's in side you pay for so it didn't bother me over the out side. We checked in with the bar that is under the hotel they checked us in fast but never told us anything about are stay, breakfast, car park ect. we checked in to the room and at 1st was happy but straight away had to leave to find a car park space at the other side of the town centre as the hotel does not as advertised have a car park for guests. When we got back to the hotel room budda budda we started to Motown the small things paint chipped off the wall no light bulbs cracks in the tiles of the bathroom and no tv remote. I called the reception to ask about breakfast as I was told when booking there was a continental breakfast served only to be told that the hotel no longer does breakfast but they can send up some cerial in the morning but it wouldn't be until about 10. I can let slot slide so we decided to not worry and try to have a relaxing night. Come 10 pm the bar below the hotel came to life the music came on and was very load, the was also several times that the bar staff would drag bins full if bottles out side and it made everything worse it was sk load with fans going to keep the bar cool out side your window, I called down to see what time the nose would end and was told around 3am. Come midnight both my self and wife had a head ach and couldn't no matter how much we tried sleep, it cane to a point when the dj turned the music up at 12.15 we decided to drive the 56 miles home so we could get some sleep, the hotel didn't do anything to try and get us to stay it had the be the worst hotel u have ever stayed in and j would urge anyone reading this to stay away if you want a relaxing break or sleep.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Williamegan
Reviewed 23 March 2010

2 night stay.
Bad bits
At the time of writing the hotel website mentions it resturant and even has a special offer on food. Arrived to find that the hotel no longer serves food. The room key machine was broken so every time I went out someone had to let me back in. Went down on first morning for breakfast to be greeted by "oh did they not tell you about breakfast". The young lady - nice piercings - then got me a pre packed box to take back to my room - cornflakes, pastry, juce - nice! Loud party in resturant next door until midnight. Young Staff - not well trained. Could not put drinks on room bill.
Good bits
Nice concept - good if unusual rooms. Young Staff - friendly - good to look at. Free wireless internet.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I would not recomend this "hotel" for weekend stays, my wife and I stayed over on Saturday night for bed and breakfast following a friends birthday party and did not get any sleep until 2.40am when the disco downstairs had finished and the hum of a loud fan had stopped at 3am. We were then woken on Sunday morning at 7 am by the noise of a delivery to the "hotel" and the return of the fan, although we did get some sleep for an hour or so following that. The breakfast did not exist despite being told on booking, on arrival and by notice in the room that our stay included breakfast.

To be honest it says in their promotional material that they have a disco at weekends, what it does not say is that it is almost as loud in the room at it is in the bar. The room was ok ish, but the fixtures were of poor quality the TV remote did not work, the blinds did not open and the "mini bar" was filthy as was the tea making facility area.

It is the worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in, if you can call it a hotel, it is more like a bar with rooms, it has no dedicated check in or reception and we did not see any sign of staff apart from those in the bar.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2009

OK, so you buy a Pub in the centre of Cleethorpes. You have imagination, drive and cash. Above the pub you bought is a labyrinth of worn out rooms you probably did not want.

So you create a " designer themed" hotel.

Good idea, 85% well executed, but not followed through, because, I suspect, you never really wanted a hotel to run in the first place.

I am being REALLY unfair here! The imagination used here is great and it has been delivered well, look at their web site. The rooms are great, I suspect a few car boot sales were visited to get the effects, but I would have done the same. The room, en suite etc was extremely comfortable, attractive and all worked. I am unused to having a 50" tv (yes 50 inch) in my bedroom but it could grow on me.

But no glasses in the room, unwashed mini bar sink area, dust about the place.

Breakfast fas good, very generous, but I did feel I was imposing on the previous nights pub staff to provide it. My colleague joined me, having driven from 5am from Bristol and they charged him 99p for coffee.

So - good idea, pretty good execution, OK delivery, but lacking attention to detail at the price level they want to achieve.

It is perfectly OK, but Tudor Terrace is better - if you can get in.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank SirBrianMiddleton
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Stayed the weekend in Sugar Sugar's play lounge. The room was excellent, very well decorated and spacious. The service was fantastic and i would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Loved this hotel !! We stayed in the Morocco room which was lovely, all pale green with a brass four poster bed and morrocan wall lights and little shutters on the windows .
Very modern en suite ,I was amazed at the décor and wanted to look in all the rooms ,Our friends stayed in the Buddha room which was just as nice .
Very different to anything ive stayed in before !
Bar down stairs is very popular and lively, Hotel itself is in a good central location.
Only negative few things missing from the kitchen inventory -cups ? sugar ? but I could live with that .
As a traveller who enjoys a breakfast in the morning I was not dissapointed with this one
Loved it ,Hope to visit again !!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends