“Avoid room 339 if you want a good nights rest!”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Tyneside
“Avoid room 339 if you want a good nights rest!”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times before as it's near the train station and handy for my business appointments. It's not the classiest of hotels and doesn't puport to be. What you get is a fairly dated clean room and an adequate bar and decent restaurant. Staff are friendly and helpful. I had the misfortune to ask for a 'quiet' room as I'm a light sleeper and was given room 339 by Carl, who I must say was very polite and courteous. Unfortunately, during the early hours of the morning I was waken by a tremendous racket followed by a loud humming noise like a motor vibrating. aAfter ten minutes or so I couldn't stand it any longer and did what I've never done before, I rang reception to enquire whether we were under attack from aliens. The desk promised to send someone up and after a minute or two there was a knock on the door and the guy said that next door to my room there was a 'flue' which kicked in two or three times a day and made a bit of a din. This 'flue' decided to kick in again on three of four further occasions, the last one being at 5 a.m. At check out I was offered a free nights stay but declined as I didn't want to be seen as trying to 'con' my way out of paying my fairly modest bill.

I'd stay at the hotel again, but definately not in room 339!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments, we pride ourselves on achieving high standards, and it’s always nice for my team to receive feedback as we strive for even higher standards.

I personnelly would like to apologise for the banging of the pipes in the early hours of the morning. This has now been investgated and measure are in place to resolve this problem.

I very much look forward to having opportunity in welcoming you back on your next visit to Grimsby

I will certainly pass on your review to my team, whom always like to know we achieved our goals of exceeded our guest expectations.

Paul Grantley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed at the st james hotel for the weekend was very good for the price with the room of a good standerd the staff very pleasent dinner in the resturant saturday night food and menu with lots of choce breakfast buffet sunday morning which was plenty and very good excellent value

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Guest.
I would like to thank you for the positive comments, which you have made regarding your stay at the St James Hotel.
I have been at the hotel for over 5 years and I have always emphasised to my team about the importance of good customer service.
I pride myself on offering quality food and over the time we all have worked hard to offer good quality, affordable product.
The hotel is undergoing a soft refurbishment to the rooms and when we have completed this then I will be starting on the public areas.
I am so please that you have had a wonderful stay and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you again for commenting on your stay.
Kind regards

Market Rasen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel whilst visiting friends. Check in was ok, although there was an attempt to charge us despite already having booked and paid through Superbreaks. We were initially wary of the hotel as my partner used to live in Grimsby and it didn't have a great reputation, however after having viewed the photos on the website we were reassured. We were therefore shocked when we entered our room and were greeted by an incredibly strong smell of disinfectant coupled with dated and stained furniture and walls. The bathroom was also equally dated. The bed was extremely hard and did not make for a good nights sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was equally disappointing. As well as the buffet options, there was also a menu of additional hot items. After waiting some time, I asked a member of staff who appeared to be the manager, if it would be possible to order several items. I was greeted with a sigh, and he returned several minutes later with pen and pad. I asked for vegetarian sausages and poached eggs well cooked as I am pregnant. About 5 minutes later I was informed that there were no vegetarian sausages. A further five minutes passed and I was told that the chef had ruined the eggs. Around 5 to 10 minutes later the eggs appeared, however as soon as I cut into them, the yolk poured out onto the plate. The waiter/ manager appeared and asked if the eggs were ok. I explained that I could not eat the eggs runny due to being pregnant. There was a half hearted offer to redo them, however it was very clear that there was no interest in trying to provide me with food that I could eat. There was another waiter serving, who was slightly older than the person who served us. He seemed more polite and helpful, and perhaps we would have had amore positive experience if he had served us.
I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone. They may be in the process of renovating it, however we could see no evidence of this.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen87
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Helen87,

I was disappointed to read your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. As a manager, I strive to ensure all staff are trained to the highest possible standards. I was most upset to find this was not the case on your recent visit and can assure you that the matter has been fully investigated and steps have been taken to ensure this will not happen again.

We are upgrading our bedrooms, public areas and many other facets of the property. As you can appreciate, this takes time and is an ongoing project. I would like to thank you for your feedback and can confirm that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, and if you would like to further discuss the matter you can contact me direct at the hotel.

Yours Sincerely

Paul Grantley

Travellers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

harrow
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife and I stayed one night as we were visiting family in the area.Did not expect too much due to the price we were being charged.Very pleasantly supplied .We had dinner food was great and of good quality.We had breakfast which was buffet style and hot and tasty Excellent and the staff members we spoke were very polite helpful and friendly.We will certainly stay here again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JJJHarrow
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments, your have made on tripadvisor here at the St James we pride ourselves on making all guest welcome and hope there have a pleasent stay and it’s always nice for my team to receive feedback in the way you have stated.
The team alway put 100% in make sure that we give the best service.

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

stayed at the St James this weekend top service rooms good and good town location breakfast buffet brilliant will stay at St James when visiting Grimsby again staff very friendly

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments, here at the St James we pride ourselves on achieving high standards, and it’s always nice for my team to receive feedback like your comment as we strive for even higher standards.
Much work has been done in the hotel over the time I have been the Manager and it make it all weath while when guests can see the change we have made.

BIG CITY
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed here with my wife for 2 nights, both nights we ate in the restaurant, and both morning we had breakfast. I must say the food was good, especially the breakfast! The choice is huge for both breakfast and dinner, a little overwhelmingly so. There are offers on everything and deals coming at you from all directions, even room rates. Now I like an offer as much as the next man, but this hotel are literally giving things away!
The staff on check in we're great, we were greeted by the reception manager, a lovely bubbly lady whos name I forget, who gave us all relevant information about the hotel and pointed us in the right direction with the minimum of fuss.
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the beautiful church and it's grounds. We did not have a problem with youths loitering as previously mentioned in other reviews.
The room itself was clean and comfortable with all the amenities.
The first night we thought we'd try out the restaurant within the hotel as we were meeting family in the bar area.
Our order was taken in the bar by Alex, the barman, and we were asked if we would prefer to eat in the restaurant, which we opted to do. The barman prepared our table and took our drinks through once our starter arrived, what a wonderful touch!
The mean itself was good, and the portions plentiful! Service was excellent and the staff knowledgeable. I know it's a cliche but nothing was too much trouble for them. A 3 course meal for 4 of us including a bottle of wine came to £80... Yes, £80. I would have been willing to pay a great deal more!
As for breakfast there is a continental and "full English" style self-service buffet which is fresh and fantastic. I opted for the cooked breakfast and met the chef, Darren, he greated me with a cheerful good morning and asked how we were enjoying breakfast and the hotel. It just goes to show how all the staff care immensely about their customers even the chefs, whom I always assumed were Gordon Ramsay type fireballs.

Needless to say we had a wonderful stay here and will be returning again when visiting family.
I felt compelled to write this review after the slating the hotel has received here in recent months. I understand not everyone's stay is the same, and not everything can be 100% all of the time, but our stay was.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank helloholiday123
, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 3 July 2012

Guildford
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Am staying here with work, wish they had booked an alternative. Run down, shabby, tired, very thin uncomfortable mattress. I would suggest a different place to stay. Restaurant food was average. Staff average as well.

Room Tip: rooms in a different hotel would be better!