“Very nice meal indeed!”

The Barge
Ranked #14 of 189 Restaurants in Grimsby
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very nice meal indeed!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Having read the reviews i decided i would try the Barge and i was not disappointed with the food at all. I always have fish, chips and peas (i know boring but that is what i like) when i eat out, the fish was cooked perfectly, the batter spot on and in general the overall plate of food was very tasty. My daughter had chicken in sauce, salad and chips and she also enjoyed her food. For dessert we had chocolate brownie and ice cream, the bowl was made up lovely and every mouthful was delicious. The red wine i had was also very nice, not bitter tasting like in some establishments.

I give the food a five as it is by far the nicest meal i have had out in Grimsby area and in my opinion the fish and chips were tastier than Steels.

The actual barge was not something i have been on before, no fault of anyone but i felt a bit lopsided on it and it felt weird being on a boat, but then i guess that made it a quirky place. The establishment clearly had it's regulars and when served, the barmaid was polite but not overly welcoming. The chef came over with the food and seemed to be proud of what he serves up (quite rightly so). All in all i would definitely go back and i look forward to sampling other food on the menu, which offered a great variety!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Claire9897

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Good food, great value for money.”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The food is good, I'd say a little better than your average gastro pub. What makes this place great is the portions and cost. I had the fajitas once and two of us didn't manage to clear the plate. They have a reasonably varied menu as well as a few specials. It is a rock and roll venue but don't let that scare you, during the day it's just a pleasant pub. The staff are very friendly and welcoming.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank lukeis2cool
“Pretty average really!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Visited today (12/09/13) with my wife. We had heard a couple of good reviews from other people that had been and based on the fact it's number two on Trip Advisor we were looking forward to having lunch onboard the Barge. The food was reasonably priced. I had steak pie and my wife opted for the blue cheese burger which were both £5.95. The service was ok. Food is ordered at the bar. The staff were friendly. Our food arrived after about ten minutes and we were asked if everything was ok. That's the thing, it was ok, nothing spectacular. The pie was nice enough with plenty of meat. Perhaps a little on the dry side. It came with a nice amount of chunky frozen chips and cabbage and carrots. It also came with a small pot of gravy. My wife's burger looked and tasted cheap. I suspect it was frozen. It was greasy. The sauce had a vinegary taste to it which was overpowering. Both meals were hot. Don't think we'd rush back to be honest. Not quite sure how this is currently rated number two on here. I suspect it has something to do with the regulars giving it a good rating perhaps?! Time will tell.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Paulwells267
holton le clay
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

At last, great food, drinks service atmosphere combo, and what's better its on our doorstep! Probably one of the best places to eat this side of the Atlantic!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank emmylou38
Amsterdam
“Food!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Came her after seeing it was No1 on here, was pleasantly surprised! Although a few tweaks could be made I would thoroughly recommend the food. I had Curry, needed more spice as was very bland and my rice was watery, but my partners burger was out of this world. Would not hesitate too come back at all!! :)

• Visited July 2013