The St. James Hotel Grimsby
  • Breakfast included
Ginnie's(Cleethorpes)
Kings Royal Hotel(Cleethorpes)
View Hotel
All reviewsshopping centrebit datedhotel is situatedhotel staffshort staycar parkingsunday morningexcellent value for moneystayed here for one nightrailway stationan overnight stayevening mealchurchminsterpubsappearance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed on 21st July 2012 for one night with my fiance, we had his mother staying in the next room. Hotel had large wedding partying into the night which meant restaurant was out of use. Rooms were cramped, dirty, smelly and dated, no towels were provided and neither were any toiletries for the bathroom, when we asked for shower gel sachets we were told they didnt provide them, but after speaking to the grumpiest male receptionist he begrudgingly agreed to give us a sachet each!!! tea coffe facilities in the room were awful and the bathroom was filthy, Breakfast next morning was mass produced and tasteless, only bonus was the yoghurts were quite nice!!! Would never go there again and for £120.00 it was a total rip off

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear Guest

Firstly we thank you for bring to our attention your issues with regard to your recent stay with us here at St James Hotel.

We are aware that our main Restaurant was not available to your during your stay due to the Wedding party however our Crest Suite could have facilitated you. We do cater for Wedding or special occasions this is part of our business. We do state this on our web site that alternative dining areas as available to our guests.

May we say that our new arrival rooms are checked on a daily basis by our housekeeping team and cannot understand why there was no towels or shampoo in your bathrooms please accept our sincere apologies for this oversight. Our Housekeeping team, are very strict on the level of hygiene in our rooms however the ambience of the rooms are admittedly some what outdated. Moving on we are continuing our soft furnishing refurbishments which takes time.

Our breakfast buffet has always received high acclaim from our guests so to read your comment regarding our Breakfast this is quiet disappointing and hurtful we do take pride in our buffet and strive to give good service, tasty food verity and value for money.

We would think that £120.00 for two rooms one sole use for 3 person on a bed and breakfast basis is good value for money.

I was again up set to read the comment regarding the staff as many guests have positive comments to say about all our staff who work at the hotel. We pride ourselves on offering a friendly and professional attitude to all guests.

I thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention as it is the only way we can progress and meet our customers exceptions.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here overnight in a family room it was a business/family visiting trip and the hotel was very reasonably priced for the 3 of us and the hotel itself is very well situated for shopping,1 minute round the corner is the main shopping centre. The room was dated but it was clean and tidy and had all facilities we required, they are in need of a facelift though just to bring it up to the more modern decor that people are used to nowadays.

It was a weekday so there were quite a few workmen staying in the hotel but this was not a problem at all, they did not affect our stay. The staff are all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble even when we asked for an extra pillow at 11pm,(there were 2 extras in the room) they were great with our 8 year old Son too.

Breakfast was lovely, the selection was great! I would stay here again if we needed somewhere cheap with the kids but not for a romantic break with my husband.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

We thanks you for your feedback, it’s always good to receive reviews from our guests. We were delighted to learn that you and your family were comfortable and enjoyed your stay with us.

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, we take all comment on board and we are continuing to upgrade the hotel and room facilities accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and assure you of our personal attention at all time.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed here overnight on business & although the staff were very friendly, I sadly wouldn't stay here again. When you walk in the hotel you get a nice polite welcome & the staff are all great, but the hotel itself looks so tired & worn. According to management there is a facelift happening but if I'm honest I didn't see any proof of that. The rooms were clean & tidy, but very basic and very dated. The bed gave me a bad back it was that hard. The bathroom was tidy & fairly clean. But again very dated. My one annoyance out of it all was breakfast serving times upto 9am. Considering I arrived at 1130pm the previous night I thought it was very early to finish breakfast. I was never actually told when checking in when breakfast hours were, I thought honestly though that it would of been upto 1030am at least. I think this could be a really nice hotel if the refurb was all done maybe I would try again. But sadly I don't recommend this hotel for couples.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at St James Hotel in Grimsby

I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and as the General Manager I have passed on your comments to all my hotel team, regarding the explanation of the breakfast. i can assure you that food is served all day and may the breakfast buffet is not avaliable at 9am but you can have food from 7am until 9.30pm.

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the year, but do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment.

Please call me on 0844 7368612 or email me on gm.stjames@corushotel.com to discuss this further.

Kind

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I think I have to echo a few of the last reviews, the building and the rooms are all very dated and I am not sure I would come here for a romantic weekend, but everything was clean and the bed comfortable and though I didn’t have much interaction with the staff in the little I had they were very good friendly helpful and very efficient.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Dirne72

Dear Guest
I thanks for your feedback, it’s always nice to receive reviews from our guests.

Again I would like to apologies and if you wish to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future so that you can see the changes.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We booked a colleague in here and were very embarrassed when he told us what it was like. We went to see for ourselves. There was the horrendous retching and banging about as some drunk was evidently throwing up in the adjacent room, and clearly not having much luck staying upright.

The staff are super and it's not their fault the building is a complete pit. It needs serious investment. the staff are as friendly, professional and genuine as can be.

Avoid for business - our colleague could not get on the wireless Internet and was told he had used the allowance!!!!! What.??? He asked for some more allowance and it was only when he said he would leave immediately and they could stick the bill did they bend the rules and allow him to reconnect. Grimsby may not use email but the rest of the third world does. And he was booked in for three weeks!

If you have the choice, stay somewhere else. If everywhere else is full, give it a go but expect what it is. We could not believe that places like this still existed. With improved, more modern facilities these staff could work wonders.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I was disappointed to read the comment about that your colleague having problems with the WIFI system. I have investigated the comment made by our staff and can assure you that the comments made about your colleague using up the allowance was true. The receptionist was explaining that you have to get a code every 24 hours not saying that he could not have anymore allowance. There is retraction allocated to the wifi as down loading film and music uses the allowance very quickly.

Kind regards